Panasonic Plasma or Sharp LCD HDTV

I am stuck in the middle of a tough decision. I am looking at 2 different HDTV's and need some advice. I am looking at the following:

37" Panasonic Plasma HDTV (TH-37PX60U) and 37" Sharp LCD HDTV (LC-37D62U)

I know there are major differences between the TV's. One being plasma and the other LCD as well as one broadcasting 720p and the other 1080p. I plan to use the TV with my XBOX360 and a Comcast HD digital cable box. The pricing I have for each is that I can get the Plasma for $999 and the LCD for $1699 (might even be able to get it lower through a family friend who owns a local store). The LCD has a higher resolution which I like because I also plan to hookup my desktop to the TV so that I can view movies and pictures etc. on it.

What do you guys think the best decision to go with would be? Its basically an older model versus a brand new model. Thanks!

If you plan on using the TV as a monitor I would suggest LCD but there's a big price difference and the plasma is cheaper, I would go with that :-P. Bad thing about Plasma is how the picture burns in if left on, if you can go with LCD do that :)

I would go with the Sharp. I never cared for the image quality on Panasonic's 60 series.

If you plan on using the TV as a monitor I would suggest LCD but there's a big price difference and the plasma is cheaper, I would go with that :-P. Bad thing about Plasma is how the picture burns in if left on, if you can go with LCD do that :)

Burn in is very rare these days. Image retention is the more likely case.

Thanks for the input guys. I am also leaning towards the Sharp LCD since it is new on the market and has higher resolution. I plan to use this at home until I move out into my own place.

Ok after some discussion with a family friend who owns a local TV store, he has convinced me to go with another Sharp model. He says to go with the Sharp LCD HDTV (LG-37GP1U) which is the same model I was looking at only made for gaming and has a DVI-I, 3 HDMI and 2 Component HD inputs. I can get this even for cheaper then the original Sharp at $1500. Does anyone know any other details about this set?

So I ended up getting the Sharp LCD HDTV (LG-37GP1U) for $1500. I got to say, this TV is amazing. This is hands down the best 1080p HDTV set at 37" I have seen on the market currently and would recommend it to anyone. If I get some time I will try to write a review on all its features, especially since it is really made for gaming.

So are the Samsung TV's which have a "Game Mode" designed by Microsoft. I'm glad you enjoy the set, but after spending that much money, most people would say anything is the best.

Burn in is very rare these days. Image retention is the more likely case.

I was wondering about that.

My parents are thinking about getting a big plasma TV. They watch A LOT of soccer, and the score board and time is always at the same spot on the screen.

The news program they watch every morning (and always forget to switch off) has the logo at the same spot too.

I can't figure out whether burn in is an issue, since I've never owned a plasma before.

I was wondering about that.

My parents are thinking about getting a big plasma TV. They watch A LOT of soccer, and the score board and time is always at the same spot on the screen.

The news program they watch every morning (and always forget to switch off) has the logo at the same spot too.

I can't figure out whether burn in is an issue, since I've never owned a plasma before.

It could be an issue, but usually it's a case of image retention which is temporary. Most plasmas also implement technologies such as pixel shift to help prevent the issue.

It could be an issue, but usually it's a case of image retention which is temporary. Most plasmas also implement technologies such as pixel shift to help prevent the issue.

Thanks. I feel a lot better going out to get a plasma.

I just wish the TV programs will get a clue and move the logos and scoreboard around to different corners of the screen every now and then :laugh:

Thanks. I feel a lot better going out to get a plasma.

I just wish the TV programs will get a clue and move the logos and scoreboard around to different corners of the screen every now and then :laugh:

If you'll look every now and then, you'll notice they have made many of the logos semi transparent to help a little bit. ESPN is the worst offender, though. Not only do they have the ticker on the bottom, but they use branded sidebars when showing SD content. That gets retained very quickly.