Attempting to buy a Wii

buy a wii from somewhere else and use the gift cards to buy the games and accessories... voila! (good luck trying to find a wii)

Agreed. That is what I finally wound up choosing to do.

I really wanted to wait until one of the game stores here in the US had them in stock, as I was going to trade in a LOT of items including my DS Lite, but none of them has had them in forever. Finally I woke up at 5:30 AM this past sunday and went and waited in line, and got one. So I am now going to use my trade in credit, when I do trade the stuff in, for games, etc.

Basically look at it like this.

Credit (Now)-Cash (Later) or Cash (Now)-Credit (Later)

Because believe me, you will definitely be buying more accessories eventually, and also games.

Out of curiosity, today I asked my local GAME store whether they had any in stock, and they said no. They didn't seem to have a clue when they would be receiving any either. Pretty useless really, I would of thought they knew when they received stock?

Out of curiosity, today I asked my local GAME store whether they had any in stock, and they said no. They didn't seem to have a clue when they would be receiving any either. Pretty useless really, I would of thought they knew when they received stock?

GAME never know anything and can never advise you. You will get the odd ball who should work in a better store but for the most part their crap. However in the case of the wii and to be fair to GAME many retailers don't know when they will have the wii in stock. Gamestation didn't, Tesco didn't and all the other places I went to didn't know. One of the people in Tesco told me the suppliers try to even distribution out across the country so retailers literally won't know if their getting the units in stock or not until a day or two before the lorry turns up. So in essence no one is guaranteed to get stock quickly if what the guy in Tesco told me was true; and I had no reason not to believe him. Most of the places I went could appreciate the demand for the wii and the disappointment customers had when they weren't in stock and gave advice. The thing with GAME is that their abrupt with their answers and have a half soaked couldn't care less attitude about it all and basically didn't want to be bothered with another "do you have the wii in stock?" question.

maybe a little social engineering is in order... to get the information that you need. ask them how they are, then ask them an opinon question that has no relevance to you but could be a hotly discussed topic in their industry and sound interested by their opinion, then if you have time chat about the world and life in general without sounding like a complete idiot... and finally... pop the question as if it came up naturally in conversation. it works more than you realise, you will get information that they wont tell the public. i've got a few free things that way and some useful info... good luck, and remember to smile! you gotta spend time to earn time (or something like that)

maybe a little social engineering is in order... to get the information that you need. ask them how they are, then ask them an opinon question that has no relevance to you but could be a hotly discussed topic in their industry and sound interested by their opinion, then if you have time chat about the world and life in general without sounding like a complete idiot... and finally... pop the question as if it came up naturally in conversation. it works more than you realise, you will get information that they wont tell the public. i've got a few free things that way and some useful info... good luck, and remember to smile! you gotta spend time to earn time (or something like that)

Actually very good advice.

The one time I did get a solid number of how many Wiis were coming in on a Sunday morning (a few months back and I did not wake up and was not sure if I wanted it) all I had to do was ask the guy on the phone how he was doing before anything else. I then replied something like "I hear you it has been a long day" and then he told me the exact number of Wii's coming in. Something I never had anyone else do.

I study NLP - social engineering only works when people have the information. I think with these fools it's more a case of the workers are as in the dark as the customers.

Yakkob: I hate Sony (not the PS3, but Sony's PR agency) and so will never defend the PS3 - at least they have supplied the demand. Ok, demand is almost null but hey...

Anyhow, my GF is in London today, so I gave her my gift cards, and armed with a list of Game stores, she can go hunt me a wii.

DirtyLarry - what's the input method like?

Not so great, it is a keyboard you control with the Wii Remote. You can also switch it to a cell phone interface. It does auto fill out words like a cell, but it still took me like 3-5 minutes to log in then make that simple post.

Anyone in Leicester - heads up. Both Game stores are getting 12 at 10am tomorrow. I have one on order, with a copy of Rayman for ?215.

Nice to see people really are getting Wii's lol. Everytime I look they are soldout. Hell they are still being sold at a profit because of the difficulty grabbing one.

Personally I managed to snag one, only after paying a $30 premium. But that was cheap compared to the premiums they were going for with other sellers (i'm talking $200 premium in some cases!), but luckily I found a nice guy. This was at launch mind you, not now lol.

Anyone have any idea of post-Easter availability? It seems like most larger stores are still stockpiling and then selling what they have on Sundays (my guess, so they can advertise it in their weekend circular). With all the stores closed this Sunday, any chance we may see some availability come next Sunday?

Update:

I got my Wii on Saturday morning - helpful man at Game held one for me. His advice was this:

They come in and sell out within a few hours. They often don't know they are getting any till a day in advance. However, by May, Nintendo will be able to satisfy the demand.

Mr.Pingu - Happy birthday :) My arm ached for a while, but after about 5 days I am now used to it. I make a point to do some Wii Sports training and that little test thing a day - love how it keeps a log!

I see that you're sorta local (I work in Cambs) - :)

Found this out in another thread, but thought I'd let you all in on it. Turns out K-Mart will have Wiis in stock when they open on Sunday morning (4/15).

Check your local circular, and if it's in there, you're good to go. If it's in the circular, then (by law, I believe), they are required to have at least some in stock when the store opens. How many is a different matter, but hey, take what you can get.

According to a certain other forum that likes to talk about DVDs, both Circuit City and Best Buy will have Wiis for sale this Sunday, Apr. 22nd.

Circuit City will be handing out vouchers one hour before store opening, and Best Buy is guaranteeing a minimum of 12 consoles per store.

Do a google search for "Best Buy Apr 22" or "Circuit City Apr 22" and you should find it.

Yeah. I tried KMart last week, but not every store got them in stock (which just seems wrong to me), and apparently a lot of people faced the same problem.

Both CC and BB seem like solid bets this weekend though, so I should fare better this time around. Also, Target will supposedly have the Wii in their April 29th circular.