[UK] Speed Limit on Dual Carriage Wa

Hi all.

What is the allowed Speed limit allowed on a "National Speed Limit" marked Dual Carriage way ?

My Pass Plus Tutor said it was 70mph, my dad says its 60mph and im confused. I thought it were 60mph. But i dont know.

Ta

post-61366-1175514072_thumb.png

You MUST NOT exceed the maximum speed limits for the road and for your vehicle (see the table below). Street lights usually mean that there is a 30 mph speed limit unless there are signs showing another limit. Law RTRA sects 81,86,89 & sch 6

These are the national speed limits and apply to all roads unless signs show otherwise

* The 30 mph limit applies to all traffic on all roads in England and Wales (only Class C and unclassified roads in Scotland) with street lighting unless signs show otherwise)

+ 60 if articulated or towing a trailer

The speed limit is the absolute maximum and does not mean it is safe to drive at that speed irrespective of conditions. Driving at speeds too fast for the road and traffic conditions can be dangerous. You should always reduce your speed when;

the road layout or condition presents hazards, such as bends

sharing the road with pedestrians and cyclists, particularly children, and motorcyclists

weather conditions make it safer to do so

driving at night as it is harder to see other road users.

OK:

National speed limit is 60mph.

Multi-lane carriageway is 70mph.

UNLESS there are signs stating otherwise.

Your dad is wrong.

Krazied: VERY nice find!

Why wouldnt you belive the pass plus tutor? Its his job to know it! Sometimes, parents can be wrong.

Although, this explains why everyone does 60 on them!

I dont think we should have national speed limit signs, but rather just the speed in figures. Sure would sort some peoples idea of "national speed limit" out.

"Your dad is wrong."

So was i. I guess 90 is far to quick too lol.

:laugh:

First off, wrong place

a national speed limit zone is 60 MPH!

a motorway is 70 MPH

Well... you say "70" i have been 100 down M6 before :p

most people in "fast" lanes travel ~80 - 90

also most the time at rush hour people travel at about 2 mph

You wouldn't believe how many people got this question wrong. It really should be made available more.

60 for single

70 for dual carriageway

If you are a caravan/towing a trailer the speed is reduced.

The image kraized posted pretty much explains it the easiest way. Print it out and show it to your dad, would love it if everyone did 70 if possible on a dual carriageway. My little engine hates having to slow down to 60 and then struggle back up to 70 when an opening becomes available for me to overtake.

Krazied: VERY nice find!

You do know that's just the highway code booklet? :p Nice fine....almost everywhere in britain, for free :p

Just thought I'd be nosey. It does make very interesting reading btw.

How can anyone think it is 60 :s

its not...

there is this dual carriage way near me though! And everyoen does about 40 down it its damn annoying when the limit is 70!

It's quite worrying the amount of people that believe it's 60 mph, I've had this discussion quite a bit.

As mentioned it's 70mph more worrying is some of the single lane roads marked with national speed limit signs like small winding country roads. Quite how they can be 60 mph is staggering to me. I know it comes down to common sense and driving to conditions etc, but it's still there to cause accidents.

It's quite worrying the amount of people that believe it's 60 mph, I've had this discussion quite a bit.

As mentioned it's 70mph more worrying is some of the single lane roads marked with national speed limit signs like small winding country roads. Quite how they can be 60 mph is staggering to me. I know it comes down to common sense and driving to conditions etc, but it's still there to cause accidents.

Near where I live are two roads that run in parallel. One is a fairly new (<10years) dual carriage way, in excellent condition, good barriers etc. The other is an ancient single carriageway, pock-marked surface, bumpy. One is 40mph, the other is national limit. Guess which way round the speed limits are. Guess again. ;)

Anyway, yes, more people should learn what the national speed limit signs mean for them and their cars. Very annoying to be stuck behind someone doing 40 in a 60 zone and no easy/safe way to overtake.

Depends on the road I guess! All the dual carriageway near me (despite being two lanes per side and seperated with armco) is 60MPH limit! Damnit!