Microsoft nixes 'Big Bang' service pack for Windows Vista

itnews.com.au

A senior Microsoft official said the company doesn't plan to issue a major service pack for Windows Vista because the operating system is "high quality right out of the gate." Another reason is that new tools such as Windows Update allow Microsoft to dribble out smaller fixes to its new OS whenever necessary.

"Will we continue to have service packs? Yes we will," said Michael Sievert, corporate VP for Windows marketing at Microsoft. "But they have a different level of importance today as people get their updates in real-time using Windows Update," said Sievert, according to a transcript of a conference call he held Monday with financial analysts.

As a result, Sievert said Microsoft won't release a "big bang" service pack for Windows Vista similar in size and scope to Windows XP Service Pack 1, which was issued in 2002 with mixed results. That 30-Mbyte download was designed to patch major security holes, improve Windows XP's overall performance, and help Microsoft comply with U.S. Department of Justice mandates.

Sievert said new development tools and processes that Microsoft employed during the creation of Windows Vista also lessen the need for a major service pack. Among other things, the company used automated reporting technology that allowed it to collect bug reports from beta testers in real time, "and then code against those as we were developing the operating system," Sievert said.

Corporate IT managers and home users alike may welcome the fact that Microsoft doesn't plan to drop a major, monolithic update to Windows Vista, the consumer version of which launched in January. After the release of Windows XP SP1, thousands of Microsoft customers reported that the revisions caused their computers to run slowly or crash altogether.

Sievert didn't say when the planned service pack-lite for Windows Vista would be released. "We haven't established a time line," he said.

Looks like the much promised magic fix for Vista - that was going to be SP1 is going to disappoint.

I prefer a big Service Pack that can be slipstreamed into an operating system and then recompiled as a new build. I'm not a fan of Microsoft dribbling out a thousand small fixes. I don't know that I like Microsoft's new vision for fixing their bugs.

itnews.com.au

Looks like the much promised magic fix for Vista - that was going to be SP1 is going to disappoint.

I prefer a big Service Pack that can be slipstreamed into an operating system and then recompiled as a new build. I'm not a fan of Microsoft dribbling out a thousand small fixes. I don't know that I like Microsoft's new vision for fixing their bugs.

for a long time now or atleast since windows vista Pre-beta 2 microsoft stated a Service pack plan for vista wouldant be that big as what we saw with XP or anything close but rather possible at the time possible only updates to the kernel and some bug fixes. so sorry if you was one of those people who thought windows vista SP1 was gonna be end of to end all service packs but hey we cant have it all now can we. i am running vista now and have not a single issue

for a long time now or atleast since windows vista Pre-beta 2 microsoft stated a Service pack plan for vista wouldant be that big as what we saw with XP or anything close but rather possible at the time possible only updates to the kernel and some bug fixes. so sorry if you was one of those people who thought windows vista SP1 was gonna be end of to end all service packs but hey we cant have it all now can we. i am running vista now and have not a single issue

Sure I understand. In my case it's not strictly Vista I'm having issues with. It's third party software and drivers that are letting Vista down. Still, wasn't Microsoft meant to include an updated kernel in SP1? That screams "Major Update" to me. Or has that now been scrapped too.

Relying solely on WU for patches is annoying when they will start to amount to over 50 or so, for new OS installs...

I'm sure there are tools and methods, perhaps even official ones, to manually merge these with the new Vista image format, but it would be much easier for administrators if they still released service packs now and then, and even home users to save them on a DVD without having to re-build own slipstreamed copies. I'm a bit annoyed from Microsoft's stance on this lately, with still no SP3 for XP, when the WU patches alone should warrant one.

Sure I understand. In my case it's not strictly Vista I'm having issues with. It's third party software and drivers that are letting Vista down. Still, wasn't Microsoft meant to include an updated kernel in SP1? That screams "Major Update" to me. Or has that now been scrapped too.

It of course depends a whole lot on what the kernel update would do, and it definitely shouldn't scream major update. It may just be minor bug fixes that could end up being hard to implement in another way than a kernel update.

Apple does major fix packages. Why does Microsoft feel like suddenly a well established way of updating is now not the way to go?

The "high quality right out of the gate." is the worst excuse ever. Almost feels like Microsoft is putting all its talent towards working on Windows Seven while Vista is a bit of a ****** child. Once again. Just IMHO.

Still, wasn't Microsoft meant to include an updated kernel in SP1? That screams "Major Update" to me. Or has that now been scrapped too.

My thoughts, they said before that Windows Vista kernel will be update to 6.1 like Windows server 2007

They are not going to stop producing service packs that can be slipstreamed into new discs.... vista's way of slipstreaming is much easier so of course it will continue to be used and fixes released for its use. :)

This doesn't mean that they're not going to include large features in the service packs... just that less of the fixes will be packed together to form one.

and you cant Blame microsoft for 3rd party software.drivers as they will need to update those and it is not microsoft responsibility to provide updates to fix issues in 3rd party software. sure they will Host the new drivers on their servers for windows update but they don't have anyway to fix any issues with those parties software or drivers it isant their software/drivers .

why do people want huge servic epacks. ID rather have new features put out slowly through out the year.

Because no one like to DL a gazillion updates after a fresh install. Dribble them out all you want but pack them up for slipstreaming once in awhile, please.

Because no one like to DL a gazillion updates after a fresh install. Dribble them out all you want but pack them up for slipstreaming once in awhile, please.

Yeah. Actually it would be good if Microsoft offered Quarterly Update Pack that would include all the fixes from the previous three months all tied together in one neat download.

I still don't quite understand how slipstreaming updates and possible future Service Packs is done in Vista. Meant to be easy, but I just don't get it.

Yeah. Actually it would be good if Microsoft offered Quarterly Update Pack that would include all the fixes from the previous three months all tied together in one neat download.

I still don't quite understand how slipstreaming updates and possible future Service Packs is done in Vista. Meant to be easy, but I just don't get it.

all update downloads in vista are done in the background also now update is integrated in to windows Explorer so no ore opening IE or to download . well let me Quote the windows vista site.

In Windows Vista, the capabilities of Windows Update make updating even easier and less disruptive.

Easier. In Windows Vista, Windows Update can automatically download and install both Important and Recommended updates. Previously, only updates classified as High Priority could be installed automatically, and you had to manually select and download other available updates.

Less disruptive. Updating occurs in the background, and flexible options are provided for completing the updating process. If an update requires a restart to complete installation, you can schedule this for a specific time when it won't disrupt your work. You can also postpone a previously scheduled restart until your current work is complete. And when a software update applies to a file in use, Windows Vista can save the application's data, close the application, update the file, and then restart the application.

all update downloads in vista are done in the background also now update is integrated in to windows Explorer so no ore opening IE or to download . well let me Quote the windows vista site.

In Windows Vista, the capabilities of Windows Update make updating even easier and less disruptive.

Easier. In Windows Vista, Windows Update can automatically download and install both Important and Recommended updates. Previously, only updates classified as High Priority could be installed automatically, and you had to manually select and download other available updates.

Less disruptive. Updating occurs in the background, and flexible options are provided for completing the updating process. If an update requires a restart to complete installation, you can schedule this for a specific time when it won't disrupt your work. You can also postpone a previously scheduled restart until your current work is complete. And when a software update applies to a file in use, Windows Vista can save the application's data, close the application, update the file, and then restart the application.

I think you missed the point of the previous poster. They were wondering how to slipstream updates into the Vista install disc.

Almost feels like Microsoft is putting all its talent towards working on Windows Seven while Vista is a bit of a ****** child. Once again. Just IMHO.

Hmmm, sounds to me that Microsoft has given birth to a Hollywood OS. With the lack of driver support and the amount of BSOD that I've read about around the web that pop up from time to time I would say it's the year 2000 again...ME all over again?

Really, as long as

"Windows Vista - Recommended Update - KB8675309"

"This update fixes many of the glaringly stupid bugs in Windows Explorer, and makes it look less like a chicken in a monkey suit when using the classic visual style. You may have to restart your computer after you apply this update"

rolls on down the pipe sometime soon, I'll be A-OK. :) But, oh - that quarterly update pack is an *excellent* idea!

Umm... the odd this is why use SP1 as an example? SP2 was MUCH more important than SP1 looking at it retrospectively. In any case, I was hoping for some features put back into Vista that didn't make the RTM cut, but I guess there's not much one can do. Still lots of problems that annoy me; hopefully they will get fixed.

I really hate it when stupid Mac fanatics come to Windows forums and post **** about it. I have a Mac, and people who do that really make me wonder is they have lives or not.

IE8.0, WMP12, DX10.1 are some Vienna features, and we wont see Vista version before Vienna is released.

IE8.0, WMP12, DX10.1 are some Vienna features, and we wont see Vista version before Vienna is released.

I really hate it when stupid Mac fanatics come to Windows forums and post **** about it. I have a Mac, and people who do that really make me wonder is they have lives or not.

I'm not a Mac Fanatic, heck I don't even own a Mac or have used one within the last three months. All I'm saying is that I don't agree with Microsoft dumbing down Service Packs.

I thought it's all Windows "Seven" now not Vienna?!

I don't see why everyone sees the need to bash Vista. It is working flawlessly for me, and then there are all these people calling is Windows ME and the year 2000 all over again... do you guys even try the OS, and is there any legitimate problem with it that isn't caused by a 3rd party developer? At least provide some proof, such as "Windows Media Player crashes when I open Calculator" rather than simply posting a little hate blurb. That only wastes time and adds nothing to the conversation.

I don't see why everyone sees the need to bash Vista. It is working flawlessly for me, and then there are all these people calling is Windows ME and the year 2000 all over again... do you guys even try the OS, and is there any legitimate problem with it that isn't caused by a 3rd party developer? At least provide some proof, such as "Windows Media Player crashes when I open Calculator" rather than simply posting a little hate blurb. That only wastes time and adds nothing to the conversation.

To me and lots of others, Vista is pure crap. Sure, it has a couple of nice things in it but not nice enough to make me want to install it again. I can say though that I had less problems with Windows Me than I had with Vista. A fresh install of Vista with nothing but inbox drivers and I couldn't even use it for more than 30 minutes before it started giving BSODs. I highly doubt SP1 will fix much. I always upgrade to each version of Windows as they're released and never have I had more problems than from Vista. Lucky for me I got Vista for free. It's not something I would have paid to use. Hopefully the next version of Windows will be better.

Why are people comparing Vista with Windows ME? Few reasons:

1.Retail and upgrade sales of Vista are appaling(~50% less sales this way than Windows XP with several times more computer users than in 2001...do the math), like those of Windows ME,

2. Some Seriously bad reviews of Vista, like Windows ME(remember how MS tried to defend ME like it's defending Vista),

3. Vista is dreadfully buggy and unstable OS(for whatever reason), like Windows ME was,

4. Vista is slow compared to XP, like ME was compared to 98SE(Vista is actually much slower on same hardware than ME was compared to 98SE)....

that should help You figure out the rest like Vista upgrade costs, reduced productivity with Vista with serious apps.....

Hearing that SP1 will be nothing more than Hotfix Rollup only adds to this notion of it resembling ME.

Why are people comparing Vista with Windows ME? Few reasons:

1.Retail and upgrade sales of Vista are appaling(~50% less sales this way than Windows XP with several times more computer users than in 2001...do the math), like those of Windows ME,

2. Some Seriously bad reviews of Vista, like Windows ME(remember how MS tried to defend ME like it's defending Vista),

3. Vista is dreadfully buggy and unstable OS(for whatever reason), like Windows ME was,

4. Vista is slow compared to XP, like ME was compared to 98SE(Vista is actually much slower on same hardware than ME was compared to 98SE)....

that should help You figure out the rest like Vista upgrade costs, reduced productivity with Vista with serious apps.....

Hearing that SP1 will be nothing more than Hotfix Rollup only adds to this notion of it resembling ME.

so how many hours of usage have you had with windows vista Premium and up version. also what hardware you have