Microsoft nixes 'Big Bang' service pack for Windows Vista

2 weeks with Ultimate retail(MSDN) and before that beta2 and rc2 for few weeks. e6300, 1gb RAM, 7300GT, 320gb Sata2 seagate 7200.10. I work from 8-14 hours a day on a computer. I had slew of problems with Vista itself, drivers were all fine and installed with the OS...constant hd trashing with and without superfetch and indexing disabled, BSODs with Media Center, explorer crashes, slow copying,...system felt like i pulled out half the RAM I have and turned off 1 core....enough?

To me and lots of others, Vista is pure crap. Sure, it has a couple of nice things in it but not nice enough to make me want to install it again. I can say though that I had less problems with Windows Me than I had with Vista. A fresh install of Vista with nothing but inbox drivers and I couldn't even use it for more than 30 minutes before it started giving BSODs. I highly doubt SP1 will fix much. I always upgrade to each version of Windows as they're released and never have I had more problems than from Vista. Lucky for me I got Vista for free. It's not something I would have paid to use. Hopefully the next version of Windows will be better.

Yes. Vista can be very disappointing at times. I had the same problem with my OOBE. Nothing by Vista drivers and the system just wasn't stable. Later the problem was tracked down to dodgy drivers for the nvidia graphics card but still, not a great experience there. Which is why I was dismayed to read that Microsoft thinks that Vista is such a high quality product that it doesn't need a "Big" Service Pack. Just look at the App / Game compatibility fixes, there's proof right there that Vista is very much still product that needs work.

Actually the biggest disappointment of Vista itself is Readyboost. Seriously now. It does nothing! On my PC with 2GB RAM I had Applications running badly due to lack of RAM so I slot in a 4GB Readyboost certified flash drive and allocate the recommended amount of space on it for Readyboost; re-run my applications and I fail to see better performance / more memory or smoother operation. What does Readyboost really do? I just can't see it doing anything.

Edited by _0_0_

2 weeks with Ultimate retail(MSDN) and before that beta2 and rc2 for few weeks. e6300, 1gb RAM, 7300GT, 320gb Sata2 seagate 7200.10. I work from 8-14 hours a day on a computer. I had slew of problems with Vista itself, drivers were all fine and installed with the OS...constant hd trashing with and without superfetch and indexing disabled, BSODs with Media Center, explorer crashes, slow copying,...system felt like i pulled out half the RAM I have and turned off 1 core....enough?

i dont know what to say but i it is remarkable your havening that many issues with vista. i am running vista ultimate 32bit OEM on my 1.8ghz athlon XP system 1.5gb of ram and an FX 5600 graphics and well everything and i mean everything runs smooth as can be no lag no error no problems things are just fast and alot faster then XP. the only thing i can think of is that Bsing us all but dont know man.

Work with it everyday as I help the individuals who have problems with the OS. I'm a system tech, in software support no less. I've been working with Vista since back in August, during Betas, Release Candidates, RTM and to the full release. I've poked around at it, infected it on purpose, brought it back to life. Disabled and enabled services etc...Tried beta drivers, tried various software on it from Adobe CS2, torrents, virus and spyware software, media burning apps, numerous games etc...

It's been slow, indexing sucks the big one on large drives. UAC disabled, enabled. Keeping UAC off to the average user is an invitation to getting in trouble. Sidebar is a gimmick. Flip 3D does not increase productivity and is more eye candy than anything. I guess the only decent thing are the wallpapers that ship with it. Speaking with the MSDN boys online to no success on matters such as adjusting system restore size, disabling indexing or volume shadow services. Kudos to the pro photographer that got selected for this round of Windows.

As far as I've seen, the wow has resulted in many of my clients spending outrageous amounts of money to be disappointed in the fact that nothing seems to work on it and they have that feeling of being ripped off. My sympathy is to those who shell out the big bucks and are excited to learn about this great innovation and fusion of software and security only to come to learn the hard way that it restricts them, limits their choice, forces them into spending more money for new hardware and what ****es me off the most is the fact that they get the new systems with Vista, no other choice but that, when they purchase from the big boy manufacturers that dominate the market.

It bugs me to read that the NSA and the DOD 'helped' Microsoft in securing the operating system to their specs. Google it. It bothers me to hear that Gates does so much for the free world and for education etc...and then him and the boys allow for a piece of software such as Vista to run wild.

If I say it sucks it's because I've had enough of it. It's because it saddens me to tell some kid in the middle of nowhere that they can't do what they want on the system until further down the road. I shake my head at it because ma n pa business folk are losing money and spending more money while enjoying nothing more than downtime and not making a buck due to some strange software compatibility issue that no one has heard of nor is there a fix for it.

Opinion or not, sorry to rant but that's how I feel about it. Vista gets the thumbs down and a dirty sanchez while I'm at it.

slow copying,...system felt like i pulled out half the RAM I have and turned off 1 core....enough?

I had to copy 50 megs worth of files to a spare drive and Vista popped up a box saying that I was low on memory and couldn't continue the copy process. I have 4 gigs of ram in my system. That was the last time I used Vista.

I had to copy 50 megs worth of files to a spare drive and Vista popped up a box saying that I was low on memory and couldn't continue the copy process. I have 4 gigs of ram in my system. That was the last time I used Vista.

well i copies 7 gigs of data from another drive and never got that message

To me and lots of others, Vista is pure crap. Sure, it has a couple of nice things in it but not nice enough to make me want to install it again. I can say though that I had less problems with Windows Me than I had with Vista. A fresh install of Vista with nothing but inbox drivers and I couldn't even use it for more than 30 minutes before it started giving BSODs. I highly doubt SP1 will fix much. I always upgrade to each version of Windows as they're released and never have I had more problems than from Vista. Lucky for me I got Vista for free. It's not something I would have paid to use. Hopefully the next version of Windows will be better.

True, there are a lot of dumbed down features, but it is BETTER than XP. There are new next generation features implimented in it, and whether you like it or not it is still the most advanced consumer OS on the market at the moment. I can say that I have never had one BSOD and all my drivers were recognized without hassle. It is faster and more efficient than working in XP, and I appreciate the improvements to the features. I can't see any reason to go back to the inferiority of XP after experiencing the new simplicities of Vista. I mean, even if it's not perfect or as grand as it was supposed to be, at least what has changed has improved the way I work on my computer.

Odd - My single core AMD Athlon64 4000+ (Sledgehammer) on a DFI LanParty UT nF4 SLI-D with 1GB RAM and a 6800 GT-I with an 80GB WD PATA HD runs Vista Ultimate perfectly AND smoothly with 0 crashes since RTM - and faster than XP X64 in many cases - and i'm running the 32-bit version of Vista! This machine is my bread-and-butter for Digital Audio production and Audio Streaming, and Vista has been running without a single crash.

Either something is horrifically wrong with your hardware or the installation was screwed-up.

--ScottKin

all update downloads in vista are done in the background also now update is integrated in to windows Explorer so no ore opening IE or to download . well let me Quote the windows vista site.

In Windows Vista, the capabilities of Windows Update make updating even easier and less disruptive.

Easier. In Windows Vista, Windows Update can automatically download and install both Important and Recommended updates. Previously, only updates classified as High Priority could be installed automatically, and you had to manually select and download other available updates.

Less disruptive. Updating occurs in the background, and flexible options are provided for completing the updating process. If an update requires a restart to complete installation, you can schedule this for a specific time when it won't disrupt your work. You can also postpone a previously scheduled restart until your current work is complete. And when a software update applies to a file in use, Windows Vista can save the application's data, close the application, update the file, and then restart the application.

As a side note, Vista Windows Update is currently in Beta Testing and could be released in the near future.

Odd - My single core AMD Athlon64 4000+ (Sledgehammer) on a DFI LanParty UT nF4 SLI-D with 1GB RAM and a 6800 GT-I with an 80GB WD PATA HD runs Vista Ultimate perfectly AND smoothly with 0 crashes since RTM - and faster than XP X64 in many cases - and i'm running the 32-bit version of Vista! This machine is my bread-and-butter for Digital Audio production and Audio Streaming, and Vista has been running without a single crash.

Either something is horrifically wrong with your hardware or the installation was screwed-up.

--ScottKin

or other people have a problem which lies outside your blinkered view of the world? "Either something is horrifically wrong with your hardware or the installation was screwed-up." ....rrrrrright. so everyone else's machine is screwed OR they screwed up the installation?... no scope for problems related to different chipsets, video cards, sound cards, raid controller, controller bios versions, memory, processors? It works for you so everyone else must be wrong.

wow. i want to be you, your world is simple, given that there's only you in it!

Quick, everyone move back to Windows XP!

Vista is obviosuly going to suck for a long time. Iv had Vista Ultimate and Im back to running XP x64 SP2 and im not moving back to Vista anytime soon.

They should release a SP every 3 months in my opinion. This is where Mac has got it right!

CHECK OUT

http://news.softpedia.com/news/Windows-Vis...led-50515.shtml

Been using Vista since December now (corporate user) and have tried it on the following machines / specs:

* Mac Mini 1.66GHz Core Duo

* AMD Athlon XP 2600+ / NForce2 Board

* Toshiba Tecra M5 Laptop (Core Duo)

* Intel Core 2 Duo 2.4GHz / Intel DQ965GF Board

The mac was the first machine I stuck it on. Actually went on without any problems though had to use the XP bootcamp drivers. No drama's to speak of.

The Athlon was the next one. A bit of a nightmare. This is my home PC and I had endless problems getting audio to work, often resulting in random resets, etc whenever trying to play sound. Gave up and went back to XP.

The M5 was next. Was fine apart from not being able to get the damn thing back out of standby but a BIOS update resolved that and now its mostly fine.. only a weird thing with the Nvidia card onboard but its not a show stopper.

Lastly the Core 2 Duo - my new work PC. Vista hung in the install and would go no further. I rebooted it, then it would just sit on the boot / progress bar and goes nowhere else. I gave up and put XP on for now. Since downloaded a BIOS update which might fix that but..

To sum up? I had problems running Vista on 3 out of 4 machines. I was quite into Vista but am now rapidly falling out of love with it.. I think the thing that bites for me is the huge resource usage and despite some discussions many months ago with "technical people" on here, I have yet to see Vista release "cached memory" to applications that require that additional memory. Photoshop ran like total and utter crap on the Mac Mini, when it used to run like a charm under XP.

I do like the UI though so thats why I keep trying it. Its nice to have a bit of spit and polish on a Windows OS!

or other people have a problem which lies outside your blinkered view of the world? "Either something is horrifically wrong with your hardware or the installation was screwed-up." ....rrrrrright. so everyone else's machine is screwed OR they screwed up the installation?... no scope for problems related to different chipsets, video cards, sound cards, raid controller, controller bios versions, memory, processors? It works for you so everyone else must be wrong.

Well Fact is I hear of far more successfull Vista installations and increased speed of computers and whatnot when people install vista than I hear disaster stories. In fact stories of disaster and bad install where vista is slower and such is relatively far and few between. and I don't really trust the majority of people who claim to be techs and have installed hundreds of computers that they are what they are, and if they have installed hundreds of computer where vista is slower and basically works bad, well then he's a really bad tech, honestly.

If there where such huge problems with Vista, there would be hundreds of threads each day witht he amount of Vista installs out there. but when stuff works people dont' make thread goign woohoo it works, only the people with problems does that, and almost all the ones who have problems do, wich indicates that vista has very few problems actually. The only known huge bug in Vista is the copy issue wich happens on only a few configurations, outside of that vista is currently the fastest and least buggy MS OS out there.

So the converse argument is: "It doesn't work for me so it must be the worst system out and it must not work for anybody else."

This whole debate over Vista seems to me (an outsider) like the perennial political debate the Yanks have over Democrats vs. Republicans!

Let us just get on with working out each other's problems instead of turning EVERYTHING into a type of evangelism for or against Vista.

Vista is here. It is staying and many people are using it.

Those who don't, fine, get on with your life!

Those who are, fine, get on with helping each other tweak it and iron out the kinks.

Quick, everyone move back to Windows XP!

Vista is obviosuly going to suck for a long time. Iv had Vista Ultimate and Im back to running XP x64 SP2 and im not moving back to Vista anytime soon.

They should release a SP every 3 months in my opinion. This is where Mac has got it right!

CHECK OUT

http://news.softpedia.com/news/Windows-Vis...led-50515.shtml

Makes me wish I had Windows XP x64 SP2, but I don't. Still if Microsoft really does cancel SP1 for Vista I will see that as a sign of Microsoft pretty much abandoning its product. I think I may just invest in Windows XP x64. Checked out the driver support and everything I own has XP x64 drivers. (Y)

yeah trust me, XP x64 (with SP2) is the most solid, reliable and fastest OS from Microsoft.

Now when i play Battlefield 2142, the graphics are actually silky smooth compared to Vista!

had to copy 50 megs worth of files to a spare drive and Vista popped up a box saying that I was low on memory and couldn't continue the copy process. I have 4 gigs of ram in my system. That was the last time I used Vista.
well i copies 7 gigs of data from another drive and never got that message

I got that message alot but it seemed to go away after increasing the pagefile size. Pretty stupid problem to have though. Never got anything like that on XP. Kaspersky AV also caused that issue and they released an updated KAV for it.

yeah trust me, XP x64 (with SP2) is the most solid, reliable and fastest OS from Microsoft.

Now when i play Battlefield 2142, the graphics are actually silky smooth compared to Vista!

Yes, XP-64 is good but it is not perfect.

I moved from XP-64 to Vista and am glad that I did.

Not only does XP-64 still (after all this time since its release) have buggy drivers and no drivers, but you get problems like this http://www.start64.com/forum/index.php?top...8.msg349#msg349

No OS is perfect, you go with the one you are most comfortable with.

Iv never had the problem with the CD staying in the memory with XP x64.

Also, why dont you NOT install buggy drivers. I seriously cant beleive how well XP x64 actually runs. It is based on the Win2003 code not XP.. its version 5.2 (not 5.1)

Edited by simmorya

Wow that sucks major ass. Even more so for the people not installing it to the service pack comes out. Now for me it's either wait for the service pack to install or wait to have money to go from one gig to two. Really not suprised though.

No one said SP1 was cancled or that it's going to be dumbed down. MS will bring Vistas kernel and other parts up to date with those in Longhorn Server when it's released, with SP1 for vista. The thing is, the way the codebase is at this point, SP's won't make drastic changes to systems like SP2 did for XP, which for many people was the wrost thing ever, yet now all the Vista haters seem to like to tell people to go back to XP SP2, kinda ironic isn't it?

Lots of things can mess with your system and make Vista (or any OS), seem ****ty for you. It can be a simple driver, or a program which changed something when you installed it that messes up other things. If the first time you run into a problem all you do is bitch, give up, and runb ack to your old system, then that doesn't help things at all. Forget about WinME, lets go to Win2k, when it first came out drivers where few and buggy, everything was Win9x coded. Gaming in win2k, ha, everyone said to dual boot and keep Win98 for gaming because Win2k sucked. Now lets move a WinXP, it's released, drivers are few, people bash it and say it's just eye candy and slow, buggy and everyone should stick with Win2k! Then after SP1 for XP things start to become better, everyone starts to use it more, until SP2 hits, and ON NO! Compatibility is broken for a few things, people scream and yell, SP2 sucks, I'ms taying with SP1!! Finally we have Vista, drivers are few and everything is coded for XP, people bash it and say it's just eye candy and slow, buggy and everyone should stick with WinXP SP2 (which, remember before they said SP2 sucked also.).

Do you all see the cycle here? History repeating itself, or has everyones memory from 1999 gone blank. The same level pf bitching you people do about Vista is the same that was done for Win2k and WinXP when they first came out. Now you seem to have forgoten about the bitching you did for those, are actually using them now, and to top it off, call them great and or the best OS MS has made. I'm sorry to say, but the majority of people who come on these forums and bitch are being idiotic and a bit hypocritical. And also seem to suffer from memory loss.

For all the gamers out there, your seriously better off sticking with Windows XP for now. Atleast until nVidia or ATI release decent drivers.

updates for Windows Vista are automatically installed via Windows Update, so there're no valid reasons to wait for an urgent SP1.

If you can't use Windows Update because you have a pirated copy then buy Windows Vista once and live in peace for years!

Edited by franzon

No one said SP1 was cancled or that it's going to be dumbed down. MS will bring Vistas kernel and other parts up to date with those in Longhorn Server when it's released, with SP1 for vista. The thing is, the way the codebase is at this point, SP's won't make drastic changes to systems like SP2 did for XP, which for many people was the wrost thing ever, yet now all the Vista haters seem to like to tell people to go back to XP SP2, kinda ironic isn't it?

Lots of things can mess with your system and make Vista (or any OS), seem ****ty for you. It can be a simple driver, or a program which changed something when you installed it that messes up other things. If the first time you run into a problem all you do is bitch, give up, and runb ack to your old system, then that doesn't help things at all. Forget about WinME, lets go to Win2k, when it first came out drivers where few and buggy, everything was Win9x coded. Gaming in win2k, ha, everyone said to dual boot and keep Win98 for gaming because Win2k sucked. Now lets move a WinXP, it's released, drivers are few, people bash it and say it's just eye candy and slow, buggy and everyone should stick with Win2k! Then after SP1 for XP things start to become better, everyone starts to use it more, until SP2 hits, and ON NO! Compatibility is broken for a few things, people scream and yell, SP2 sucks, I'ms taying with SP1!! Finally we have Vista, drivers are few and everything is coded for XP, people bash it and say it's just eye candy and slow, buggy and everyone should stick with WinXP SP2 (which, remember before they said SP2 sucked also.).

Do you all see the cycle here? History repeating itself, or has everyones memory from 1999 gone blank. The same level pf bitching you people do about Vista is the same that was done for Win2k and WinXP when they first came out. Now you seem to have forgoten about the bitching you did for those, are actually using them now, and to top it off, call them great and or the best OS MS has made. I'm sorry to say, but the majority of people who come on these forums and bitch are being idiotic and a bit hypocritical. And also seem to suffer from memory loss.

o/\o

Probably the best post on this thread by far. Hits the nail on the head perfectly.

For all the gamers out there, your seriously better off sticking with Windows XP for now. Atleast until nVidia or ATI release decent drivers.

Not sure about Nvidia, but ATI has decent drivers out. Some have complained of BSOD's with Catalyst 7.3 but on my dual x1600 in Crossfire mode, I've yet to see 1 problem.

/your mileage may vary