HD Conversion DVD Players

Does anyone know how these things are? Also can anyone suggest a cheap but good HD conversion DVD player that also plays xVid and divX?

it's called an upconverting dvd player...I have a Sony one that works well, but doesn't play other formats.

It's called a lot of things, I've seen upconverting, conversion, hd scaling, but they all do the same thing. Does it increase quality by a lot?

The quality increase is considerable, though on live action movies you'll still be able to tell it's not true HD. For DIVX support, you'd want to look at either Philips or LG.

is it the HQV chip you want in a dvd player? it just came out not too long ago? i remember reading about the Oppo model that has the chip and apparently it's spectacular. but also very expensive.

is it the HQV chip you want in a dvd player? it just came out not too long ago? i remember reading about the Oppo model that has the chip and apparently it's spectacular. but also very expensive.

Actually, upconverting DVD players only *start* with the Oppo players (which were among the first, and are still largely the best-known); however, the technology has become commonplace among midrange DVD players (only the least-expensive DVD players and DVD/VCR combidecks lack upconversion capability); both Sony and Toshiba actually have sub-$100USD upconverting DVD players available in North America. Upconverting DVD players also typically support HDMI, Dolby Digital, and DTS. (NOTE: All HD DVD and BD standalone players available in North America double as upconverting DVD players; I do not know if this is also true of the PS3.) As has been pointed out elsewhere, the Philips and LG upconverting players also support the DivX codec; while the Toshiba upconverting players (as do their HD DVD players) include HDMI cables.

The quality increase is considerable, though on live action movies you'll still be able to tell it's not true HD. For DIVX support, you'd want to look at either Philips or LG.

huh? I didn't think they were that great, considering all LCD's already have upscalers built into them else your average DVD would appear as a postage sized stamp in the middle of your screen.

The only time an upscaling DVD player would do a better job is if the scaler built into it is better than the scaler in your TV. A lot of the picture quality increase people seem to get with upscaling DVD players isn't related to the upscaling at all, rather that the newer players come with more high quality connections like component or HDMI rather than Scart or composite.

I always thought of upscaling DVD players as a bit of a gimmick rather than a must have for HDTV's

huh? I didn't think they were that great, considering all LCD's already have upscalers built into them else your average DVD would appear as a postage sized stamp in the middle of your screen.

The only time an upscaling DVD player would do a better job is if the scaler built into it is better than the scaler in your TV. A lot of the picture quality increase people seem to get with upscaling DVD players isn't related to the upscaling at all, rather that the newer players come with more high quality connections like component or HDMI rather than Scart or composite.

I always thought of upscaling DVD players as a bit of a gimmick rather than a must have for HDTV's

If you say so. :rolleyes:

Well, the gimmick does work. I had a very good Panasonic DVD player connected to my Sony HDTV using monster component cable. Then I switched to a Sony upscaling DVD player using HDMI connection and it made a nice difference. Picture looks more sharp, detailed.

But it's no where close to what I see using my HD-DVD player with the Xbox360 using component cable. It's Perfect.

i think youre confused about what the upconversion actually does to the picture... it's not just resizing it...

I see a huge difference between a regular DVD player and an upconverting DVD player. Sure, the LCD TV will scale the video to fill the screen, but the upconverting DVD player is using a far better scaling method, the result is a less pixilated image.

I'm really puzzled about the level of defence for them on here, I've seen no end of posts on other boards from people with upscaling DVD players who've set them to 720p/1080i/p whatever and have found little or no difference, instead they set them back to 480/576 and let the TV do the work instead.

Again, the general consensus seems to be that unless you spend a lot of cash on a DVD player with an upscaler(faroudja etc) better than the one already in your TV you won't really notice it at all

i think youre confused about what the upconversion actually does to the picture... it's not just resizing it..

I know that.

I'm not denying that the picture quality on them isn't better but I put this down to that people are replacing older(4/5 year old) units with systems that have a whole range of other new features(Processing/progressive scan etc) to improve the picture quality along with the better quality connections. I don't believe that upscaling DVD players themselves are all they are cracked up to be.

I've got a Denon 1930CI running into a 32" Samsung LCD @ 720p. The picture quality is the best I've ever seen. The Denon supports 1080p.

I have the Samsung HD860 (I think?) unit which plays DivX too... very nice, and the picture has a truly noticable difference over using it at 480.

You must use a good quality HDMI cable to get the most out of it - I have the QED Reference (about ?40 for the 1m cable in the UK).

I'm really puzzled about the level of defence for them on here, I've seen no end of posts on other boards from people with upscaling DVD players who've set them to 720p/1080i/p whatever and have found little or no difference, instead they set them back to 480/576 and let the TV do the work instead.

Again, the general consensus seems to be that unless you spend a lot of cash on a DVD player with an upscaler(faroudja etc) better than the one already in your TV you won't really notice it at all

I'm not denying that the picture quality on them isn't better but I put this down to that people are replacing older(4/5 year old) units with systems that have a whole range of other new features(Processing/progressive scan etc) to improve the picture quality along with the better quality connections. I don't believe that upscaling DVD players themselves are all they are cracked up to be.

You just have to see it for yourself. I unknowingly bought a LG upscaling DVD player before I got my HDTV - I thought I was just getting a regular HTIB with Dixv/Xvid playback. I had never seriously considered getting an upscaling player when looking at getting an HDTV, but I must say that upscaled DVDs look noticeably better than anything in 480p. The image is much smoother. You just don't get all of the details that you would from a native 720p source.

• 2 weeks later...
I've got a Denon 1930CI running into a 32" Samsung LCD @ 720p. The picture quality is the best I've ever seen. The Denon supports 1080p.

The Denon's are nice, BB just got in a H/K dvd player that is also pretty good, atleast the best upconvert that we sell currently (in a non-MHT store).