Mac for Graphic Design, why is it better than Windows?

My fiance is starting some graphic design courses and the second course is explicitly Macintosh-based. I thought "Huh, that is different" but the more I use my MacBook, the more I can see the reasoning: workflow. I don't what it is (hell, it's probably a placebo effect) but I feel like I do many things much more efficienctly on my Mac. Photo editing, creating photo pages, etc. is really easy as the apps I use have a close integration with the OS, which means I can use two seperate apps together. I'm sure this is possible on Windows at some point, I just never found it.

Mostly, I'm glad she'll be taking that course because, as has been said, most of the industry dabbles on Macs. She might as well get to learn it.

If a CEO of a company didn't claim his product to be the best, I would hope that CEO got fired in a second. What do you think Steve Jobs or Bill Gates would say? "There really isn't a benefit to buying our product, it's the same as the other guy."

Huh.

Of course in retrospect I wouldn't expect them to say anything different but then they should live up to this statement and drastically improve the quality of their hardware, especially when they expect people to pay that much money.

You can't spec out a Dell, for example, that even comes close to the Mac Pro's specs for any price near $3,997. Plus, only Apple's Mac runs Mac, Linux, and Windows software - the world's largest software library - natively.

Since when has OS X been able to natively run Windows executables? :s

Since when has OS X been able to natively run Windows executables? :s

You CAN run Windows natively, not under OS X, no one said under OS X but using Boot Camp you can run it natively.

Photoshop is not designed to use Core Image.

As such Photoshop gains no benefit from the GPU...

Thankyou. That completely answered my question.

Maybe because a nicer and cleaner OS makes you more creative and ... clean. That's my philosophy though.

Agreed. There's alot of subtleties to an OS that can, very simply, make you "feel" a certain way. A pleasant, stable, non-intrusive environment in which the interface strives for *simplicity* above all else is the recipe for HIG success, and as a result, *your* success.

I would think that today, with the guts of Apple and Windows machines being pretty much identical that the apps would run pretty much identical and therefore neither has an upper hand. I don't exactly know what Expose does but some folks here seem to think it makes things better, the two graphic designers I know who use Macs have never mentioned that particular feature.

Interesting that your graphic designer friends have never mentioned Expose. But then again they don't sound very knowledgeable. Windows compressing PSDs? It's basically a windows management system that makes it easy to quickly see various open windows and chose one and also gives you quick access to the desktop. Much nicer than minimizing to a taskbar or the Dock. It's great when your working between Photoshop, Illustrator and InDesign.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Expos?_%28Mac_OS_X%29

Expose is the main reason I prefer to Photoshop on a Mac. Font Book is also a great piece of software which I use all the time, being able to preview fonts and disable ones I don't need/use very often so that Photoshop doesn't eat my machine at launch.

And without forgetting, Spotlight, it makes it very easy to find image files which I placed in xyz and quickly preview even the largest .psd files without needing to open Photoshop. Lets remember that even though Vista has advanced search, Tiger had it back in 2004, and at that point in time no one is going to hold off getting Photoshop CS2 just for Vista's search in 2-3 years when Tiger has very capable search already at that time. So using Photoshop on a Mac has been a much more pleasant experience for me in the past 3 years than what Microsofts platforms could offer.

HAHAHAA... ha. The final release of CS3 should load in the same time on either a PC or a Mac. If it doesn't then Adobe's poor programming is to blame, not Microsoft or Windows.

P.S. CS2 takes 3-5 seconds MAX to load on my average PC.