Is Vista Mature enough for Hardcore Gamers?

Windows Gaming  

188 members have voted

1. 1. Is Vista Mature enough for Hardcore Gamers?

• Yes - Recommend Vista 32bit
    • Yes - Recommend Vista 64bit
    • No - The best choice is Windows XP 32bit
    • No - The best choice is Windows XP 64bit

I want to know what the general feeling out there is about Gaming on Vista Vs. Gaming on XP

I tried to play S.T.A.L.K.E.R Patched 1.00001 Pach and after the first 10 minutes of real enjoyable game play the game froze solid at that was it.

So I don't really know how to proceed. Install Windows XP again? But what to go for, 32bit or 64bit? Is Vista really mature enough and stable enough for quality gaming?

Update: Just to be clear, my gaming performance and stability problems are in Vista 64bit which is the operating system I have installed now, although perhaps not for much longer since I'm a hardcore gamer

Edited by _0_0_

Vista may be, bu the video and audio drivers on the market, right now, are far from being mature enough.

So bangbang023 which would you recommend? XP 32bit or 64bit?

Vista is fine, the drivers suck. It's sad, but true.

Go 64 bit Vista if you have the option...it is the future anyways.

I disagree. Only go 64-bit if you have the hardware and have >3 GB of RAM. Otherwise, software and driver issues mitigate any potential performance benefit.

Vista is fine, the drivers suck. It's sad, but true.

Go 64 bit Vista if you have the option...it is the future anyways.

Problem is that I'm not able to play my games well under Vista 64bit.

I agree I feel vista itself is good but the drivers stink.

IF your playing heavey games then i would say stay Away.

I have only played games like peggle and Roller Coaster Tycoon 3 on my vista comp and no problems .

If you want to play games for you Vista make sure you have the latest drivers (as they almost all suck (not Ms's fault)) and the latest patch. It should work but it depends on your PC and driver.

Hope it helped. :)

Bah, Personally I'm in torture test on Vista (My XP install is tagged as dead) and Gaming is a pain... I don't know, wherever you go on the net there always people saying that it work wonder and other people complaining about problems. All you can do is buy it and see. For me Vista 32Bits is working not too bad in other stuff, except a series of bugs and annoyances. But one thing is sure, Vista will not beat XP in games until all games and drivers reach 100% compatibility to Vista.

I wont recommend switching to vista if you are hardcore gamer lol... I did and I regret it! the performance is slower than expected

I wont recommend switching to vista if you are hardcore gamer lol... I did and I regret it! the performance is slower than expected

I experienced the same thing trying to run MS Arcade (for Windows 3.11) under ME and XP.

After battling through the installation from floppy (my computer didn't have a floppy drive)... I had problems: the game ran too fast to use or things were so slow it took all of the fun out of it... sometimes the keyboard didn't respond under XP like it did under 3.11. Millipede totally sucked in ME and crashed XP.

And then there was the "You Don't Know Jack" series... those games completely hosed XP!

I never had any problems running XP x64 SP1 as the original cd release version. It was a solid operating system built from Server 2003 code base. The recent SP2 release made a great operating system just a little bit better. When it was first released there were some issues with driver availability but now almost any hardware you own has a vendor support driver for XP/2003 x64. XP SP2 (32bit) still inhabits a portion of my laptop drive and does everything required of it. I don't have any need to upgrade from either version. Vote for XP x64.

I want to know what the general feeling out there is about Gaming on Vista Vs. Gaming on XP

I tried to play S.T.A.L.K.E.R Patched 1.00001 Pach and after the first 10 minutes of real enjoyable game play the game froze solid at that was it.

So I don't really know how to proceed. Install Windows XP again? But what to go for, 32bit or 64bit? Is Vista really mature enough and stable enough for quality gaming?

Update: Just to be clear, my gaming performance and stability problems are in Vista 64bit which is the operating system I have installed now, although perhaps not for much longer since I'm a hardcore gamer

I confess, I didn't read the whole thread. I had problems with S.T.A.L.K.E.R until i found an updated user config file on the S.T.A.L.K.E.R forums. It especially helped me because I have an nVidia card. The game ran fine for me on 1024x768. It was pretty much unplayable until I updated the user config file.

My specs:

Core duo T2300 1.66

Nvidia ge force go 7400

1gb ram

I'm not a SUPER HARDCORE GAMER and all the games I've played seem to run good enough for me, including Rainbow Six Las Vegas. Hope this helps.

Gaming for me in Vista x64 since ditching Nvidia and switching to ATI has been great. But if your still unsatisfied with your driver related failings in Vista then as previously mentioned, I'd also recommend x64 XP, which was my primary OS prior to Vista and offered great performance with utterly solid reliability.

As this is a family PC, gaming selection is varied, I may be a hard-core gamer at heart, but when I buy titles, I have to purchase on the wants of everybody else as well as myself :s

Haven't encountered any significant performance degradation in:

Battlestations Midway

Black & White 2 Battle of the Gods

Black & White 2

Brothers In Arms

Brothers In Arms EiB

Condemned - Criminal Origins

Dark Messiah of Might and Magic

DreamFall Longest Journey

Fable

FarCry (64-bit)

Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter

GTA San Andreas

Jade Empire

NeverWinter Nights

NeverWinter Nights II

Oblivion

PANZERS - Phase1

Prey

Rayman Raving Rabbids

RollerCoaster Tycoon III

S.T.A.L.K.E.R. - Shadow of Chernobyl

Serious Sam 2

The Settlers II - 10th Anniversary

The Sims? 2

Titan Quest

Titan Quest - Immortal Throne

Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six Vegas

Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell Chaos Theory

UEFA Champions League 2006-2007

UT 2004 (64-bit)

Virtua Tennis 3

Edited by ManMountain

Best choice would be Windows x64 if your devices are supported. Can still run games a little better than 32-bit through WOW64.

Also, since Nvidia released 101.70 drivers, my Windows Vista performance has been on par with Windows XP.

I find gaming on vista x64 (ultimate) to be fine, i get FarCry crashing recently since the 6.3 ATI drivers but im back on 6.2 and it works a.ok

And i have 2GB of RAM, you don't need > 3GB, thats rediculous

Thanks,

Garnett

I've tried MS-Vista Ultimate 32b ... It's "OK" , but the drivers for sound and video still

need a lot of work. If you plan on using it more for PC games ... stay with MS-WinXP Pro 32b

for now.

It's going to take another 6 to 10 months for drivers to improve for MS-Vista ...