Is Vista Mature enough for Hardcore Gamers?

Windows Gaming  

188 members have voted

1. 1. Is Vista Mature enough for Hardcore Gamers?

• Yes - Recommend Vista 32bit
    • Yes - Recommend Vista 64bit
    • No - The best choice is Windows XP 32bit
    • No - The best choice is Windows XP 64bit

Thanks for your advice. I thought as much. :/ Now where's my XP 32-bit media.

Lets be honest thats what you wanted to hear and jumped onto that person as soon as someone said it.

I play all the games i used to play on winxp, i currently have Vista ultimate x64 and 3gb of ram with my machine.

I wouldnt go back to XP.

Some of the drivers aint great atm, but the ati drivers ive noticed are improving massively each time a new one is realeased, and as for the audio, well creative have released alchamey which allows me to get the full benifits of EAX etc in all the games making the best of my 5.1 surround sound system.

definatly vista.

WindowsXP x64. As Budious said, its built on the more solid Server 2003 codebase. The driver support now for XP x64, is as good as XP 32bit except for legacy hardware. It is definately more solid and reliable and faster than Vista. Also, there is no DirectSound in Vista, so many games you play will not have EAX or hardware accelerated sound.

Another reason why I recommend the 64 bit version of XP is that Half-Life 2 (the only 64bit game I've played) runs much better than on the 32bit version of XP, and I imagine other 64bit games will also run better.

Not in my opinion no. I'd recommend XP32 for gaming still.

I'm not a solid pc gamer anymore, and do most of my gaming on my 360, but do play RTS's on the PC. Last night I updated to the latest Forceware drivers for my 7900GTX, and wham, 2 BSOD's (after running C&C3 for 1hr), and one NV Control panel failure in a single hour. Obviously nvidia are to blame rather then Vista in this instance, but the fact still remains that the OS isn't as robust as it should be right now thanks to it's drivers.

I wish I had the balls to return to XP but it would feel like such a backwards move after experiencing the smoothness of vista. Driver vendors all need time to adjust to the OS, even though muppets like Creative Labs have had ages to sort themselves out.

Now that I've reinstalled all my games on XP32bit I'm happy again, and why is it that even though Vista has all the ReadyBoost and Ready*whatever* technologies, why does XP32bit feel so much faster?!

I miss the nice transparencies and maybe even the sidebar - Yahoo widget bar is pretty cool too.

In game eyecandy is what I'm after and XP delivers, Vista does too to a certain extent but not in a reliable and fast way. I hope Microsoft is actually working on a Service Pack or a load of fixes to make Vista hardcore gamer friendly. But I get the feeling that it will probably not happen. :/

I haven't seen many issues in games on vista myself! I have run games like silent hunter 4, far cry, and battlefield 2142 with no problems. Not sure what is different here, but I am very happy about it! :)

Vista's fine. It's the drivers out that are causing problems. That being said, I can play STALKER on my X1900XTX without any issues.

Vista can play some games fine but it does make better use of hardware which older hardware will have trouble keeping up.

for example i have a X850 XT and on XP 32 bit it plays counter strike fine. but on vista it was getting lag and fram drops when alot of stuff happens but counter strike was much smoother and easier to play on so i think it will be fine once a new generation of hardware and drivers that are fine come into work.

Best bet if you have enough space is to dual boot with Vista and compare the differences before switching over. If you don't like it you can always delete it and wait a while or leave it on to test.

I recommend installing the 64bit if you're a hardcore gamer. Chances are most people will have under 4gb (Remember that's normal ram + Gfx memory) of ram when installing vista but when surely in future more games will require larger amounts of memory so it saves another reinstall.

Since the 101.70 drivers graphics have been great. Only thing left is some better 5.1 support but I have a hunch that that's the games' fault.

(Company of Heroes has 5.1 support fine, as does Vista's test app. Just some games dont support it)

Since the 101.70 drivers graphics have been great. Only thing left is some better 5.1 support but I have a hunch that that's the games' fault.

(Company of Heroes has 5.1 support fine, as does Vista's test app. Just some games dont support it)

When did these drivers get released? Are they on WindowsUpdate? There are no new drivers on nvidia.com :/

XP X64 sp2.Why? Why not.

When did these drivers get released? Are they on WindowsUpdate? There are no new drivers on nvidia.com :/

Guru3d.com is good for getting Nvidia drivers.

XP X64 sp2.Why? Why not.

Guru3d.com is good for getting Nvidia drivers.

Ok Cheers for that tip. I think I'm going to wait until these are official before I retry Vista 32bit. XP is great but I miss the eyecandy. I'm torn between the two.

My opinion might be a bit controversial (to some its controversial anyway) but I prefer Windows 2003 as a workstation as a gaming OS. It has the NT 5.2 kernel which is better than XP's 5.1 in the 32-bit edition. Once hardware accel, sound accel is enabled the only thing missing from it is the fancy XP welcome screen (and there are ways to get that back too, if you're inclined to do so).

i consider myself a hardcore gamer, and 64bit vista is running great for me, especialy since 101.70 driver was released, i really got the feeling the the driver support is improving. Also i can run any game i want to at the same settings as xp. Sure there are some bugs but i like to be on the bleeding edge. I voted reccomend 64bit vista, but only for people that have some technical background.

i consider myself a hardcore gamer, and 64bit vista is running great for me, especialy since 101.70 driver was released, i really got the feeling the the driver support is improving. Also i can run any game i want to at the same settings as xp. Sure there are some bugs but i like to be on the bleeding edge. I voted reccomend 64bit vista, but only for people that have some technical background.

What games do you play?

I also had problems with F.E.A.R it played slower but that wasn't the major problem, it also took forever to exit and churned the hard disk when exiting like mad.