Is Vista Mature enough for Hardcore Gamers?

Windows Gaming  

188 members have voted

1. 1. Is Vista Mature enough for Hardcore Gamers?

• Yes - Recommend Vista 32bit
    • Yes - Recommend Vista 64bit
    • No - The best choice is Windows XP 32bit
    • No - The best choice is Windows XP 64bit

Windows XP Professional 64-bit.

It's based on Windows 2003. Its secure, stable, reliable and most of all FAST.

I got a 2gb system and Iv noticed dramatic performance improvements over even Windows XP (32-bit).

As for Vista, basically in my opinion even after the 101.70 drivers, its actually pretty crap for hardcore gaming.

I just bought Supreme Commander and it ran like absolute SH1TE on Windows Vista 32-bit.

Now going back to Xp x64 it runs silky smooth.

How can some actually have voted yes?

Your experience with the software doesn't hold true with everyone else. Why is that so hard to understand?

All my computers are running some flavor of Vista and all are comparable with XP for gaming.

How can some actually have voted yes?

Because we use ATi who have had excellent drivers for quite some time now.

Vista is fine for gaming, theres just idiots out there that blame the lack of driver support on Microsoft. Vista as an OS is excellent for anything, its the driver support that lets it down...

Vista is fine for gaming, theres just idiots out there that blame the lack of driver support on Microsoft. Vista as an OS is excellent for anything, its the driver support that lets it down...

The question has to be asked, why did companies like nvidia and creative sit on their hands while Vista was in the final rounds of testing?

Maybe Microsoft didn't encourage and support those companies enough. Otherwise why would nvidia and creative shoot themselves in the foot since Windows devices is where their profits come from?!

*points to previous post* Tomshardware says its slower, even using an ATI.

*points to date of article* Yes, because the drivers have been the same since Vista was released :rolleyes:

*points to date of article* Yes, because the drivers have been the same since Vista was released :rolleyes:

I dont think any KERNEL updates have been released. Note that it was very sucky compared to XP in the encoding areas too ;). This is quite off topic however (somewhat). I stand by my choice that vista is subpar in terms of gaming ATM.

And I stand by my statement that gaming is perfectly fine in Vista. I get the same framerates and performance as I did in XP.

Microsoft has to take some blame for that as well. When XP is installed the accounts that are created during the install process are admin accounts. The problem with that is that everyone including MS wrote thier software and drivers and assumed admin access was there. Now MS changes the way the kernel, audio, driver subsystems, ect. work so it can work with non-admin accounts and driver manufacturers have to take thier once kernel only drivers and rewrite them to work. People can't blindly say it's all the fault of the driver providers because it's not.

Microsoft has to take some blame for that as well. When XP is installed the accounts that are created during the install process are admin accounts. The problem with that is that everyone including MS wrote thier software and drivers and assumed admin access was there. Now MS changes the way the kernel, audio, driver subsystems, ect. work so it can work with non-admin accounts and driver manufacturers have to take thier once kernel only drivers and rewrite them to work. People can't blindly say it's all the fault of the driver providers because it's not.

Not to mention the extra layer of abstraction that makes driver writing more difficult and more expensive....

And I stand by my statement that gaming is perfectly fine in Vista. I get the same framerates and performance as I did in XP.

Yup me to,

I still get the same crashes that i did in XP as well, crashing to desktop, etc.. but again thats drivers.

Why are we arguing this anyway, XP is SP2, its been through gold / vanilla, sp1 and sp2.. course its going to be a bit better.

Vista is gold... vanilla... whatever

Thanks,

Garnett

I found it a bitch playing Age of Empires II over LAN today, let alone jDOOM not working in OpenGL mode.

Forget playing Wolfenstein 3D! Just doesn't work. DOSBox FTW!

Verdict: Great for newer games (UT2k4 works perfectly). Crap for old games!

atm i still feel xp32bit is superior and will not be beaten for some time to come...

Glassed Silver:win

Yeah theres really no debate about it. Windows XP is the best choice for hardcore gaming; although once Windows Vista matures more, better drivers will appear.

Like when Windows XP was released, everyone was saying that Windows 98/ME was the best choice for gaming.

Yes, we can, because it is. These companies probably had around a year if not more knowing exactly how Vista was going to work with drivers. They had plenty of time to develop their software to work with the new kernel. They sat on their asses and decided not to care until the last minute, and now they have buggy drivers that don't work as well. It IS their fault.