Which media player to use?

Why bother installing various codec packs and filters, some of which in all probability you're never going to use?

GOM Player is really good - it even has its own AC3 filter so you don't even have to install that seperately! GOM also has a lot of advanced features but easy to use features. Its only 4 MB in size and doesn't slow down your system at all!

I have quite a few media players installed since I like a few options and sometimes one solution isn't enough. I prefer Media Player Classic with the CCCP codec pack. I KMPlayer almost as much though. For music I either use Billy or JetAudio. For any kind of CD ripping or encoding I use JetAudio as well.

Just went from using WMP11 to VLC for videos now, the newest version of VLC fixed all the problems i had earlier.

But still not sure of which audio program i want to use, used winamp a lot before, but last time i tried to install it here on vista i got a messages saying "winamp has known problems with vista" or something like that.

Is there any new version of winamp out now which works good with vista?

Windows Media Center and WMP11 with VLC Codecs but at the moment im finding VLC hard to play AVI files :( it just doesn't show them but they will show in WMP11 but the Audio is faster then the video :|

cloudstrife: re 64bit Vista: I'm not sure who else other than WMP has a 64bit player on Vista. If I had a 64bit home machine (I have a 32bit home machine, only one of my work machines is 64bit), I'd probably get a kick out of using the 64bit player. If you're still trying to use 32bit players, use whatever makes you happy. I just want the multimedia side of Vista working right. :)

re: wmp:

The lack of features and preferences to set...

...general annoyances like codec support...

Yeah, if you're on NeoWin, you're definitely not an average user. WMP11 / Vista made a point of catering towards the average user, who makes up ... most of the market. :)

As re: codec support, there's 800+ codecs, and new codecs are written all the time (I think I've run across five new ones (new to you too, smarty pants :) ) in the past month), so 'codec support' will always be a moving target for any player. Sucks. :(

...WMP also encourages ratings...
I would also strongly recommend the Ratings Migration Powertoy (should work fine on Vista). I use that to make sure my ratings are stored to files so that I can restore them as I move them between systems.

Question, the x64 vista codecs pack: http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showto...st&p=459562

Do i have to install both Vista Codec Package and Vista Codec x64 Components to get it to work?

Because those two .exe files has a big filesize difference.

If i understod it right, you should only install the x64 component pack if you use x64 wmp11 and the x64 media center in vista x64?

And the other pack is for x32? or?

I'm using Windows Media Player 11 for music, and some videos, as some videos, for some wierd reason, won't play the sound, so I use Media Player Classic for those videos.

What videos? This is deterministic in nature. I totally respect using another player because you like that more, but if it's just because something is broken - there's probably a solution available there. Start a new thread on that. :)

I'm using iTunes for ripping/burning - WinAmp for listening - GOM Player for video and DVD.

I am using Winamp latest here for music in Vista X32 however sometimes the audio skips if i play wma files in it. It's not about CPU usage, its when there are other apps asking for CPU resource.

I am using Winamp latest here for music in Vista X32 however sometimes the audio skips if i play wma files in it. It's not about CPU usage, its when there are other apps asking for CPU resource.

Try foobar2000.

Winamp for audio and Windows Media Player (+ DivX codecs) for video. Winamp skips when the CPU usage (by other process) goes around 30% in Vista :( Hoping they would come out with OpenAL output plugin soon