Which media player to use?

• 3 weeks later...

VLC is great for playing partially downloaded videos where everything else (including MPC) won't open it but otherwise I dislike the interface.

WMP11 is great for audio but well over the top for video. I used to use WMP64 on XP but seeing as that's now officially dead (I did try to port it across) on Vista I now use MPC. I still prefer WMP64 for it's simplicity, it's got all the options I'd ever need but like I said it's dead and as MPC is pretty close to WMP64 it will do me nicely.

WMP11 full-screen interface doesn't suit playing videos well IMO. I've zero need for a DB libary for videos too, any old file manager is perfectly good for that. I keep all my videos in one folder (with a hierarchy obviously) anyway. Audio is very different it works better with tagging and a DB libary, WMP11 is very good at that.

For photos I use Windows Photo Gallery (+ my File Manager), the photo functionality in WMP11 is very basic.

On Vista x32:

WMP11 for audio, as I love its album art display and it's nice and easy to use compared to the older versions.

Zoom Player + FFDShow for video. Great hugely customizable player that has served me well through the years. I also use VLC to play back partially downloaded video files.

On Vista x32:

WMP11 for audio, as I love its album art display and it's nice and easy to use compared to the older versions.

Zoom Player + FFDShow for video. Great hugely customizable player that has served me well through the years. I also use VLC to play back partially downloaded video files.

is there any way, how you can display the album art at selfcreated playlists? pls help

Edited by juergen84

I use VLC for .mov files, and WMP for everything else. Good thing I saw this thread as it helped me fix the problem I had with VLC videos only playing the audio but no video.

I'm using Itunes at the moment... only because I cant find an app that'll sync WMP library to my iPod. Well... that's the say I couldn't find any free one.

WMP11 is great for audio but well over the top for video. I used to use WMP64 on XP but seeing as that's now officially dead (I did try to port it across) on Vista I now use MPC. I still prefer WMP64 for it's simplicity, it's got all the options I'd ever need but like I said it's dead and as MPC is pretty close to WMP64 it will do me nicely.
I don't think you tried *that* hard. :)

Definitely absolutely utterly unsupported, mind you... but it took me about two minutes to do. I didn't try to get anything beyond DirectShow playback (MPEG/AVI [RIFF]) working.

EDIT: Edited for scale. You don't really need a huge bulky pic. This isn't rocket science anyways.

post-42447-1180488117.jpg

• 1 year later...
I`m having a problem with .mov files with any media player except WMP why is that ?

i`m using Vista X64

First of all, don't resurrect old threads. Start a new one. ;)

As for your problem, Haali's splitter can split mov files so you can play them in WMP.

iTunes & QuickTimes would best on both Mac OS X and Windows if it weren't so slow. It lags constantly and apparently Apple will not do anything about it.

Audio: Foobar2000

Video: DivX

First of all, don't resurrect old threads. Start a new one. ;)

As for your problem, Haali's splitter can split mov files so you can play them in WMP.

actually it`s working in WMP and not working with any other Media player (Gom , Km player , MPC )

I use Windows media player with the 'Community Combined Codec Pack' i love it, i think i got it recommended here and it is really smooth, iv'e never had problems with it like its never caused memory problems, cpu usage problems, it updates often which is nice to get the latest fixes for the codecs and i think its 100% legal.

Website is: www.cccp-project.net

actually it`s working in WMP and not working with any other Media player (Gom , Km player , MPC )

Ah, sorry. lol I misread.

I don't know about Gom and KMplayer, but MPC should be able to split the file.

What happens when you try to play with MPC?