HD TV Resolution

I am looking to buy a TV pretty much yesterday but I have a question. How important is the resolution? I can get a 32inch Vizio for under $500. Here are the specs.

Display Details

Diagonal Screen Size 32in.

Display Resolution 1366 x 768

Contrast Ratio 800:1

Brightness (Typical), cd/m2 500

Viewing Angle (Horizontal) 170

Viewing Angle (Vertical) 170

Response Time, milli-seconds 8

Aspect Ratio 16:9

TV Type HDTV

System Details

High Definition Capability Yes

Lamp Life / Lifetime, Hours 50000

Parental Control With V-Chip Yes

QAM Tuner Yes

Tuner Details

Built-in tuner Yes

Built-in tuner type ATSC

HDTV Tuner Details Integrated HDTV

Video Details

Built-In Closed Caption Decoder Yes

Freeze Picture Yes

Resolution Support 1080i

Picture enhancement

Digital Comb Filter 3D-Y/C

Progressive Scan Yes

Special Features

PIP (Picture-in-Picture) Yes

POP (Picture-on-Picture) Yes

Audio Details

Includes Built-in Speakers? Yes

Total Number of Built-in Speakers 2

Speaker - Watts / Channel 10

Speaker - Location Bottom

Details

Additional Features Inputs:

RF (F Connector for internal tuner): 2

HDMI with HDCP: 1

Analog Stereo Audio for HDMI Inputs: 1

Component YPbPr plus Stereo Audio: 2

Composite Video: 3

S-Video plus Stereo Audio: 1

Computer RGB plus Stereo Audio: 1

Service Port: 1

Outputs:

Analog Audio out (RCA): 1

5.1 SPDIF Digital Optical Audio: 1

Headphone (Stereo Mini-Jack): 1

Power

Voltage Required AC 90/264V

Power Consumption Operational 160 Watts

Physical Details

Case Color Black

Width, inches Without Stand 33.2

Height, inches without Stand 25.3

Depth, inches without stand 5

Weight, lbs without Stand 38

I am going to play a XBOX 360 on it and was just wondering if it will suffice.

It will definitely suffice. I have a 50" with the same resolution, and it looks fantastic. To be quite honest, 1080p (instead of the 720p you have) won't look any better than 720p at that size (32"). Unless you are using it as a computer monitor or sitting unreasonably close to the screen.

1366 x 768 is actually the most common resolution for HDTVs. They say to really appreciate 1080p video, you have to have a display 50" or larger. The Vizio would be a smart purchase. (Y)

After working with Sam's club, I'm not really a fan of Vizio but their return policy is key.. (if it's still the same, haven't been in to check their newer sets)

I think the contrast ratio could have been a bit higher... 800:1 is yester-year as is 1200:1, nowdays 81cm LCD are at least 1600:1, samsung make a 3000:1

the contrast ratio determines how black the image can be.... Plasmas have a huge contast ratio ... something like 10000:1, thus blacks look better on them

actually some of the latest samsung LCDs i've seen are around 8000:1 which is pretty darn impressive

i prefer plasmas though, not just because i have one :p

It's all marketing i believe. Something to do whith dynamic contrast ratio

'' wikipedia:

A notable recent development in the LCD technology is the so called "dynamic contrast" (DC). When there is a need to display a dark image, the display would underpower the backlight lamp (or decrease the aperture of the projector's lens using a shutter), but will proportionately amplify the transmission through the LCD panel. This gives the benefit of realizing the potential static contrast ratio of the LCD panel in dark scenes, when the image is watched in a dark room. The drawback is that if a dark scene does contain small areas of superbright light, they may be sacrificed and blown out.

The trick for the display is to determine how much of the highlights may be unnoticeably blown out in a given image under the given ambient lighting conditions.

Brightness, as it is most often used in marketing literature, refers to the emitted luminous intensity on screen measured in candela per square metre (cd/m^2). The higher the number, the brighter the screen.

It is also common to market only the dynamic contrast ratio capability of a display (when it is better than its static contrast ratio), which should not be directly compared to the static contrast ratio. A plasma display with a static 5000:1 contrast ratio will show superior contrast to an LCD display with 5000:1 dynamic and 1000:1 static contrast ratio when the input signal contains full range of brightnesses from 0 to 100% simultaneously. However they will be on par when input signal ranges only from 0 to 20% brightnes

""

I just bought this Samsung, and its 720p with 4000:1 contrast and it looks great. Even when I use 1080i I cant really notice the blocky picture that I can sometimes notice on my 50inch tv. To tell you the truth the 1080i and 720p look exactly the same to me, so 1080p is pretty pointless on a 32" screen. I know some 37" tvs do 1080p, but I havnt seen those in person, my guess is it dosnt make a difference either.

I just bought this Samsung, and its 720p with 4000:1 contrast and it looks great. Even when I use 1080i I cant really notice the blocky picture that I can sometimes notice on my 50inch tv. To tell you the truth the 1080i and 720p look exactly the same to me, so 1080p is pretty pointless on a 32" screen. I know some 37" tvs do 1080p, but I havnt seen those in person, my guess is it dosnt make a difference either.

1080i and 720p are going to look the same on that tv because it only displays up to 720p, but will take a 1080i signal and downscale it to 720.

I just got this one and absolutely love it. It works well with my HTPC.