68 members have voted

1. 1. Is time travel possible?

• Future
    • Past
    • Both
    • Not sure
    • Impossible

Hey,

Yes, I believe it is possible. However, we can only travel to the future since the past was already determined (ruling out the possibility of alternative universes).

Regards

I think travelling both ways is possible, although I'm no where near intelligent enough to find out how lol (can you imagine how rich you would be if you found a realistic way to do it? lol).

yes it is, if you can travel faster than the speed of light and it would not be possible to alter the events either: see example below

Point A ............................................. point B .............................................. Point C

Say your at point B and you see point pick his nose, if at that instance you could travel faster than light to point C, you would see Point A pick his nose again

I think it is possible for both the past and future.

Nope, not past. In a strict GR universe, all time evolution is deterministic, If one were to travel into the past, "on the second round" one cannot make any "different decisions" than the first time one went by a certain event. This would imply, for instance, that there cannot be any different "memory" state "the second time around". The (deterministic) decisions will be identically the same. In other words, if you meet your grand-dad 100 years ago along a ctc( a closed timelike curve), you must be in such a state that you don't know specifically that it is your granddad, and that you will do anything else than you "did the first time around".

Edited by ripgut

I remember seeing a BBC documentary on time travel, and it had one scientist (can't remember who) who was building a time machine so that messages can be sent from and to the future, which is kind of interesting he'll know if it works the second he turns it on.

Has anyone seen the movie Primer? That wrecked my head.

Am sure it could be possible to send some kind of electronic message into the future.

I don't like to say it's impossible mainly cause am not qualified enough, but you really never know.

i reckon going back to the past is possible, and that you would be able to do/change what ever you dam well please, it would cause a split into an alternate future from the one you had before, making it then impossible to go to the one you had before.

so i did both.

Not (currently) possible for the past (issues with causality and such), future is possible with a hacky, one way solution.

Say you leave earth in a really fast space ship, like 0.99c or such, you fly a long way from earth, then come back, doing a big loop, since time has slowed down for you, and hasn't on earth, the earth you return to will be "in the future". Stuck there though, it's like cryogenic storage kinda (except you don't turn to mush in the end)

And time dilation has been shown, so all that's stopping you is the existence of such ship, now get to it.

You can in effect travel to the future by approaching the speed of light but travel to the past is impossible. Imagine this scenario: You invent a machine to go back into the past. So you go back 20 years to where you were a grad student at MIT and you show the younger-you plans to build a time machine. So then, where did the plans originate? Its impossible because you get into a circle from which there was no beginning or end and you end up with a paradox. Can't be done. Not now, not in a million years.

Travel to the future is a fact. Travel to the past is impossible unless parallel dimensions are possible.

Good point. However, travel to your own past is in fact impossible.

Well you can look into the past, thats about the only thing i think you could do. Like by just looking at stars and how many years it takes for that light to get here. I dont get how going away from earth at a high speed and coming back would do anything. Time is going to be constant, if it takes you a year to do that then only a year would go by on earth. How does this slow down time for you, you are still on the same clock as earth.

Nope, not past. In a strict GR universe, all time evolution is deterministic, If one were to travel into the past, "on the second round" one cannot make any "different decisions" than the first time one went by a certain event. This would imply, for instance, that there cannot be any different "memory" state "the second time around". The (deterministic) decisions will be identically the same. In other words, if you meet your grand-dad 100 years ago along a ctc( a closed timelike curve), you must be in such a state that you don't know specifically that it is your granddad, and that you will do anything else than you "did the first time around".

Wow, even though we've had our in-and-outs about the whole God thing. That is pretty smart about stuff like this.

But I don't understand, how is it POSSIBLE, how would you DO IT? In a dream or a "machine"?

EDIT: It helps if I read futher down. So how does the speed of light work and such? If you go in a ship so fast and come back to earth it could be like 3 years on earth has passed by but only like 3 mins for you?

Edited by MchWalte

I voted unsure simply because I am unsure.

Theoretically I would say that it is possible to time travel, this could be accomplished by several ways including but not limited to:

1) Travelling faster than light. (From Einstein)

2) Bending the dimension that time resides in. (String theory)

3) Artificial wormhole where one end is stationary and the other is moving rapidly, effectively creating the environment of #1.

4) Extra-Temporal powers that be???

5) The Flying Spaghetti Monster

However I am unsure in that it is either possible to time travel or not, but we currently do not know enough to be sure of it, and if time travel is not possible, then we will never know for sure that it is not possible. If time travelling is made possible at any point in time, then time travel would become possible at every other point in time since the barrier of time nolonger exists. So effectively it doesnt matter when it's made possible, if it's possible it's always been possible, is possible right now, and always will be possible.

Most people think of alternate realities when time travel is done, I believe that there is just one reality and that reality already takes into account all time travels that have and ever will take place. Consider this: Joe from the 29th century time travels to the 20th century. Joe was already part of the 20th century when scientists invented the time machine in the 28th century, Joe will then enter the time machine in the 29th century in order to travel back to the 20th century where he already exists. All time travellers have been part of history already, and therefore time travelling will not alter history in any way whatsoever because it has already happened in history.

Following thus, if time travel was not possible, we would be able to tell no difference than if it was possible, since we know only one history, which is entirely consistent with the rest of history whether time travel is possible or not. The only sure answer we would ever arrive at, if at all, is that time travel is possible.