Is time travel possible?

68 members have voted

1. 1. Is time travel possible?

• Future
    • Past
    • Both
    • Not sure
    • Impossible

Anyone here who says time travel is impossible is no better than the flat earthers of the 1400's.

Not really. Time travel creates paradoxes. Round planets do not. Actually I would say this is the OPPOSITE of flat-earthers. While flat-earthers relied on the bible for their answers, we are actually using data and facts to prove that it is indeed impossible to travel into the past.

Yesterday i watched "Deja Vu" with Denzel Washington.

So... I think its possible. :)

Great movie by the way! ;)

I voted unsure. While I can see the thing with the high speed ship buzzing off and coming back, would it be possible for us to build something that goes fast enough? I don't know enough about it really. Ought to get that book out again sometime...

Well you can look into the past, thats about the only thing i think you could do. Like by just looking at stars and how many years it takes for that light to get here. I dont get how going away from earth at a high speed and coming back would do anything. Time is going to be constant, if it takes you a year to do that then only a year would go by on earth. How does this slow down time for you, you are still on the same clock as earth.

Laws of physics. Things get a bit odd at very high speeds.

I think it comes under "special relativity" and "Lorentz transformations" if you want to Google it, but others on here can probably help you out (and correct my information if it's wrong).

time dilation, the faster an object goes, the slower time is for that object.

They tested this was two very accurate atomic clocks, both set to exactly the same time, they had one stationary and one went for a round the world flight on an aeroplane, after the trip the clock on the plane was slower by a small amount.

actually, kurt g?del, the famous logician (called the greatest since aristotle) and mathematician, proved that at least one solution to einstein's equations leads to a universe in which time is possible. these time-travel paths in certain universes (e.g., rotating ones) are known as closed timelike curves, a consequence of general relativity that disturbed einstein (the two were close friends).

here is some more on g?del: http://www.earlham.edu/~peters/writing/godel.htm

here's a short paper on g?del universes: http://publish.uwo.ca/~jbell/Time.pdf

here's an interesting interview with michio kaku: http://www.sciam.com/article.cfm?articleID...r=1&catID=4

The Vulcan Science Directorate says that time travel is impossible.

We're trapped on our timeline like ants on a wire.

Time travel into the past is a logical impossibility due to paradox. I also tend to rule out instantaneous time travel into the future. Cryogenics or something of that nature isn't true time travel (or at least it isn't instantaneous).

actually, kurt g?del, the famous logician (called the greatest since aristotle) and mathematician, proved that at least one solution to einstein's equations leads to a universe in which time is possible. these time-travel paths in certain universes (e.g., rotating ones) are known as closed timelike curves, a consequence of general relativity that disturbed einstein (the two were close friends).

here is some more on g?del: http://www.earlham.edu/~peters/writing/godel.htm

here's a short paper on g?del universes: http://publish.uwo.ca/~jbell/Time.pdf

here's an interesting interview with michio kaku: http://www.sciam.com/article.cfm?articleID...r=1&catID=4

Exactly, CTC's. I've heard of Godel, but haven't yet read anything by him, thanks for these link(Y)(Y)

I think that both are impossible.

If we go back we screw up the future. of we go forward, well, have you ever heard the command and conquer motto? Command the future conquer the past. If we go forward it will screw up the past from that point back which would be our current present.

I think Time Travel is just silly talk. People think it's possible because time is just not explainable. It just happens.

how do we even know 'time' actually is real? or how we perceive time to be?

i personally thing the way we interprete everything is nothing what it really is... some feel if man or something actually knew the essence of everything we would cease to be.

Sergey Evdeyev Has been on the space station for 748 days and when he returned he was 1/50 younger than he would have had he stayed on earth.

When you travel by plane your techically time traveling, just not much.

time travel to the future is very much possible.

Well you can look into the past, thats about the only thing i think you could do. Like by just looking at stars and how many years it takes for that light to get here. I dont get how going away from earth at a high speed and coming back would do anything. Time is going to be constant, if it takes you a year to do that then only a year would go by on earth. How does this slow down time for you, you are still on the same clock as earth.

Traveling at a very high speed makes time slow down for you - literally. So if you have two identical clocks, you leave one on Earth, take one with you on a spaceship traveling very very fast, when you come back in one year and compare the time on both clocks, you will observe that everyone on Earth aged exactly one year, while you only aged a few month depending on how close the speed of the ship is to c (speed of light) So effectively you traveled into the future.

I voted unsure simply because I am unsure.

Theoretically I would say that it is possible to time travel, this could be accomplished by several ways including but not limited to:

1) Travelling faster than light. (From Einstein)

2) Bending the dimension that time resides in. (String theory)

3) Artificial wormhole where one end is stationary and the other is moving rapidly, effectively creating the environment of #1.

4) Extra-Temporal powers that be???

5) The Flying Spaghetti Monster

However I am unsure in that it is either possible to time travel or not, but we currently do not know enough to be sure of it, and if time travel is not possible, then we will never know for sure that it is not possible. If time travelling is made possible at any point in time, then time travel would become possible at every other point in time since the barrier of time nolonger exists. So effectively it doesnt matter when it's made possible, if it's possible it's always been possible, is possible right now, and always will be possible.

Most people think of alternate realities when time travel is done, I believe that there is just one reality and that reality already takes into account all time travels that have and ever will take place. Consider this: Joe from the 29th century time travels to the 20th century. Joe was already part of the 20th century when scientists invented the time machine in the 28th century, Joe will then enter the time machine in the 29th century in order to travel back to the 20th century where he already exists. All time travellers have been part of history already, and therefore time travelling will not alter history in any way whatsoever because it has already happened in history.

Following thus, if time travel was not possible, we would be able to tell no difference than if it was possible, since we know only one history, which is entirely consistent with the rest of history whether time travel is possible or not. The only sure answer we would ever arrive at, if at all, is that time travel is possible.

Then how come we don't see any time travelers around?

Exactly, CTC's. I've heard of Godel, but haven't yet read anything by him, thanks for these links. (Y)

Read Godel, Escher, Bach - The Eternal Golden Braid when you get a chance. It might just be the most amazing piece of literary work I've ever read.

Haven't read the thread, but I've been involved in many past time travel threads here, and I've read a few books on the subject.

Basically, it goes like this.

Time travel to the future is possible, and in fact everyone is doing it, all the time. We just happen to be doing it at the same speed, more or less. The faster you travel through space, the faster you travel through time. Easy peasy. If you orbit the earth for one year at a significant percentage of the speed of light, many many years will have passed on Earth. You will have traveled X years into the future over the course of that year.

Flipping things over, similar travel into the past is not possible. Because matter traveling less than light can never accelerate to a speed greater than light, said matter can never travel back in time (by this method).

Now, to travel 'instantaneously' into the future (or past), one obviously cannot rely on speed of travel alone, so one must warp space-time to such an extent that direct access to the time of your choice is possible. Obviously, this is not currently feasible, but at least theoretically, such 'bends' or 'tears' in spacetime are possible. One such instance is the wormhole. Unfortunately, they are incredibly small and don't last nearly long enough to be of any use. Another possibility involves generating a gravitational field so strong that space and time are bent to the breaking point. In order to pull off such a feat, one would need a cylinder the equivalent of 50 neutron stars stacked up, spinning at full speed. Such a mass, spinning at such a speed, would (theoretically, mind you) create 'zones' around it in which the immense gravitational field would allow access to both the future and the past. A cylinder is used because the only way to enter such a 'zone' would be through either end of the cylinder, where the field is not as strong (think of the magnetic field lines on a bar magnet).

Concerning paradoxes, well, there are none. Consider the grandfather paradox. The simple fact that you exist stipulates that you cannot possibly go back in time to kill him before he conceives your father. If you do go back in time, one of two things happen. Either everything you do while in the past has already happened (in which case you never killed your grandfather, because you exist), or killing your grandfather creates an alternate timeline in which you are never born, leaving your original timeline intact.

We are already technically travelling to the future by following the natural flow of time. I'm slightly unsure about travelling into the past because of all the paradoxes involved and that once you have already travelled back in time you have already altered that area thus changing the time line you would return to if you wanted to return to where you came from - which would cause endless problems...

A lot of people have been saying you would need to reach the speed of light but that is impossible. The faster you travel, the more you weigh (mass stays constant) this means that the faster you travel the more energy you would need to increase your speed. So to reach the speed of light you would need an infinite amount of energy to push an infinite amount of weight. So if reaching the speed of light or faster speeds is necessary for time travel it would be impossible. Of course if you only wanted to travel a bit then you could probably provide enough energy to travel slightly in time.

Then how come we don't see any time travelers around?

That's kind of the whole point isnt it? Time travellers - if they exist, would all be part of our history already and we would be able to tell no difference between them and us. Therefore we dont know if it's possible, because we cant see a difference.

I remember seeing a BBC documentary on time travel, and it had one scientist (can't remember who) who was building a time machine so that messages can be sent from and to the future, which is kind of interesting he'll know if it works the second he turns it on.

from, AND to the future?

steps to sending a message TO the future..

1. think

2. write a book

3. congrats!