I finally gave in...

They just announced they have sold 100,000 standalone HD-DVD players in the US now. The recent introduction of a cheaper model is really boosting sales, and 70 more movies are due before July. :)

and how does blu ray stack up, do you know?

I don't know how many standalone Blu-Ray players have been sold, I don't think it's quite as many though. HD-DVD players are currently much cheaper (talking about set top players not the PS3) but Blu-Ray has more movies right now I think. The PS3 was Blu-Ray's secret weapon, and it did drive BD movie sales up for a while but it seems to be settling back down now that the PS3 isn't doing so hot and with cheaper Toshiba players coming out. It's still a very small market though so it's way too early to really say who is winning. HD-DVD is doing better in Europe last I read. This site tracks Amazon sales of the two formats: http://www.eproductwars.com/dvd/

im about to buy one.. im trying to hold off, because i need the money.. but the technology is too tempting :)

eh, invest in some good basics, TV, Speakers, and everything else is just add-ons. I want a standalone HD-DVD player, but thats budgeted for after christmas. :(

Have you taken advantage of the 5 free HD-DVD's?

I've been thinking of getting one, but money's tight (well, not really, just too tight for indulging in technology like this)... I'll end up buying one, I just don't know when.

That set is 720p, not 1080i.

well i'll be darned... it isn't! Oh well.

And I just filled out the 5 dvd offer. I'm mailing it first thing in the morning. Thanks for the heads up!

edit: which resolution is 1366x768? I can't seem to find that answer anywhere :/

edit: nevermind.

Edited by duccodude