Square Enix Confirms FFXIII Is Not Exclusive To PS3

Update:

Final Fantasy on PS3 and Xbox 360 Details

4/19/07

Reports are coming out stating that Square could be working on a brand new Final Fantasy MMO which could be multiplatform meaning that it would be not only on the PlayStation 3, but also the Xbox 360 and the PC as well.

This news comes from an interview with Sage Sundai, the Global Online Producer of Square. He stated that the next Final Fantasy from Square Enix would likely be on other consoles besides the PS3.

"FFXI is a cross-platform online game so you can play from the Xbox 360 or PS2 in and also Windows. So for our next MMO, we?ll also consider this cross platform feature. Regardless of the platform they?re playing on, for online games, it might be pure content which attracts the player."

The news comes from gamersquad and follows many past rumors which have stated that Final Fantasy XIII would no longer be exclusive to the PlayStation 3 as reported right here at PCN a few days ago. Only time will tell what is going to happen but it seems that Sony fans will continue to be displeased by this news as Final Fantasy as a series is going to be enjoyed from here on out by a lot more than just PlayStation fans.

SourceOriginal Post:

by Michal Birecki on 17/04/2007 Views: 24752

In news that is sure to rock the gaming world it has been confirmed that Final Fantasy XIII, the blockbuster RPG highly anticipated by millions of fans of the series, will not be an exclusive game for the PlayStation 3 console.

The Final Fantasy XIII project as of right now consists of two games for the PlayStation 3 as well as a mobile game. Motomu Toriyama of Square Enix has come out and made the confirmation that other consoles will be receiving Final Fantasy XIII on top of the PlayStation 3.

This is pretty big news and could lead to speculation as to which Final Fantasy XIII games are going where. The obvious rumors are going to be that FFXIII is heading to the Xbox 360 as well as the PlayStation 3.

This quote though could also mean that the series could be heading to the Nintendo DS handheld and or the Nintendo WII as well since Square Enix has been very impressed and pleased with the progression and installed user base of the Wii, with the DS already receiving the Final Fantasy treatment a few times.

Let the rumors begin. Either way though the fact that Final Fantasy XIII will not be a PS3-exclusive has to make any Sony fan cringe in their gaming chairs.

Source

Edited by GOJI_GKing2000

it's coming to PC.

as much as I'd like to see it on the 360, it's not going to happen. they are farting around with language and trying to be ambigous about where it's going but it's probably coming out for the PC.

I also believe a DS version of this game wouldn't count as the other platform, because they could have released a ds version of the game along with the ps3 version, because they aren't platforms or games that are competing with each other.

I wouldn't be too sure about it coming to the 360 though. I think Sony would be much more upset about the game coming out for the 360 than say for the Wii. The Wii game would probably incorporate some different style of gameplay and therefore not be a true "port" like a 360 version would be.

Just saying...

haha i read this the other day, shook my head, and figured this would make it on neowin eventually. now, i'm not saying that ff13, the main game, is not going to the 360, but this report does not confirm or deny anything at all. this site doesn't list their source (which should give you an idea of how credible they are), but they are referring to comments made by motomu toriyama in australia's psm, saying that Fabula Nova Crystallis "isn't just limited to three titles" and that "it's not simply exclusive to the PS3 and mobile phones". he does not say that ff13 is going to be multiplatform, he said fabula nova crystallis will be multiplatform. fabula nova crystallis refers to the series that ff13 will be part of (sort of like how ff7 branched of into a series of different games), not the game itself. as of now, ff13 is still a ps3 exclusive. but that may change in the future.

just wanted to clarify that this is not an official announcement that it's going to the 360. if you don't believe me, go here...

http://www.joystiq.com/2007/04/18/final-fa...and-mobile-360/

i'll quote what this site says

Square Enix director Motomu Toriyama hasn't told PSM Australia anything other than what we've already known: Fabula Nova Crystallis Final Fantasy XIII is a collective of projects that has never been declared exclusive to one platform. Yet, when Toriyama suggests that Fabula Nova Crystallis "isn't just limited to three titles" and that "it's not simply exclusive to the PS3 and mobile phones," so many of us are willing to take a leap of faith, heralding these words as a death knell for Sony, and as a confirmation of FFXIII on Xbox 360. Before you join the feverish mob, remember to draw a distinction between the primary game, currently exclusive to PlayStation 3, and the general series, already totaling three titles (Final Fantasy XIII, Final Fantasy Versus XIII, and Final Fantasy Agito XIII) and at least one loose logo, Haeresis ("Dissidia" is also possibly linked to FFXIII).

Toriyama has merely reaffirmed that, like Final Fantasy VII, the FFXIII brand will be spun into an array of disparate shards, conveniently linked by a popular title. We may yet see a spin-off on 360 -- or even a port of the PS3 games -- but don't jump to that conclusion based on the PSM interview. Yes, we've still got Haeresis (and possibly Dissidia) without a home, but either DS or PSP, or dare we say Blu-ray, DVD, and UMD, are just as valid destinations as Xbox 360 -- don't count out PlayStation 2 or Wii either. Given all the fuss that Final Fantasy rouses, Square Enix would do best to deliver on all of 'em.

The moral is: Final Fantasy XIII -- the game -- is still exclusive to PlayStation 3.

I don't think it matters what Sony thinks about it. The fact of the matter is that they'll make more money putting it on as many platforms as possible. Obviously Square has no allegiance to Sony, so them being upset over this really doesn't matter.

haha i read this the other day, shook my head, and figured this would make it on neowin eventually. now, i'm not saying that ff13, the main game, is not going to the 360, but this report does not confirm or deny anything at all. this site doesn't list their source (which should give you an idea of how credible they are), but they are referring to comments made by motomu toriyama in australia's psm, saying that Fabula Nova Crystallis "isn't just limited to three titles" and that "it's not simply exclusive to the PS3 and mobile phones". he does not say that ff13 is going to be multiplatform, he said fabula nova crystallis will be multiplatform. fabula nova crystallis refers to the series that ff13 will be part of (sort of like how ff7 branched of into a series of different games), not the game itself. as of now, ff13 is still a ps3 exclusive. but that may change in the future.

just wanted to clarify that this is not an official announcement that it's going to the 360. if you don't believe me, go here...

I agree with this. Not saying there wont be a 13 game for another system but I think XIII and VS XIII will still be exclusive.

long as my PS3 version still looks badass then its all good :).

Though I doubt it, as both systems are pretty comparable, you will have the luxury of placing one disc in and not swapping them out, thats pretty much guaranteed. DVD9's will not have the capacity to hold every single cut sequence SquareEnix intends to place in the game.

If it should go to any next-gen console, it should go to the Wii. Why? The first few FF games were Nintendo-exclusive. The later games (and remakes and ports of some of the earlier games) then switched to Sony consoles (going with FF VII, VIII, IX, etc. (numbered, includes remakes and ports), not Tactics Advance or Crystal Chronicles or anything like that). It would be nice for Nintendo gamers to have a normal FF game again IMHO. I'm not really for the PC port idea because Vista can be difficult to deal with. Obviously they aren't going to do a port to Linux, UNIX or another OS for the PC. I wouldn't count on Macs either, whether it would be on the Intel or PPC architecture. Vista screwed up the whole market, and until game developers code for something other than Windows (e.g. Mac or *nix (or both) starts to gain in popularity) or Vista gets "fixed", I don't think such a thing will happen.

I think FF13 will be the deciding factor of what console I buy next... but then, I am probably going to end up having all three.

I dont have a source, but Square-Enix announced this long ago, not specifically for XIII but they announced they werent going to be as exclusive to sony as they have been in the past.

But my guess is cell phone games. possibly a DS game.

Wont ever end up on 360 though IMO.

I guess it a good idea to expand to all three major consoles and the PC but Square Enix please bring out a new Chrono & Mana game :)

i'll quote what this site says

I'm glad I read through the thread before posting. I was just about to post the same thing, lol.

I guess it a good idea to expand to all three major consoles and the PC but Square Enix please bring out a new Chrono & Mana game :)

*hopes SE is working on something for the Chrono series* (maybe the somewhat dead rumor known as Chrono Break/Brake ??)

:p

I think the title should be Square Enix Confirms Fabula Nova Crystalis Is Not Exclusive To PS3 but this have been know for a long time now. FFXIII and FFvXIII for PS3, FFaXIII for mobile and I bet we will see one of the other 3 titles in the DS and one in the PSP.

BTW you can read the scan with the interview to Toriyama here - http://reminem.net/index.php?option=com_co...73&Itemid=2

I'm not looking forward to this game at all, since i think the game went down hill big time after it left Nintendo and moved onto the playstation..

360 and Wii will never ever get it (DVD9 is holding them back) sure you can span it over multiple disks, but it will be quite a few if Square-Enix take full advantage of Blu-Ray (which they will) so I'd say FFXIII will remain exclusive to the PS3. I think this more refers to spin off games based on FFXIII. To a PC version, that is more possible as it might only be spanned over a few DVDs as the game will be installed to the HDD (but expect it to be huge!) DS is extremely likely to get a spin off of FFXIII I'd say. That is my 2 cents.

360 and Wii will never ever get it (DVD9 is holding them back) sure you can span it over multiple disks, but it will be quite a few if Square-Enix take full advantage of Blu-Ray (which they will) so I'd say FFXIII will remain exclusive to the PS3.

Well probably 3 or 4.

Though who'd be upset if Square finally left the FMV crutch behind and went all realtime? I mean really PS3 and 360 are capable of so much in realtime it just seems needless.

Well probably 3 or 4.

Though who'd be upset if Square finally left the FMV crutch behind and went all realtime? I mean really PS3 and 360 are capable of so much in realtime it just seems needless.

on the ps3 and 360, i prefer realtime to FMV. FMVs were nice back in the days of the psx but we don't need them anymore

There still a big differences between real time and FMV, I don't know about you guys but I can see it. I cannot imagine a FF game without FMV.

I will choose FMV over ingame graphics anytime.

Especially when you read about a game like Too Human, or look at the Half Life series. Having the 'cut-scenes' seamlessly integrate with the gameplay making the whole thing that much better. You can't do that with FMV no matter how well you are able to cut between it and realtime there will always be that line, and sometimes it can even be a jarring experience pulling you out of it.

There still a big differences between real time and FMV, I don't know about you guys but I can see it. I cannot imagine a FF game without FMV.

I will choose FMV over ingame graphics anytime.

Oh I can see the difference too. There's no doubt a renderfarm still outdoes a realtime piece of hardware. But I still think the merits of realtime outweigh the better visuals these days, I think FF would benefit more from the seamless transitions even more than the other two games I mentioned.