VLC vs GOM vs MPC

VLC vs GOM vs MPC  

291 members have voted

1. 1. What media player for videos?

• VLC media player
    • GOM Player
    • Media Player Clasic

I love VLC. I am currently messing around with GOM, but it doesn't seem to like my system. Whether I use internal or external filters, my movies seem to play at a lower framerate with minor tearing during scenes with lots of action. I also have the K-Lite Mega Codec Pack with MPC installed.

Thanks [deXter] for giving some good points. Feel free to give us some points on KMplayer and MPlayer as you said they are not in this poll, sorry about that I should of made more options I was just going with the ones I hear most talked about but the others should have a chance too. So feel free to give us some info!

mpc

simple, small (only an exe file), portable, looks normal (wmp looks **** to me), subtitle support, etc...

but i never tried the others.

mpc for me. reasons:

-small

-just an exe file, no installation required

-fast

-portable

vlc was always slow for me for some reason, and i've never tried gomplayer.

• 3 weeks later...

Out of the three in the poll, I vote for MPC combined with a lightweight codec pack.

Gom player has a nice clean interface. Seems very ergonomic to me. Plus it is the best for previewing broken files.

Big problem with Gom is it's internal splitters. They still need a lot of work. And since Gom doesn't allow the use of external splitters, this results in reduced frame rate when playing some mkv, or mp4 files... I even had a problem playing an xvid file with AC3 audio. So I wouldn't recommend Gom.

VLC is great. UI is it's weak point. One thing that bothers me is that I can't get it to remember the volume level. If you close it and restart it, the volume returns to its default setting (which of course you can set to whatever you like) This is very annoying. Another thing that bothers is that it not that easy to setup subtitles to display the way you want them. It takes some time to figure out.

After using all of them, my player of choice is KMPlayer. It is the most fully featured of them all. Setting it up is a bit intimidating at first. Once you set up a few things though, you can forget about it. It plays everything you through at it. It is a decent DVD player, not the best but decent anyway. I haven't experienced bad frame rate at all. It's a great all-rounder.

Second player of choice is MPC. When you want simplicity and power MPC+ffdshow (or a lightweight codec pack) is the best.

• 3 weeks later...

What is the best method for playing DVDs on KMPlayer. Everytime I play a DVD or load one on it, Aero goes bye bye and crappy looking basic comes. What is also the best Hardware Acceleration to go along with that? I feel GOM is already (and strangely) slow when I play 720p when even Quicktime does better and I have VUZE running in the backround as well. I have tried MPC before but the plain design and the options were kinda limiting. VLC just looked as in the screenshots on the first page of this topic and apparently I find what dexter said earlier to be the reasons why i switched. I also decided to switch from that due to lack of fullscreen controls. I like KMplayer but I just wanna be sure these minor things can be worked out. Is OpenGL better than VMR9 or which is the most preferrable for my 7600GT for the least CPU cycles and more performance?