Ubuntu 7.04 Install

I am thinking that there is a low-probability chance you have a media plus drive issue, where that burn doesn't read well in that particular CD.

The alternative is that you have some BIOS setting, or other odd hardware configuration that is giving the installer the fits.

I have just redownloaded Ubuntu 7.04 and burned to Verbatim CD using 4X speed. Didn't work...

Tried Slackware 10.2 CDs and it worked just perfect...

Maybe I should try to reset my BIOS?..

Now I am going to download Ubuntu 6.10 which as I remember is using 2.4 kernel, maybe older version will work. Or maybe there are other way how I could install it?..

Plan:

1) Try ubuntu 6.10

2) Try to reset BIOS

3) Try other Linux distro with the same kernel if the problem is with kernel. (SuSE would be next try I think...)

But still I would like to have Ubuntu...

Now I am going to download Ubuntu 6.10 which as I remember is using 2.4 kernel, maybe older version will work. Or maybe there are other way how I could install it?..
6.10 has 2.6.18 kernel. If it works you can try dist-upgrade to 7.04

Or something you can try is passing noapic or noacpi parameter at boot time and see if that helps though I doubt it will.

BIOS reset didn't help. Ubuntu 6.06 doesn't work. After kernel uncompress I have the same problem again. :(

Any other ideas?..

I will try to download SuSE Live DVD a bit later after I get 4Mbps upgrade.

/me is going to be sad for a long time... :(

I will try to download SuSE Live DVD a bit later after I get 4Mbps upgrade.

:) :) :) :) . i am opensuse user, so i hope it works.

*hope i didnt sound like troll and get some 3 day banned warning or something.

Just one question, which kernel version does openSuSE use?.. (10.2 version I think). And install DVD and Live DVD is different things?.. If I want to install I need to download and install disc or I can do it from the Live DVD?..

I will try to do it coming morning... (11:33 pm.)

Edit

I still tried it now... :)

After main menu loaded I pressed F6 key and wrote "noapic nolapic" (I think I wrote it incorrectly) and after I pressed it went straight to load Windows.

After that I remembered one more command "Live", so this time I pressed F6 and wrote it. I got a lot of text going, I noticed that it checks my hardware and BUM. It stops and "_" symbol blinking at the bottom of the screen. One line upper I see: "SMP motherboard not detected."

Any suggestions now?.. :)

Edit2

Trying to google something...

[17179571.188000] ACPI: setting ELCR to 0800 (from 1e00)

[17179571.252000] CPU0: AMD Athlon Processor stepping 02

[17179571.252000] SMP motherboard not detected.

[17179571.252000] Local APIC not detected. Using dummy APIC emulation.

[17179571.252000] Brought up 1 CPUs

[17179571.256000] NET: Registered protocol family 16

[17179571.256000] EISA bus registered

[17179571.256000] ACPI: bus type pci registered

So after SMP mother, should go something related with APIC?..

Edited by david13lt

I played more with Ubuntu 6.06 and 7.04 LiveCDs and noapic and nolapic parameters. And no good results... :(

Ubuntu 6.06 after typing Live is booting Windows? And the same with Ubuntu 7.04 if I am using "live noapic nolapic" (I even don't know that noapic does...)

Maybe I will add one more video that it would be a bit easier to understand... :) But it will come after few hours...

Hm... I think there could be some kind of bug maybe?.. I saw a few messages in Ubuntu forum with the same problem and machines are completely different.

Edited by david13lt

OK, try passing "live BOOT_DEBUG=1"

It should give you more details. You also press ctrl+alt+F4 and try virtual terminal 4 to see if there's any clue there, also.

*hope i didnt sound like troll and get some 3 day banned warning or something.

Nope..... we apprecate your input. :yes:

OK, try passing "live BOOT_DEBUG=1"

It should give you more details. You also press ctrl+alt+F4 and try virtual terminal 4 to see if there's any clue there, also.

I am getting the same result... (I mean nothing new, that could help determine the problem) Ctrl+Alt+F4 doesn't work.

I have just tested it on Virtual PC 2007:

SMP motherboard not detected.

Local APIC not detected. Using dummy APIC emulation.

Brought up 1 CPUs

... ...

Starts perfectly...

So, more or less chances are of some hardware conflits from what I can guess. Did you try ctrl+alt+F4 in virtual machine? I don't think it will work in virtual machine. Or maybe it's different virtual terminal. I don't have feisty CD to check, I checked from 5.10.

Also check ctrl+alt+Fn, where n is from 1 to 12.

Looks like the problem is a common problem. the error is couple of lines up. The one with dsdt. Many people seem to be complaining of it.

One suggestion is try installing it with the alternate install CD. Still if needed do file the bug.

I reported is as a bug. I downloaded openSuSE it worked perfectly, but I didn't like it as much as Ubuntu. Maybe I should play a bit more with it.