Are Batteries AC or DC

mentalindustries

As the topic

Are batteries such as AA and AAA AC or DC power?

Thanks

MarkusDarkus

DC

exit
As the topic

Are batteries such as AA and AAA AC or DC power?

Thanks

I dont know of any batterys that are AC and all batterys are DC

Stetson

They are DC. AC power cannot be stored in the same way.

P!P

DC. DC is actually the "better" way for power. Edison wanted everything to be DC. The other reason everything isn't DC is because it's hard to send DC power long distances. So we're stuck with these bulky, boxy AC to DC converters ;)

mentalindustries

Cool thanks for the super speedy relies

Diffused Mind
it's hard to send DC power long distances.

Then why are long haul power lines DC?

noroom
Then why are long haul power lines DC?

Source?

gdodson

DC is used for longer distances in the form of HVDC and AC is used for shorter distances. The main reason HVDC isn't used for all transmission is that over a shorter distance, the cost of the inverters is still greater than the cost of the power lost through AC transmission.

noroom
"AC systems overcame the limitations of the direct current system used by Thomas Edison to distribute electricity efficiently over long distances."

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alternating_current

No, I was asking for the source to the following statement: "Long Haul Power lines are DC", made by Diffused Mind.

P!P
No, I was asking for the source to the following statement: "Long Haul Power lines are DC", made by Diffused Mind.

Oops, sorry. Well, there's my source. lol.

Nicholas-c

DC because electrons only move one way + and - however in AC the live pin switches on and off as does the other one :p

SimGuy

I know for a fact that in Quebec, their power transmission grid utilizes DC. So it is very possible to transmit electricity by way of DC instead of AC. :)

Just that AC has usually been the defacto standard for power transmission & distribution grids.

Edrick Smith

Supposedly back when he was trying to prove his point he would take a animal and shock it with DC and then AC to show the difference. Don't remember where I heard that from quite possible it's just a rumour.

[bear]

The problem with DC is that it is difficult to change voltages to suit the needs of everything in a house without losing efficency. If we went with DC every house would have a huge generator outside and it would be very inefficent. Thankfully tesla got his way. Hooray for electrical engineers. I'm studying to get my degree in electrical engineering right now. :-D