Wide Angle Zoom Lens?

I'm about to purchase one, mainly for landscapes, buildings etc and have come across this:

http://sigmaphoto.com/lenses/lenses_all_de...amp;navigator=1

It's pretty much at the top of my budget and seems like the best one i can get at that price. Could anyone recommend it or any other brands etc for a similar price?

Thanks

I'm still very new to photography, but from what I've heard Sigma is an excellent third party brand. As far as how good that lens is for what you're doing, I would also suggest dpreview.com as well.

check out the Sigma 10-20 as well; I have it and the quality is absolutely superb. The price is also lower; but don't let that fool you into thinking it's a lower quality.

Oh i didnt see the Sigma 10-20. Is that a new model then? Do you have any example shots you could show me peterish? that you've taken :)

For a canon camera by the way

Also something which concerns me is vingnetting on my Canon 350D. Will this occur with the 10-20mm lens? Not sure about my sensor siz, sigma say: Vignetting will occur if the lens is used with digital cameras with image sensors larger than APS-C size or 35mm SLR cameras.

Edited by saxondale.

Oh i didnt see the Sigma 10-20. Is that a new model then? Do you have any example shots you could show me peterish? that you've taken :)

Also something which concerns me is vingnetting on my Canon 350D. Will this occur with the 10-20mm lens? Not sure about my sensor siz, sigma say: Vignetting will occur if the lens is used with digital cameras with image sensors larger than APS-C size or 35mm SLR cameras.

Full-frame sensors would experience it, 350D would definately not, it's an APS-C size.

10-20mm Sigma would not give you an actual 10-20mm focal length, as the sensor crop magnifies it by 1.6?

It might not be 1.6, I can't remember! but I'm sure it's that or something similar.

It is x1.6.

You should look at the Tamron 12-24 i think it is, it's better built and out performs the Sigma. Although both are brilliant.

I'd love either.

I have a Tokina 12-24 and couldn't praise it enough either. But if he's after as wide as he can get, 10-20 would be the best as performance wise (in comparison to costs) it's brilliant value.

Everything in THIS GALLERY was shot with the Sigma 10-20mm;

plus the first 14 shots in THIS GALLERY.

They have been post-processed obviously, but the sharpness should be apparent. And no, there is no abberation on digital units.

Also, I have the Nikon version of the Sigma 10-20mm; but as far as I'm aware the performance of the Canon version is identical.

When you're done with my samples, please check out these other shots (not taken by me!)

Sigma for Canon - samples

Sigma for Nikon - Samples

Edited by peterish

Thanks for that peterish. In your opinion, is the 10-20mm too much for a wide angle? i mean, will it distract the viewer away from the actual image. I want it to be noticable that it was taken with a wide angle, which it will be, but i dont want it to be an over kill of wide angleness :s if you get me

hmm I haven't noticed the overkill that you mentioned. As a matter of fact I find the 10mm to be very necessary a lot of times. Most of the shots in the gallery I sent you were taken at the 10mm end; when you look at them do you think the wideness is distracting?

In my opinion there won't be a problem with overkill. But IF there is, then just use the 20mm end...

I think your images are great, but from the looks of it, definitely better than me, so hopefully the lens wont be too much for me. I was also looking at the Canon EF-S 10-22mm. Depending on how much i get paid on friday, i might be able to afford this...Anyone have opinions on that?

http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/controll...p;modelid=10510

The sigma 10-20 has better review compared to the canon if you have a look at miranda's website. The price difference is huge and the sigma is very well build!

The best lens imo is the nikkor 12-24 f/4 but this is the most expensive from them all. At that price, many nikonians buys the sigma or tokina.

At the end, the tokina still has my first choice, then sigma, and then the canon for canon users.

ps.: dont forget that tokina had a constant f/4. And the quality build is awesome just as the others

I looked a bit more into the Sigma 10-20 and found it suffered from quite a bit of barrel distortion and comparing sample images and comparisons between the Canon and Sigma, the Canon came out a lot sharper.

I have purchased the Canon since i got it ?140 cheaper than retail.

Thanks guys

lenses are freaking expensive. i was looking into a zoom type of lens they are more expensive than my camera (d40)

have fun with your new lens though :D

oh and...

your photos are awesome. i cant wait to see pictures with your new lens

Thanks :) try and go for 3rd party lenses. Check out Sigma, very good brand despite the poor history of quality control, but this is why we have lovely warranties.