Interview with Citibank!

In case some of you don't know, a pretty premiere worldwide banking institution :). And after a few rounds of online personality/math tests, I was just called today for an interview at a branch nearby. I'm so excited, basically because this is my first interview and because I wanted so badly to get into a banking position, even if it's just for teller. I wanted to get into a bank no matter what! So this interview at Citibank is awesome.

Anyhow, my interview is Thursday, as I mentioned, for a position as teller. I guess it helped I have accounting/administrative background on my resum?, I worked as a manager at a family member's business for a while and I did a lot of administrative and accounting work. I even clarified on the phone (although it is on my resume) about me being a high school student right now and not having the most flexible hours although I'm willing to work all the hours I can and she said it was fine!

I'm really really excited. And as my first interview, do you guys have any suggestions/etc? What I'm mostly not sure about is what to wear; suit or just social ? I think going in a nice suit will make a good impression, but maybe a bit over the top? Perhaps just slacks and a nice dress shirt. Anybody else ever been interviewed at Citibank or banks in general, know what questions they ask?

I'll just be myself and be natural. I'm sure I'm qualified for the job but getting the call was AWESOME. I can't wait:DD

Congrats.

I worked for Citibank for a full 2 hours before I left. (I had two job offers -- I was guaging which one was better).

Suit / formal wear should be fine especialy since this is a customer facing job.

Don't know what questions are asked for Teller positions. You should expect questions about your future plans (good answer would be that you like grow in the company -- not that I plan to start my own business etc.). Questions abouts your strenght/weekness. Questions that give them an indication whether you are a team player etc.

Congrats.

I worked for Citibank for a full 2 hours before I left. (I had two job offers -- I was guaging which one was better).

Suit / formal wear should be fine especialy since this is a customer facing job.

Don't know what questions are asked for Teller positions. You should expect questions about your future plans (good answer would be that you like grow in the company -- not that I plan to start my own business etc.). Questions abouts your strenght/weekness. Questions that give them an indication whether you are a team player etc.

Hey thanks bro :) Really appreciate it. What position were you gonna work there as? And why did you leave? I am actually very interested in growing in the company, I want to do investment banking as a career and I see SmithBarney (Citigroup's investment bank) as a great place to grow. What I'm debating over on wearing is suit or just formal dressing? As in, would it be better to just use khaki slacks and a social shirt, or a suit? I don't know if the suit would be overdressing.

Ive been a teller for 5 years now and I can tell you its not much fun. Granted I work for a small ma'n pop bank and you might be working for a large one, it still sucks, unless you REALLY like banking and economics. Prepare for senior citizens constantly bombarding you with queries regarding the latest state quarter, how much they will make with x interest rate, and what the difference between I and EE bonds are (only to find they dont want one). Then there are the dumbass lazy bums who cant read a deposit slip so you have to fill it out, and even those who thinks it is ridiculous a form even needs to be filled out. Some customers walk up to me and say 'I want some money out of my account, heres my number'. And then there are the irate people who bitch and moan about the tiniest fee or inconvenience to them. And they do ignorantly take it out on you because you are the front line. Tellers are the bottom of the barrel in financing and banking; they are given no respect. At least, thats my experience. Good Luck.

Hey thanks bro :) Really appreciate it. What position were you gonna work there as? And why did you leave? I am actually very interested in growing in the company, I want to do investment banking as a career and I see SmithBarney (Citigroup's investment bank) as a great place to grow. What I'm debating over on wearing is suit or just formal dressing? As in, would it be better to just use khaki slacks and a social shirt, or a suit? I don't know if the suit would be overdressing.

I work for JPMorgan Chase Bank, and when i interviewed I wore a dress shirt (Chase Blue) a silver tie and black dress pants. I pretty much wore the brand of the company when i interviewed. they liked that. and apparently it worked, cuz i got the job.

but yeah, dress up shirt and tie for your interview. you cant go wrong.

beanman: I take it that being a teller might have its difficulties and thanks for the heads up; I just want a position in banking so bad that starting as a teller for me is fine. I guess I really like banking and economics, it's an opportunity to grow in the business.

Vafer1: Awesome that you got the job. what do you do at JPM Chase? Anyhow, I guess for Citi I'll do a light blue shirt, red tie, and what do you guys reckon for the pants ? Back or khaki?

Can't wait for the interview :)

Great! So black pants, light blue shirt and a nice red tie. I feel pumped. Anybody else got their own little word to put it? I so can't wait for Thursday :D

beanman: I take it that being a teller might have its difficulties and thanks for the heads up; I just want a position in banking so bad that starting as a teller for me is fine. I guess I really like banking and economics, it's an opportunity to grow in the business.

Vafer1: Awesome that you got the job. what do you do at JPM Chase? Anyhow, I guess for Citi I'll do a light blue shirt, red tie, and what do you guys reckon for the pants ? Back or khaki?

Can't wait for the interview :)

I'm the ATM Teller as well as the Premier Accounts Teller. I work out in Scottsdale Arizona, so we have a lot of wealthy clients at my branch.

I would definitely wear a suit to any job interview, but maybe that's just me (I like wearing a suit!) ;)

IMHO there's no such thing as overdressing for an interview since you can always dress down if you do feel out-of-place but it's much trickier to dress up if you look too casual. But anything smart should do just fine.

And finally, good luck! :)

• 4 years later...

In case some of you don't know, a pretty premiere worldwide banking institution :). And after a few rounds of online personality/math tests, I was just called today for an interview at a branch nearby. I'm so excited, basically because this is my first interview and because I wanted so badly to get into a banking position, even if it's just for teller. I wanted to get into a bank no matter what! So this interview at Citibank is awesome.

Anyhow, my interview is Thursday, as I mentioned, for a position as teller. I guess it helped I have accounting/administrative background on my resum?, I worked as a manager at a family member's business for a while and I did a lot of administrative and accounting work. I even clarified on the phone (although it is on my resume) about me being a high school student right now and not having the most flexible hours although I'm willing to work all the hours I can and she said it was fine!

I'm really really excited. And as my first interview, do you guys have any suggestions/etc? What I'm mostly not sure about is what to wear; suit or just social ? I think going in a nice suit will make a good impression, but maybe a bit over the top? Perhaps just slacks and a nice dress shirt. Anybody else ever been interviewed at Citibank or banks in general, know what questions they ask?

I'll just be myself and be natural. I'm sure I'm qualified for the job but getting the call was AWESOME. I can't wait:DD

When I was a freshman in college, I interviewed and got a teller position at a major national bank.

I literally had the job in hand until I let slip that I was only in town for the summer break and then I was heading back to college and they withdrew their offer. Apparently there is a lengthy training period as a teller--took about 2 months at this bank.

They asked me basic, typical meaningless BS questions like: "Name a time that you had to overcome a barrier." "Describe a time that you had to work with a difficult co-worker." etc etc.

Edit: D'oh! Didn't realize this was from so long ago.

• 2 weeks later...