Teen labeled child Molester after orgy

US teen sex sentence overturned

Mr Wilson will no longer be required to register as a sex offender

A US judge in Georgia has overturned a ruling in which a 17-year-old man was imprisoned for 10 years for having consensual oral sex with a teenager.

Genarlow Wilson, now 21, was jailed in 2005 for aggravated child molestation after he was videotaped engaging in the act with a 15-year-old girl.

The judge amended Mr Wilson's felony sentence to 12 months for misdemeanour.

The ruling has not led to his release, however, as Georgia's attorney-general has said he will be filing an appeal.

The case has provoked controversy in the US with high profile figures, such as former President Jimmy Carter, supporting the release of Mr Wilson.

'Miscarriage of justice'

Mr Wilson, a former high school honours student and star athlete, was found guilty by a jury of aggravated child molestation for having oral sex with a 15-year-old girl at a New Year's Eve party in 2003.

At the time the crime carried a mandatory minimum sentence of 10 years and a lifetime registration on the state's sexual offender list.

Under Georgia law, if Mr Wilson had engaged in sexual intercourse with the girl he would have only been charged with a misdemeanour and would have received a much lighter sentence.

In his ruling on Monday, Superior Court Judge Thomas Wilson ordered Mr Wilson's release and said he would not be required to register as a sex offender.

"If any case fits into the definitive limits of a miscarriage of justice, surely this case does," he said.

"The fact that Genarlow Wilson has spent two years in prison for what is now classified as a misdemeanour, and without assistance from this court will spend eight more years in prison, is a grave miscarriage of justice."

However, Attorney-General Thurbert Baker said he would file an appeal against the ruling, stating that Georgia law did not give a judge authority to reduce or modify the sentence imposed by a trial court.

Mr Wilson's lawyer, BJ Bernstein, said: "It is extremely, extremely disturbing that the attorney general would take this action now."

"In essence, the attorney general is saying, 'Keep Genarlow Wilson in prison for 10 years and keep him on the sex offender registry'," she added.

She is planning to apply for a bond to release Mr Wilson while the appeal is pending.

But a public affairs officer for the state department of corrections said Mr Wilson could not be released until they received guidance from the state attorney general's office or from the court that originally sentenced him.

Source

So, looks like he could be free soon, aside from Georgia's Attorney General planning to appeal...

This is Georgia...

Black kid gets head off a 15 year old white girl in the deep south he was lucky he wasnt linched...

White man gets head off 15 year old in the deep south ... she calls him "father". he smackes her and throws her out of the trailor for more beer

This is just another case of white justice vs. black guy.

Thankfully the article above only has one line about that.

Its true though. If it had been a white person, would it have been an issue?

Well that was my conclusion too but I didn't want to bring that up.

It is true though.

I dont know why he just didnt tell the truth though. I mean its obvious he was trying to push her head off him with his hips and whilst doing so, a part of his body accidently entered her mouth at a consideral pace as to make him aroused. The more he tried to push her away, the more she forced him.

I have watched way to much Little Britain! :laugh:

This is Georgia...

Black kid gets head off a 15 year old white girl in the deep south he was lucky he wasnt linched...

White man gets head off 15 year old in the deep south ... she calls him "father". he smackes her and throws her out of the trailor for more beer

Quite true and sad.

This is Georgia...

Quite true and sad.

Oh jeesh, guys no it is not. What we have here is an over zealous Prosecutor, the majority of the people here are happy the kid is getting out. Practically nobody, except for the prosecutor, wants this kid behind bars. What a ridiculously uninformed opinion you guys have of Georgia.

Oh jeesh, guys no it is not. What we have here is an over zealous Prosecutor, the majority of the people here are happy the kid is getting out. Practically nobody, except for the prosecutor, wants this kid behind bars. What a ridiculously uninformed opinion you guys have of Georgia.

Aaron, no I was talking about Mississippi. I actually like Georgia, it's very pretty there. I'm sorry I should have explained my self.