ZDnet - Apple

... MS needed - badly - to redo Windows from the ground up. New code, a fresh prespective, similar to the OS9 - OS X transition. Let XP sit as it is, and roll out something brand new in time to really stun the competition. Offer a "classic" backward compatibility mode, offer incentives to businesses to upgrade, healthy discounts encouraging them to gradually replace software. Turn the example of the Mac OS9 - OS X transition into something truly macrocosmic and workable. Do some marketing around it and get people excited.

And now, Vienna is a long, long way off.

But anyway, I'm off on one of my rants that made me forget about Vista (especially after realizing this aint no Longhorn!) and switch back to Mac. Best computing decision ever.

Wait...you mean like when Apple bought Nextstep, glommed on the work of some opensource code, and wrapped it all up in a cute candy shell?

Please.

I dislike Vista as much as the next person, not so much for what it is, but what it could have been, but to sit and chirp about the OS9-OSX transition like it was some gift from the gods...ahem...no. OS X was initially a hodgepodge, barely functional mess. It's taken several paid 'service packs' to get it to the usable and respectable state that it is in today.

Title should really be "Sun's new kick-butt file system in Apple's Leopard"

Yea that's what I thought when I read the topic. :blink: And ZFS is not WinFS, heck WinFS (the concept of course :p) can sit on top of ZFS or whatever xyzFS.

Add a disk drive to ZFS and it simply joins the pool of blocks available for storage. You don?t have to manage another disk.

Hello Windows Home Server Drive Extender. Although knowing how badly Microsoft has screwed up shadow copy in Vista, I would reserve my opinion until I actually use it:p:p

WinFX is .NET 3.0, which is included in Vista ;) WinFS is what Microsoft decided to drop. WinFS wasn't a filesystem either, it was a data storage and management system based on relational databases. NTFS was always planned as the default filesystem in Vista, not WinFS because it isn't a filesystem.

I like ZFS, but I thought this was just a rumor, Apple hasn't confirmed that they are switching to ZFS have they?

Well, they added support for it, no idea if it will be the default (they have a nice case sensitive version of HFS+ they can't use as default, as too many programs would stop working on it, which is a shame)

And yeah, it can be added transparently via a file system plugin, it's how FAT is currently handled (and fuse+ntfs-3g and such).

I'd like to use ZFS myself, some of it's management features are great :yes:

Not true....

if you are a construction engineer, would you want to use steel/iron/cement to build up a 100 storey building(thousands of people reside) or use wood/plastic*preferably WHITE* to build a small house that only 10 people use?

But making a great looking wood/plastic house is not a bad idea...sametime if you choose the construction of a 100storey building with (steel/iron/cement) than thats a good idea, because you can show who you are..& it reaches a better lot of audience.

Steel/iron/cement -> Windows (but remember steel/iron too wornout due to rust)

wood/plastic-> Mac (wood/plastic building doesnt fit for large audience) :rolleyes:

I was actually having a discussion with my computer science teacher about this. Microsoft was quite innovative in the beginning. They listened to the far-fetched ideas and they were often implemented and it created a great OS (I loved windows 3.1). Lately, though, business has taken over. Now, if something is too expensive to implement, it is often cast aside for something that is not quite as good but makes them more money. This happens with every company (most notably, the once huge IBM). It always causes the downfall (once again, see IBM). Business works like that. They go in cycles. Its perfectly normal that Windows is not as innovative as before.

Not true....

if you are a construction engineer, would you want to use steel/iron/cement to build up a 100 storey building(thousands of people reside) or use wood/plastic*preferably WHITE* to build a small house that only 10 people use?

But making a great looking wood/plastic house is not a bad idea...sametime if you choose the construction of a 100storey building with (steel/iron/cement) than thats a good idea, because you can show who you are..& it reaches a better lot of audience.

Steel/iron/cement -> Windows (but remember steel/iron too wornout due to rust)

wood/plastic-> Mac (wood/plastic building doesnt fit for large audience) :rolleyes:

This is related to the Zettabyte File System how?

I was actually having a discussion with my computer science teacher about this. Microsoft was quite innovative in the beginning. They listened to the far-fetched ideas and they were often implemented and it created a great OS (I loved windows 3.1). Lately, though, business has taken over. Now, if something is too expensive to implement, it is often cast aside for something that is not quite as good but makes them more money. This happens with every company (most notably, the once huge IBM). It always causes the downfall (once again, see IBM). Business works like that. They go in cycles. Its perfectly normal that Windows is not as innovative as before.

:yes:

This is related to the Zettabyte File System how?
Just as a note, that's what ZFS originally stood for, but now it is now pseudo-initialism, meaning that the initials don't stand for anything.

Just as a note, that's what ZFS originally stood for, but now it is now pseudo-initialism, meaning that the initials don't stand for anything.

Yeah I saw that on the Wiki. I just wanted to make an impact.

• 1 month later...

Yep

I'm dying to see Apples conference next week on the Leopard.

I wish Microsoft should take an example on this. I don't want to start a flame war, but how come Apple can do this over the period of 18 months and with Longhorn we were promised 'WinFX' - a new file system, which then became known as just an 'add-on' for NTFS. 5 years later, it doesn't exist.

NTFS is on par with ZFS. ZFS adds some nice features that NTFS doesn't have, like the way it creates/modifies partitions, but it doesn't have some of the user permission/quota features and transparent encryption that NTFS does. On the whole, ZFS inotb> better than NTFS. Microsoft doesn't need to completely rewrite the filesystem - NTFS is more than adequate (until our HDDs are over 16 Exabytes). NTFS was way ahead of its time when it was invented. For example, it had indexing and fast searching capabilities in 1999, but didn't have a GUI to implement it.

Unfortunately, filesystem upgrades do not usually receive a good amount of press (unless it deals with anything related to Apple).

Wikipedia on NTFS: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NTFS

Wikipedia on ZFS: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ZFS