Failed my driving test :(

I almost failed mine because the driving instructor told me I didn't use my parking brake.. so I told her I didn't know what or where the parking brake was. She told me she shouldn't even pass me for making that statement but she did anyway. :)

Are you serious?

btw, this is what happened to my friends car in that crash we were in (I talked about it few posts up)...

post-113818-1178896974_thumb.jpg

Poor Alfa 156 :( Such a nice car. Doesn't look as bad as I thought though, considering the guy went about 40mph into us. You can't really see it, but the wheel isn't meant to be like that... at all. I don't think this car is a write-off... the Ford Ka that hit us... well, that was done for lol.

Got my next driving test booked again next month... but I don't even want to drive anymore really, because I was involved in a pretty serious car accident on Tuesday (not me driving). Scared the ever living **** out of me, and it hurt. It's something you just can't explain unless you've experienced it. I saw the car speeding towards us and everything... it happened within seconds of me seeing it, obviously there was nothing I could do about it. Both cars are write-offs.. it was hard to watch my friends Alfa 156 be towed away... but cars can be replaced.

Everyone was OK apart from aching and bruising but it's really made me think about driving and the danger it can involve... you can be a perfect driver but with other people there's always the risk they'll run a red light or something (which is how the accident was caused).

I'll get over it though, at least everyone was OK. If it happened just half a second sooner it could have been fatal... :|

Edited by NegaC

Has anyone taking their driving test in Toronto at the Metro East location (The Victoria Terrace Plaza on Lawrence Ave East). If so what is the route like (and where do they take you for the parking section of the test)? I am very nervous, and feel like knowing the route would help me out a bit. Thanks in advance, any help is greatly appreciated.

My friend was going for his driving test to get his G2.

He did fine, and the instructor informed him he'd passed, just do this left turn back into the testing center.

Its a bit weird of an intersection, and he didn't notice a truck coming, and smucked right into it. Instructor decided not to pass him after that. Wonder why :p

yeah, i passed my driver's test (US) first try. it's really easy, so long as you practice parallel parking a few times beforehand.

my test was in an enclosed course, so i didn't have to deal with other traffic. seems impractical, really.

Did my first driving test (UK) today, was very nervous, so nervous I forgot to turn the ignition on to check the headlights lol! My legs were shaking I was so nervous, I was actually laughing at myself.

Sadly for me, I failed, with 4 minors and 1 serious, which was when I pulled over to let a bus through, I apparently got too close to the parked car in front of me. Damn! Pretty pleased with only 4 minors though, one of which was for a silly bay parking mistake which I never do usually. My instructor said the examiner I had was a bit notorious as being one of the worst ones, apparently likes to pass all the girls. :rolleyes:

Other than that, I thought it was a pretty good drive, especially considering that was the first time I've driven without my instructor with me, telling me what to do some of the time, and I was driving on different roads. I'm actually not as annoyed as I thought I would be if I failed. If I fail next time, then I'll be angry lol. Not happy about paying ?90 a time!

Any driving test stories/experiences/tips?

it doesn't get easier man! i was so nervous on my first test, i forgot to change gears when doing a 3-point turn! LOL...

the best thing to do is keep driving with random people.. I have my full licence now, my last test lasted 45 minutes, and i wasn't nervous.

even driving with friends, i can't park like i do by myself.. and if people are watching me, or in my car, i dont drive like i normally do.. like i miss turns and stuff lol..

anyways.. keep practicing, and try to get more road time

Has anyone taking their driving test in Toronto at the Metro East location (The Victoria Terrace Plaza on Lawrence Ave East). If so what is the route like (and where do they take you for the parking section of the test)? I am very nervous, and feel like knowing the route would help me out a bit. Thanks in advance, any help is greatly appreciated.

I don't know if it's a bit too late, but here's the information. Hope this will help any fellow Torontonians going to that test centre.

There's a few routes they may take you to. My teacher went through like 8 possibilities. The first 5 have you exit onto Lawrence Ave E (westbound direction, towards the railway overpass). You have a chance of entering either Curlew Dr. (the first road on the right) or Underhill Dr. (the second). There are four different routes for Curlew Dr. Be careful with one of them, as you may turn into a small gate with a STOP sign right in front of you. Routes 6 to 8 exit towards Victoria Park and head south.

On my first test I went on Underhill Dr. It's a school zone so go at 40 and don't be the idiot like I was and think it's 50 unless posted. I turned into Doonaree Dr. (second road on the left), turned right into Redwillow Dr., did a three point turn, and went in reverse back to the test centre. It was at the intersection of Doonaree and Underhill that I screwed up by peeking a bit to my left to check for oncoming traffic when there were kids still crossing the road.

The second test I went into Curlew, and turned left into Rialto Dr. From there I forgot where I went, but for that route I may have done a three point turn, and definitely an up/downhill parking.

i thought i'd pass the test easily.

i had pretty much learned how to drive playing Cruis'n USA in arcades.

we started the test, and immediately i failed.

why?

the instructor said i went through a stop sign. i never saw a stop sign. i dont think anyone could see it. it was hidden in tree limbs. i looked behind the car, and could barely see the back of a sign partially exposed through some tree limbs and leaves.

that was a lawsuit in the waiting for the city. the instructor knew about it though. he knew the area. he didnt warn me, and he obviously didnt warn the city.

he was an ######.

Driving games didn't help me at all. Maybe it was because I was driving with the keyboard. :D

That sucks. Instructors like those are just in it for the cash.

Edited by rm20010

the instructor said i went through a stop sign. i never saw a stop sign. i dont think anyone could see it. it was hidden in tree limbs. i looked behind the car, and could barely see the back of a sign partially exposed through some tree limbs and leaves.

Well, I don't know about other countries, but in Australia, where there's a Stop or Give Way sign, the road has visibly marked lines. So even if the signs are physically removed, you are still expected to stop or give way, depending on the line. Having signs hidden or removed is very dangerous at night though, because you generally don't see the lines until it's too late, whereas the signs would glow from blocks away. This posed an almost dangerous situation for me once when a sign was hidden behind a tree in a dark street. Luckily there were no other cars around!

Failed my test today :( Got 2 majors and 12 minors.

Got the 2 majors in 2 seconds, he said 3rd exit, i was going down the 2nd exit, panicked, cross the line (1 major) and i didn't signal (1 Major), really annoyed :(

• 5 months later...

Whoa, I had no idea this many people had difficulty passing a road test. I think being nervous is what makes you fail. My best advice is to relax and not think of it as a test. Instead, think of it as a demonstration. That's what I did and it helped me pass with flying colours -- not a single minor/major. The driving instructor was pretty surprised too.

^ yeah being nervous is the biggest enemy, and lack of experiance. however the problem is that once you fail it on the second try it seems even harder. but if you arent nervous everything should go smoothly.

Don't feel bad, I failed my military driving test 3 times when I was in the military and stationed over in Germany. Stupid instructor was practically riding up all our collective arses the entire time lol.

No worries. They're there to make money, because they fail you so easily for the most ridiculous things.

I had this English lady the first time and she was a real *&!^# and failed me for the most stupid reasons. I failed twice; got it my 3rd time.

- Exagerate your blind spot checks; I got accused of "not doing blind spot checks" cause I didn't turn my head like a giraffe, when I could clearly see out of them.

- Stay the speed limit!

- Check your mirrors alot!

- Don't get nervous, I know it's natural but at the same time it's nothing to get really nervous about.

Just go back and better luck next time ;)

In the states at age 15 we are allowed to get our permit. Well, when I was 14 I got in a car reck and was scared to drive until I had to get to college. So when I turned 18 I went to get my license and I failed the 1st time by 3 points. The examiner there said If I practiced for another week I could pass no problem. But time didn't allow me too so I had to go in the next day. I waited in line(sat down and waited for an opening) for 8 hours to take my 2nd test. I passed it with flying colors.

To me this just proves I was a nervous reck, hehehe :)

I thought it was a pretty good drive, especially considering that was the first time I've driven without my instructor with me, telling me what to do some of the time, and I was driving on different roads

I'll give you one tip here - Don't be scared.

You said it's your first time driving without the instructor telling you what to do, and it was on different road's.... Well, don't be scared, because there will come a time when no one will be there for you, telling you what to do and you will be driving unfamiliar road's.

I passed first time with only 2 minors (Both for steering ?!?!?!), but I tried not to be scared, and it worked.

I passed my G1 written test so I could drive with a parent, passed the roadtest to exit G1 and attain my G2 then never had to write the G2 exit into a full G because I moved to Manitoba and they converted it to a full class 5 for me :)

When I was doing my class 7 test I was pretty nervous...and failed because of "not shoulder checking." Apparently, if your head doesn't turn more than 90 degrees; it's not a shoulder check. When I did it the second time, the instructor said the other person that tested me was a bitch and almost nobody passed until the 2nd/3rd time with her; and that he saw no reason for failing me (especially considering I was driving for 2 years before taking the test!). Overall, it really depends on the person who tests you (at least here).

I passed my driving test down here on the second go which i don't think is too bad. What screwed me up is i went for a driving lesson before the test in the driving instructors car (Not the car i was doing the test in). So when i got in the car to do the test i got really confused, mostly because the car i did the test in was an import so the headlights and everything was on the opposite sides of the wheel and i messed up the friction points and such too.

I went back the second time after going for a bit of a drive in the car i did the actual test in and did flawlessly. Not that i had to do much on the second go. During my first run i had to do everything, three point turns, reverse parking, handbrake start etc etc. Then on the second go all i had to do is drive round the block and do a reverse park on a deserted road and park behind some park dump truck. I pin it down to the examiner wanting to get back for lunch since my second exam i did right before 12pm.

I passed my G1 written test so I could drive with a parent, passed the roadtest to exit G1 and attain my G2 then never had to write the G2 exit into a full G because I moved to Manitoba and they converted it to a full class 5 for me :)

I passed my G1 exit test this morning for the second time.

I originally passed it in 2000 but I never bothered taking the G2 exit test (I moved to a different city and was busy with other things), which caused my license to expire in 2005.

I took the G1 written test again last week, and the road test was this morning (you don't have to wait 8 months if you were licensed 3 years ago or less).

The G1 road test in Ontario is quite easy. Back out of your parking spot, parallel park, 3-point turn, make a few left and right turns... that's pretty much it.

I never took a driving test. All we had to do was have a certain amount of hours driving with an instructor, a certain amount of hours observing, and pass a written test. That's it. Easy as hell. I can't even imagine how stressful it must be to have an actual driving test.