Constant rundll32.exe error in Vista!

Hey guys,

new to this forum, i have recently installed Vista Home Premium onto my machine, and now that ive had it for a few days ive started to play around with it, and get into my normal tasks i did before. Although now when it comes to mammoth task of backin up my dvds etc i use alot of programmes.

Now i have noticed when i have used...AutoGK for example (Xvid convertor) when ever i go to open the location where i want to save my .avi file to i get the "Windows host process (rundll32.exe) has stopped working". Also has done it for other programs where i go to open a location or folder on my computer. Any ideas as to why im gettin this message?

This is the only problem i seem to be having at present....

cheers!

keef

post-222206-1178284294.jpg

I had a problem on my old machine, which was using those Realtek drivers causing similar errors and a blank control panel.

Go into regedit, and browse to:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

Delete the SOUNDMAN key.

Reboot

See if it's fixed.

If not, completely uninstall the drivers, reboot and see if you still get the problem. If not, then it's the drivers, which I'd put money on. If this is the case; try acquiring the latest ones from here. If they also cause the problem, uninstall them completely, extract the driver package and install the driver using the .inf file in the device manager rather than the setup.exe, that way you'll see get the sound but not the CPL, which is what I think causes the problems.

Good luck!

Note: I think I managed to solve it on my old machine by deleting the SOUNDMAN entry, so SOUNDMAN.EXE wasn't running.

wel i did try what you said... and it didnt work... well before i tried that i checked what audio driver i was using and wasnt actually Realtek AC97...that was on my old system... the one im using now is Realtek High Definination Audio... to which i did manage to update to new version, but no change.So dont think it has anything to do with the soundcard.... arghh...my nightmare continues. This has only started happening with Vista.....

i think its to do with the audio/video codec nero installs- it conflicts with vista.. there is a reg fix out there... i also had similair problems.

Thanks for the tip, that seems to have solved my problem, so does this suggest that there is a fix out there for this issue? do you still use nero even after having the problem?

cheers for the help btw...very much appreciated! :-)

• 1 year later...
wel i did try what you said... and it didnt work... well before i tried that i checked what audio driver i was using and wasnt actually Realtek AC97...that was on my old system... the one im using now is Realtek High Definination Audio... to which i did manage to update to new version, but no change.So dont think it has anything to do with the soundcard.... arghh...my nightmare continues. This has only started happening with Vista.....

i am having this issue with constant error messages for rundll32.exe and windows explorer stopped working and is restarting and i do not have nero.

and it's very frustrating. the most time i have in anything windows related is about 3 seconds. i ahve to move fast.

does anyone know a fix for this problem? i'm thinking the worst...

because i did a scan with avg free 8.0 and it said there was a trojan horse startpage.cqs on my aim uninstal files. and i'm wondering what that means. if i delete aim is it going to start the virus? idk what i did but i hope someone will be able to help me... :0(