So how is Vista Now?

I am just wondering how Vista is doing now that it has been a few months since release. How is driver support doing? (I am mainly interested in NVIDIA and Creative drivers). How is your gaming experience in Vista? Have the bugs been worked out? (One that REALLY bothered me is the Address bar in My Computer or any folder would show web addresses rather than folders and drives).

I purchased home premium the day it came out and was very impressed with the new look/feel to it. I managed to use it for about a good two weeks before I reverted back to XP. The only thing that made me do it was driver support. I absolutely could not play my games at 20fps. With work, school, girlfriend, and a regular social life I like to at least enjoy the few hours a week I get to "nerd it up" so to speak..

Thanks.

I can't say how the NVIDIA drivers are these days but I know Creative's drivers are still a bit, well, lacking. Everything else seems to be okay for me, I'm running Home Premium.

I used Vista (Business) for about a month until I got sick all the little issues. My first problem was graphics drivers. One would think that with a Nvidia 7900GS and a core 2 duo 2.13ghz and 2gb of 800mhz memory would be enough to play Age of Empires III at a good resolution; but I think my old Rage 3D card looked better playing Duke Nukem 3D. Then there was my recent (expensive) purchase of Adobe Acrobat 8, that kept telling me to activate it (over and over again) before I could run it. Then add in all the little problems and I was back on XP real quick. After a few months of XP, and after much research I have since re-installed Vista and I'm not looking back. Vista just feels right. I feel my computer runs more stable than with XP, and with all the latest drivers, everything is smooth as a butter.

I think if anyone wants to run Vista, take the time to research each component of their computer. Take the time to set things up right the first time and I think their experience will be a good one.

Funny how you expect those people to answer who dont have a "regular social life"

What exactly do you mean by that?

Like I said in my previous post I haven't had any problems with Windows Vista, it's been working great on my HP Pavilion notebook. Everything I want to do with the computer can be easily accomplished, it's never once crashed on me in any way, and everything just works. There was no guess work, no messing around with settings, it just works. Which is nice, because I know with Windows XP it could be a bit of a pain to get configured right the first time around.

There are so many improvements in Windows Vista that I'm unable to look back and use Windows XP again on a day-to-day basis. For instance, the search capabilities are insanely powerful and useful. The Windows Sidebar is pretty nice. The way that you can change power options on the fly right from the notification area is nice. The built in clock and calendar when you click on the time in the notification area is really nice as well. Desktop Composition makes everything smooth as butter, no more redraw issues. The entire operating system just feels so much more solidly build, and stable.

Funny how you expect those people to answer who dont have a "regular social life"

So you're saying that anyone who answers the question has no social life? What's your problem?

This coming from someone who has "From: 1337 H4x0R" under their ID :rolleyes: Time for you to grow up I think.

nothing has changed. luckily, i don't play games so the graphics drivers problem ppl experience isn't a problem for me. the system is still as rock solid and pretty as it first was. i just wish better apps would come out to take advantage of DX10 and WDM

It's well fast, operates just as good as XP for me. Apart from the odd driver issue but nothing biggie :) Gaming is fantastic on it too :D

Played... (Y)

works pretty swell for me. i've got another gig of ram coming in soon, so that should help even more.

i had problems with Creative drivers. It's just unprofessional how they are treating their customers.

And I think i might be having a problem with my wireless linksys adapter.

But nothing major enough to make me want to switch back to XP. I love how vista looks and functions for the most part. I think by the time the service pack comes out things will be smoooooth.

I think Vista is going to be totally stable and the performance faster as XP when Microsoft release SP1. There has been a few updates since Vista was released but the real deal will be with SP1.

So you're saying that anyone who answers the question has no social life? What's your problem?

This coming from someone who has "From: 1337 H4x0R" under their ID :rolleyes: Time for you to grow up I think.

No, I don't believe he's accusing the members here of not having life - he is sarcastically replying to the topic poster who specified that he does have a regular social life, as if we don't.

except on my desktop it randomally will blue screen for no reason

I get BSOD now and again. It's not very often, but happens for no reason at all when it does. Very strange.

Apart from that, my experience with Vista has been fine.

perfect on my laptop.. i just added 2GB of flash ram readyboost today to it, and it was so worth the $40!

I gave it a speedtest, opened Photoshop CS2, imageready CS2, IE7, Firefox, Limewire, WMP11, outlook, word, excel all one click after another

and all open without going over 1GB of ram in task manager, or over 60% of my processor power.. i was amazed :D

Please people, can we keep the infamous internet sarcasm to a minimum? I seriously didn't mean anything by that little comment, and I'm sorry if anyone took offense to it. I was just trying to emphasize the time I get to play games with. I have been lurking around this forum/community for some two odd years now and my hat's off to all of the active posters here. You have helped me numerous of times without even knowing it.

Thanks for all of the replies, I'm going to do some research with my hardware and see how Vista friendly it is.

Nvidia needs to be taken out back and cained in the nuts, for the lack of Nforce 3 support

Did anyone ever find out what caused the slow transfer speeds? I know when i was last on it, myself and other had problems with files taking hours to transfer. Like for me 3gigs (all in one folder my pictures) was going to literally take 3-4days to transfer from my D drive back to my vista drive....and when you sat it there and came back two hours later it still held at that time left to transfer. that was the only thing that drove me away.

Wait, you didn't put it in terms their primitive mind could understand it.

Oook oook ACK ACK!

Btw, just to add some non-flaming stuff to this post,

When I used Vista I found it REALLY bad. It had a lot of software incompatability, OpenGL support was murdered, and i'm pretty sure Allegro and Guichan were massacred. Is this problem fixed now?

Runs great here. Haven't had any issues even with compatibility for programs that I have to use but weren't written for Vista.

I've been stable since RC1, and that was with the Microsoft provided drivers. Toshiba has only had to release a bios update (had no problems installing it), a handful of drivers (to take advantage of features the new bios provided) and a new version of the utilites they provide.

Runs great here. Haven't had any issues even with compatibility for programs that I have to use but weren't written for Vista.

I've been stable since RC1, and that was with the Microsoft provided drivers. Toshiba has only had to release a bios update (had no problems installing it), a handful of drivers (to take advantage of features the new bios provided) and a new version of the utilites they provide.

You must have a more recent Toshiba LOL!

I got Vista to work on my Toshiba Satellite M30 using nvidia graphics driver advice from here. It works fine, but occasionally the screen scrambles and then refreshes. I do get the aero effect, though, and this is with a 32mb GeForce FX onboard graphics chip.

Don't know if you have any better ideas on that! But if so, I'd much like to hear them. :)

I used Vista (Business) for about a month until I got sick all the little issues. My first problem was graphics drivers. One would think that with a Nvidia 7900GS and a core 2 duo 2.13ghz and 2gb of 800mhz memory would be enough to play Age of Empires III at a good resolution; but I think my old Rage 3D card looked better playing Duke Nukem 3D. Then there was my recent (expensive) purchase of Adobe Acrobat 8, that kept telling me to activate it (over and over again) before I could run it. Then add in all the little problems and I was back on XP real quick. After a few months of XP, and after much research I have since re-installed Vista and I'm not looking back. Vista just feels right. I feel my computer runs more stable than with XP, and with all the latest drivers, everything is smooth as a butter.

I think if anyone wants to run Vista, take the time to research each component of their computer. Take the time to set things up right the first time and I think their experience will be a good one.

About the acrobat 8 registration I think that won't pop-up again if you run acrobat as administrator one time and register.

As said "I think if anyone wants to run Vista, take the time to research each component of their computer." :)