• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

So how is Vista Now?

George P    5,948

You know what's funny in all this? People reply and say they're haivng no problems and that they like Vista better then XP. Then people jump on them for somehow defending Vista when everyone else says it sucks and XP is better. I mean, really, WTF is wrong with some of you? Granted people have had problems with vista, many of which are driver related, and this is a fact! Any driver problems will take down any OS, this is just how things work. It could be gfx drivers or chipset drivers screwing with your performence. But the thing is, even if you have had problems, that doesn't mean EVERYONE has. Lots of people are using Vista now and it's true that for them everything works and they really like it.

If you don't like it then fine, stay with XP, but why do people have to jump over each other when their opinions don't match? And on a side note, has everyone forgot how crappy XP was in its first year out? It also had the same lack of drivers that Vista has now, and at the time many said it was just eye candy and not worth it. They'd tell you to stay with Win2k and forget XP, but now it seems these are many of the same people who are now using XP and say the samething about Vista. Any bitching for a new OS has gotten old, I've seen this repeat itself since Win2k first came out, even then people said to stay witn Win98 because gaming on 2k sucked. Same exact arguments, the only thing that's changed is the version of windows in question.

ew2x4    4

People that take a person's opinion of OS personally definitely shouldn't be calling anyone "kiddie" as they need to grow up themselves.

As for Vista, I've been trying it out for a few weeks, and I feel that MS really took the time to get all the small things right. Nvidia Drivers are pretty good compared to when XP first was released. They still have a ways to go. I wish there was a little more ability for customization (granted, the advanced user will always want more forgetting the most novice users will be using the same exact software). Overall, I think it's a solid OS and worthy of following XP. I've been using XP for years now, and OSX at work for a couple years. I consider both of those alright OS's with some major flaws. Obviously Vista has some flaws, but I think it's definitely a step ahead of the both of them in every way.

I also think people need to take a chill pill and grow up a little (maturity on a message board counts for a hell of a lot more than age, "kiddie").

PaulCabby    2

Windows Vista is just as fast as XP for me :)

All the games I want to play work flawlessly (Counter Strike: Source and C&C3. With aall settings turned on to the maximum and no slow downs at all. always breaking 100 fps on CSS and 25-30 on C&C3 (as it is limted to 30fps).

I usually use programs like MS word 2007, firefox, WMP11, mIRC, photoshop and the list goes on. I also find these programs to load rather quickly too. Apart from the resource hoggers like Photoshop (but it still does loads quickly for me). I also have no driver issues at all :)

riahc3    440

Vista is the same as "before" - Increible, amazing and way better than XP.

Lexcyn    88

Vista for me is better than XP. Just seems to run better. Sure there are some quirks but just give software developers some time to get comfortable with Vista - you'll see it shine then. :)

Tantawi    194

My experience with Windows Vista is excellent, although it's running on an old CPU, P4 @ 3.7GHz, but on 2 GB of RAM.

Apart from the few minutes HDD loading SuperFetch cache every reboot, I don't have any noticable issues at all right now, actually that's not even an issue as it makes things faster whenever it done its thing.

I can never go back to Windows XP, it's like going to Windows 98 now. Go Vista! :)

Luis.A    0

Everything is working great on a number of laptops I've installed it on. Driver support has been awesome and performance is better than expected on some systems I have worked with.

Litespeed    2

Well, I bought a GeForce 6200 thinking that I'd get Aero Glass, but no dice. I tried the built-in drivers and the latest nVidia ones and I still get the "lite" interface. Also having 512mb memory slows it down a lot. Startup and shutdown is slow. Standby doesn't work.

Hardware:

AMD Sempron 2800+

Asus K8N

512mb RAM

Asus GeForce 6200 128mb

120GB HDD

Tantawi    194

^ You need 1 GB RAM for Aero to work. 512MB will not enable it.

Vista will run far better on 1GB than 512MB, if you can't upgrade the RAM, sticking with XP is the wiser option.

Malisk    142

As for why one would use Vista before XP, there's just so many reasons that it's hard to get started, and I'm 100% sure these people "wondering" that in this thread has read the arguments dozens of times before on Neowin too, so I'm not sure why they even ask anymore. Is this honestly the first thread these people have come to and just now they are curious. To me it's like asking what one would use for in Windows 2000 anyway, when NT 4 is already NT based. Stuff like the admin tools are improved almost across the board, the new driver recovery feature for bad drivers instead of BSOD's in XP, the improved user mode driver system, integrated Windows Update so I no longer have to bother with IE 7 for that site, far better power management controls, the new network stack and visualization, ... I mean, there are hundreds of improvements.

Mordkanin    225

Vista will run far better on 1GB than 512MB, if you can't upgrade the RAM, sticking with XP is the wiser option.

Actually my sister got a new computer with 512mb of RAM, when I installed Vista on it, Aero was turned on.

Admodieus    4

I've been using Vista since about a week before the release to store shelves (PowerTogether FTW) and I love it. It's never totally locked up and crashed on me (requiring a hard reboot) once. It's found all my drivers with ease with the exception of my Dell Printer, and even then it prompted for the driver CD at exactly the right time. The new breadcrumb navigation system takes about a day to get used to, but after that it's light years ahead of the old style. There's also a lot of little nice touches, like the Snipping Tool, Expose with a Microsoft brand Mouse, a new programs list that I find neater and easier to use, and improved security.

It's was worth an upgrade in January, and its worth an upgrade now.

Denis W.    732

I've used Vista nearly fulltime on my laptop for the last three months, and about half-time on my desktop since last year's Beta 2.

The improvements in Vista are not a must for me, but they sure as hell make certain tasks easier. They're small things, such as:

• The popup calendar. No more accidentally changing the date to look up days of previous months.
  • The Favorite Links pane.
  • Thumbnail previews in Taskbar and Explorer. I'm not so keen on folder previews at a small icon size, i.e. 32x32; the folders look all cluttered in my XP My Documents folder.
  • The type grouping options. If I just want to see EXE files in a folder, click the down arrow for "type," select Application. That's it. I can also hide groups of files on the fly.
  • The excellent Remote Desktop Client that supports DWM composition. Sometimes I nearly get confused of which desktop I'm on, the client or the host.
  • The ease of automatically setting appropriate firewall settings when I enter a different WiFi network on my laptop
  • Typing in a few words in the Start Menu search to launch programs. It's still flawed at times, i.e. I type in "Winamp" and it selects "Uninstall Winamp" unless I pin Winamp to the Start Menu.
  • When I drag and drop files and folders, the mouse pointer clearly indicates the default action. No more guessing what it is or doing a right mouse button drag.
  • Per-application volume control. Sounds coming from MsgPlusLive in WLM are no longer at ear raping levels. :cool:
  • The visual interface and icons. They rock. I'm just talking about Aero in general, not the sometimes WTF-worthy UI interfaces in some of Vista's bundled applications. I'd say the worst offender in UI design for Vista's bundled apps is DVD Maker. Can someone please explain why a small "File" dropdown is needed when there's only three options: Save, Save As, Exit? And why is the Options link available on only one page? MS better do what they did to Movie Maker back in XP and release a DVD Maker 2 if they ever think this will match or beat iDVD, as Movie Maker 2/Movie Maker Vista is quite comparable to iMovie.
  • Media Center. Slick interface for playing music and videos.
  • Windows Flip (ALT+TAB). Flip 3D is cool, but not practical in everyday use. The ALT+TAB replacements for Vista are too slow to be useable.

I won't get into the under-the-hood specifics, i.e. UAC virtualization, SuperFetch (I disabled it, it was unnecessarily prefetching files I don't access all the time), DX10, user-mode drivers, etc. They've been mentioned to death.

Well, I bought a GeForce 6200 thinking that I'd get Aero Glass, but no dice. I tried the built-in drivers and the latest nVidia ones and I still get the "lite" interface. Also having 512mb memory slows it down a lot. Startup and shutdown is slow. Standby doesn't work.

Hardware:

AMD Sempron 2800+

Asus K8N

512mb RAM

Asus GeForce 6200 128mb

120GB HDD

Picked this up from another forum. To force Aero on with 512 MB of RAM, go to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\DWM, edit "Composition" and set it to 1, and edit "CompositionPolicy" and set it to 2. Then open an elevated command prompt (Start > type cmd > press CTRL+SHIFT+ENTER) and type in "net stop uxsms" and then "net start uxsms".

Edited by rm20010

zhangm    1,360

Its amazing how some people continually bash Vista blindly. That's ok by a long stretch of definition, but bashing the people who say that it is working fine for them is way out of line. The people who have resorted to measures such as calling someone's opinion is bull and calling people "kid" in a pathetic attempt to diminish the truthfulness of their experienced should be embarrassed of their own small-mindedness.

MrCobra    0
Did anyone ever find out what caused the slow transfer speeds? I know when i was last on it, myself and other had problems with files taking hours to transfer. Like for me 3gigs (all in one folder my pictures) was going to literally take 3-4days to transfer from my D drive back to my vista drive....and when you sat it there and came back two hours later it still held at that time left to transfer. that was the only thing that drove me away.

That's a little quirk of Superfetch not realeasing memory back to the system when it's needed. You need memory to copy/move files. It's very possible for Superfetch to not release any memory back to system and you get out of memory errors.

Litespeed    2

Yeah I probably should get another 512mb. XP runs like a cut cat on the same hardware though.

Easyblue    0

For those of you saying that CS:S and BF run on max with no stutters at all, what are your system specs?

Here are mine:

AMD 64 4000+ (2.4ghz)

2gb RAM

PNY Geforce 6600 256Mb

SATA 120gb Western Digital 7200rpm

I know updating my video card would help matters out a bit, and I also heard vista is more friendly with dual core processors. I just feel like it might be a waste of money if I rush out and update my machine when it may run perfectly fine on Vista after SP1 (as it does now on XP). If my memory serves me correctly, I think I remember getting either a 3.7 or 4.7 on the Vista score thing (can't remember what it's called, sorry).

So my question is, should I bite the bullet and go out and upgrade? If so, please recommend some good mobo's/cpu combo's, and a video card. I think I remember reading that ati is doing better on the driver situation than nvidia is. Or would it be best to wait it out until SP1 is released and see how my performance is then?

+Fahim S.    1,098

Absolutely loving Vista for most of the reasons that rm20010 mentioned. It is really hard work using XP at work.

gigapixels    99
I've used Vista nearly fulltime on my laptop for the last three months, and about half-time on my desktop since last year's Beta 2.

The improvements in Vista are not a must for me, but they sure as hell make certain tasks easier. They're small things, such as:

• The popup calendar. No more accidentally changing the date to look up days of previous months.
  • The Favorite Links pane.
  • Thumbnail previews in Taskbar and Explorer. I'm not so keen on folder previews at a small icon size, i.e. 32x32; the folders look all cluttered in my XP My Documents folder.
  • The type grouping options. If I just want to see EXE files in a folder, click the down arrow for "type," select Application. That's it. I can also hide groups of files on the fly.
  • The excellent Remote Desktop Client that supports DWM composition. Sometimes I nearly get confused of which desktop I'm on, the client or the host.
  • The ease of automatically setting appropriate firewall settings when I enter a different WiFi network on my laptop
  • Typing in a few words in the Start Menu search to launch programs. It's still flawed at times, i.e. I type in "Winamp" and it selects "Uninstall Winamp" unless I pin Winamp to the Start Menu.
  • When I drag and drop files and folders, the mouse pointer clearly indicates the default action. No more guessing what it is or doing a right mouse button drag.
  • Per-application volume control. Sounds coming from MsgPlusLive in WLM are no longer at ear raping levels. :cool:
  • The visual interface and icons. They rock. I'm just talking about Aero in general, not the sometimes WTF-worthy UI interfaces in some of Vista's bundled applications. I'd say the worst offender in UI design for Vista's bundled apps is DVD Maker. Can someone please explain why a small "File" dropdown is needed when there's only three options: Save, Save As, Exit? And why is the Options link available on only one page? MS better do what they did to Movie Maker back in XP and release a DVD Maker 2 if they ever think this will match or beat iDVD, as Movie Maker 2/Movie Maker Vista is quite comparable to iMovie.
  • Media Center. Slick interface for playing music and videos.
  • Windows Flip (ALT+TAB). Flip 3D is cool, but not practical in everyday use. The ALT+TAB replacements for Vista are too slow to be useable.

I won't get into the under-the-hood specifics, i.e. UAC virtualization, SuperFetch (I disabled it, it was unnecessarily prefetching files I don't access all the time), DX10, user-mode drivers, etc. They've been mentioned to death.

Thanks for listing those... I'm really bad about thinking of all of the little things that make a difference. :laugh:

notuptome2004    175

to David15 or what ever ..

i run vista on my system and have absolutely no issues installing drive. when i install a driver it installs normal to me and i have been using windows for well a long time. i just think you dont know what your doing cause if i and other have no had troubles then you must be doing something freaking wrong, ther is no way i could ever go back to windows XP, but hey if you dont know how to do something blame Microsoft dude . Also i got a question why in the wolrd do you still have a Modem what no high speed ther wher you live

kazuyette    13

For me Vista is a no brainer ... I don't have the latest and fastest GFX (i915) so I don't have Aero enabled . But I'm not going back to XP. The only issue I have is with DivX doing some BSODs from time to time ( yeah ... I know I know DivX codec is total crap, but I got the Pro version for free) .

PaulCabby    2
For those of you saying that CS:S and BF run on max with no stutters at all, what are your system specs?

Here are mine:

AMD 64 4000+ (2.4ghz)

2gb RAM

PNY Geforce 6600 256Mb

SATA 120gb Western Digital 7200rpm

I know updating my video card would help matters out a bit, and I also heard vista is more friendly with dual core processors. I just feel like it might be a waste of money if I rush out and update my machine when it may run perfectly fine on Vista after SP1 (as it does now on XP). If my memory serves me correctly, I think I remember getting either a 3.7 or 4.7 on the Vista score thing (can't remember what it's called, sorry).

So my question is, should I bite the bullet and go out and upgrade? If so, please recommend some good mobo's/cpu combo's, and a video card. I think I remember reading that ati is doing better on the driver situation than nvidia is. Or would it be best to wait it out until SP1 is released and see how my performance is then?

Intel C2D E6320 (@ stock speeds. 1.86ghz)

2GB RAM

Sapphire Radeon X1950 pro 256MB

Everything on high with FPS of generally over 80 :)

TheNGTV    0

Wow.

This is NOT the first time I wished smartass idiot tech blogs didn't exist.

Vista is awesome on my system- I switched back to WDM (XP) drivers for my underpowered Geforce FX and it's heaven here.

Waiting for some great person to enable DWM with WDM drivers since nVidia (again those ****ers) abandoned 'em.

George P    5,948

I think right now that ATis (AMD now), gfx drivers are a bit ahead and better then nVidias. I wouldn't be suprised if the people saying their games run great on vista with everything on or set to full are running on a Radeon. That's not to say people with a Geforce card can't also get good performence, but at this point, I think AMD is ahead with it's Catalyst drivers, and 7.5 should be on the way soon.

Xerxes    230
I don't get why NVIDIA won't allow Vista support for nForce 3 mobos. I have the ASRock AM2NF3-VSTA mobo in my PC, and it says on the box that it's compatible with Vista Premium.

Unfortunately the fact of the matter is the nForce 3 is pretty much only a legacy chipset now (i.e. discontinued) and Nvidia don't support it any more (if you want to get technical, support ended in late 2005) they did release half baked Alpha drivers for Beta 1 version of Vista, but they never updated them.

Then they did a "Sony" and promised the nForce 3 would be "Vista Capable" and just after Vista launched they pulled the plug. They also did this to the GeForce FX owners, they supported them all the way through the BETAs/RCs and then when Vista went RTM, Nvidia dropped the ball and said all FX owners gotta upgrade to get Aero as the FX has been dropped.

Personally I think Nvidia have lost the plot, they are so busy trying to get the 8 series cards out and actually working properly they are neglecting everything else, I won't be surprised if the GeForce 6 series/nForce 4 is the next to be dropped from been supported in Vista in the not to distant future (I sure hope not though).

For your m/b, obviously it must be running on either custom chipset and/or drivers, cause if that is running on standard Nvidia nForce 3 drivers there are gonna be a lot of very ****ed off nForce 3 owners out there :p (cause they are gonna wanna know why this driver hasn't been released for all nForce 3 boards)