• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

So how is Vista Now?

Mark Schieldrop    1

I thought, according to NVIDIA's statements, that updated FX drivers will be coming out this summer.

Xerxes    230
I thought, according to NVIDIA's statements, that updated FX drivers will be coming out this summer.

I wasn't aware of that, but it would make sense if they did considering they did support the FX line all the way up to RC-2 of Vista. But I wouldn't get my hopes up about Nvidia seeing the light and release an updated nForce 3 driver though.

KeR    84

I just realized I haven't booted into my Vista partition in over a month.

Googintosh    6

My advice to the topic starter. Put Vista on another partition and test it for yourself with the current set of drivers available. Or take peoples word for it -- there are varying conclusions, such as XP vs Vista - A Tale of Framerates; which concludes that currently XP provides better framerates, though they neglected to test a configuration using a Radeon.

The common denominator among the erroneous arguments on both sides of the fence: "Vista works flawlessly for me so it must work flawlessly for everyone and if it doesn't you're a noob" / "Vista was crap for me so it must be crap for everyone and if it you don't notice it you're a noob"

But by far the most annoying are the posters who automatically deflect problems in Vista to the drivers "as a fact" (without even knowing or simply assuming which drivers the poster is using). With that logic we might as well turn off Windows Update since we won't be needing any bug patches.

I think it is possible that performance problems may indeed be caused by faulty drivers, but they could also be caused by quirks in Vista that Microsoft isn't yet aware of, or a combination of both.

I'm envious of the posters that say Vista performs better for them because my experience has been frustrating.

* BSOD; I think one of them is too many, but I've had several in two months. This is probably the most disheartening issue for me because I was used to five years of stable performance without a BSOD on XP. This translates to an uneasy computing experience when I have to save things I work on constantly because of the fear that I will get another BSOD and lose what I was working on.

* Local file transfers on my PC are light years slower. This problem is not isolated to a particular chipset or HDD type. There's a massive ongoing thread about it on Microsoft's Technet.

Diaboli    0

ask yourself

what can vista do that xp cant right now

my xp running windowblinds and yahoo widgets doesnt blue screen...is WAY faster...and more stable

i tried vista for a week and it was horrible

LiGhTfast    6

Vistas slow, dumb and a pain in the ass

Pikey    32
^ You need 1 GB RAM for Aero to work. 512MB will not enable it.

Thats just wrong! .. I have 512MB and Aero runs fine!!

In fact Vista runs fine ... and I've got a relatively old system ... I don't play the latest games though.

Of course it would be faster with better equipment, but it works!!

PC Chips M810 mobo with on-board sound!

AMD XP 1400

Nvidia Geforce 6200

512MB

3x80G hard-drives

Liteon DVD writer

Easyblue    0

Well today was my day off from work so I decided I would give Vista another shot, and to my surprise; I'm pleasantly impressed. XP still has the edge on game performance, but things have definately gotten better since the last time I've used this OS.

I think this time around I'm here to stay, thank you all for the insight and responses.

Invizibleyez    10

My main issue with Vista to this day is drivers. Some things I may have purchased not that long ago have been dropped altogether by their manufacturers support team. This is frustrating when those same pieces of equipment worked fine in XP, and there is no way to make those drivers work in Vista.

Most manufacturers have made some sort of driver support. My old epson scanner has a vista driver, but my new bluetooth dongle has no driver and cannot work. My HP Printer has limited support, and they don't sound optimistic about providing much more support, but my ATI/AMD Radeon X1600 Pro has several drivers that support even 64 bit systems. My Creative Labs Audigy 2 Platinum has a driver but no software that works, but my Creative Labs Web Cam NX Pro has no driver and no planned support.

(for a list of creative drivers, click here http://193.95.171.84/SRVS/CGI-BIN/WEBCGI.E....creative.com/)

All my microsoft and intel pieces have great support (microsoft Mouse, Keyboard, Intel Moboard, Processor, Chipset, On-Board Audio). I haven't tried my Pocket PC yet, but my Creative Labs Zen Vision:M seems to work great.

My anti-virus is Trend Micro PC-Cillin 2007 and they released a patch to fully support Vista for many different versions, whereas Norton insists you buy 2007 software. 2006 supposedly will not work.

I think Vista is the one thing that will seperate those who care about the customer from those who care more about their bottom line.

Otherwise, I just need to get used to Vista and locate some things that aren't where I'm used to them being, like Microphone mute. It exists. It's just very hard to find. Otherwise I love Vista. I love the animated Desktop.

TruckWEB    480

I have 2 problems with my Vista Ultimate x86 on my desktop PC (and laptop).

1- Slow file copy on network drive, but speedy Internet access...

2- Problems with some media playback (video), jerky, frame skip and can freeze.

Funny thing is, I don't have any media playback problem using Windows XP under VMWare on Vista !!! So their is something wrong with Vista or the nVidia drivers.

Slower frame rate with games. I mostly play Need For Speed Carbon, FEAR and both games seem slower than my experience with WinXP. I don't care that much, I'm not a big gamer and I have a Xbox360....

Creative Labs are still MIA with 100% feature complete drivers for my X-Fi. The Vista drivers are fair cry compared to WinXP drivers.

It's been a while since I've installed new software on my PC. But I can tell that Vista is booting a little bit slower that is used to.

That's about it. I had worse problem when using Vista Ultimate x64.... But Vista x86 is fine, I don't have plans to go back to WinXP.

Swift_Monkey    0

Vista is running just fine here.

Had a few driver issues but they have disapered after the new drivers were released and only my old Logitech webcam is not suported. But I can live with that for a few months until I get a new one.

Also have the latest ASUS bios and pc is just so much faster using Vista than XP.

①ne    0

I think Vista is very good OS.

If you think there is no drivers for you,go to your supporters' web for help.I has already got the drivers for my PC.I hope you can solve it too.Good luck!

da.pwns    0

You guys must be right, after all, anyone who comes on this thread with any negative feedback must not be talking from experience and is obviously a noob. Neowin used to be an informative place to bull****. Now all I see is assh0les trying to play mental tech jiu jitsu like they're gonna win a date with an actual girl if their point is deemed correct. You must be playing some gay RTS and not FPS where lag really isnt a factor. But who cares, I don't know what I'm talking about, I forgot.

You can easily pick out the posts that are going to be absolutely horrible to read through, they all start the post with "I..."

Lt-DavidW    2
My advice to the topic starter. Put Vista on another partition and test it for yourself with the current set of drivers available. Or take peoples word for it -- there are varying conclusions, such as XP vs Vista - A Tale of Framerates; which concludes that currently XP provides better framerates, though they neglected to test a configuration using a Radeon.

They've recently redid the article to include an ATI card and NVidia's newest drivers - here.

freak_power    0

Stay away from Vista X86 Edition. Get X64 Edition and 4Gb of RAM. Vista X64 works great...really good OS except that it has nusty bug if you try to install it on machine with 4Gb of RAM. Not all configurations are affected but it's there. The only way around is to install Vista x64 edition using 2GB and then after installation process is completed add other 2Gb, and everything works great.

I have no problem drivers under X64 edition except that a performance could be a bit better and it will be overtime.

Yesterday, i installed x64 edition for my brother. He has SLI 7900GTX (FW 160.04 WHQL and SLI etc works perfect). He plays WOW happily along with UT2004. Also he got audigy 2 gamer. The drivers are still in beta stage but works ok for his 2.1 sound system. Also, i got gameport drivers for x64 and x86 vista edition for creative audio cards and it works perfectly.

In a month or two nvidia drivers will be top notch. Also, Creative will shape out their drivers plus alchemy works great. As I said stay away from x86 edition because it crappola. X64 is way better by any means, a lot less bugs plus works fine with APCI and doesn't give you stupid event errors.

jwjw1    93

gotta love the comments with 'works great' except for a few bugs...or the .... x64 works great with 4g of ram...except you can't install it with 4g...you have to install it with 2g..then tear you computer open and install 2 more gig and hope you don't fry your motherboard...lol :wacko:

neufuse    4,113
Stay away from Vista X86 Edition. Get X64 Edition and 4Gb of RAM. Vista X64 works great...really good OS except that it has nusty bug if you try to install it on machine with 4Gb of RAM. Not all configurations are affected but it's there. The only way around is to install Vista x64 edition using 2GB and then after installation process is completed add other 2Gb, and everything works great.

I have no problem drivers under X64 edition except that a performance could be a bit better and it will be overtime.

Yesterday, i installed x64 edition for my brother. He has SLI 7900GTX (FW 160.04 WHQL and SLI etc works perfect). He plays WOW happily along with UT2004. Also he got audigy 2 gamer. The drivers are still in beta stage but works ok for his 2.1 sound system. Also, i got gameport drivers for x64 and x86 vista edition for creative audio cards and it works perfectly.

In a month or two nvidia drivers will be top notch. Also, Creative will shape out their drivers plus alchemy works great. As I said stay away from x86 edition because it crappola. X64 is way better by any means, a lot less bugs plus works fine with APCI and doesn't give you stupid event errors.

except for the fact a few high end MS products dont work right on x64... one of them being Visio 2003 and 2007... if you install it on x64 then try to create a database diagram... you are in for some trouble... you have to disable the print spooler... yes the PRINT SPOOLER! to make a database diagram, which doesnt even use the printer! unless you want to print of course... this only happens on 64bit xp and vista with 2003 and 2007 of visio... but that is just ONE example of issues...

mattisking    0

Vista is awful, truly awful. I'm not a troll and have been an avid Windows user for many many years. I've been a programmer for almost 12 years now almost exclusively in the Windows world and I have to say that it's proven to me the biggest disappointment since Windows ME. If you want to take XP, add a very beautiful face on top, but then dramatically reduce the playing speed of virtually every game you've ever played while also slowing your PC down across the board, then it's totally for you. The new interface is horribly bloated, drivers are woefully inadequate, particularly with graphics manufacturers (both Nvidia and ATI). It sometimes takes me 3 minutes to copy a freaking file from the desktop to My Documents... it goes into "Calculating transfer speed" nonsense. All the talk about how the interface would no longer lag during network or IO operations is garbage. It's worse than before. I'm running a brand new Dell Core 2 Duo (bought this last Christmas) with a fresh install (not upgrade path) with SATA drives, Geforce 7300, 2 Gig of RAM, Gigabit ethernet,...