• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

[poll] How secure is your login password?

How secure is your login password?  

184 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Echilon    1

I've got a 10 digit alphanumeric password, but I use auto-logon ;)

JBOURNE    0

Administrator Priveleges - complex password (mix of numbers, symbols upper/lower case letters)

FlishFun    2

Complex on all my systems... work, home, laptop (usually around 8 - 10 characters, Uppercase, Lowercase, Numbers, and Symbols). Super complex on my home wireless (no leechers!)... it's 12 characters, (Upper, Lower, Num, and Symbols). The funny thing? At my office they've been using what is pretty much the weakest password ever, for years. No, not "password", but it's pretty non-complex, even though they got hacked when someone got it long ago. :laugh:

tiagosilva29    952

User Level login - complex password on lvm encryption access -> somewhat-complex password on user -> complex password on root

Lee G.    236

I voted for Administrator Priveleges - basic password, but I should really have voted for Administrator Priveleges - complex password (mix of numbers, symbols upper/lower case letters). Although my password isn't a mix of numbers and letters, it's just a load of letters which do not make a word, so it's not a basic password in that respect.

Colin-uk    135

admin prives with no password :p

there isnt anyone I need to keep out really, nobody else uses my pc.

Glassed Silver    940

Admin/complex

On Mac OS X... I don't count XP in, because it's ridiculous... just games, pretty much like a console, no sensitive data actually. (easy password on that one, though)

Glassed Silver:mac

dragon2611    13

Admin User Auto login on Windows

But then again my HDD is encrypted and you have to enter the password for that before the pc will even boot so it won't do anyone a lot of good anyway :p

Shadow Dragon    0

Don't use a password for any of my PC's, have XP on them both and it's pretty much useless to use as theft security since it can be cracked in less than a minute.

I did have a bios password on my win 95 a very long time ago, back then I used my number 2 password:

I have 3 passwords:

1. 4-digit numerical for mobile phone and other places where too much security isn't required

2. 8-digit password with letters and numbers for my mail and bit more important stuff

3. 10-digit password complex password for banking and other really important stuff

tunafish    7

Well my laptop i am now sorting out

I am currently doing a US DOD pass over my laptops HD's it's got 2 80gb hd's in it (it's going in for repair and i dont trust them), last time i sent it in for a repair they decided to replace the HD's for no reason and thus i lost a few passwords.

I may then intend to truecrypt my HD, and have a secure password on the account. Or i may decide to just tryecrypt the 2nd HD i dunno yet.

This is because i do alot of banking on my laptop as well as an IT admin job which stores my passwords for servers and such.

Home Server

Currently no direct root login allowed

May setup and only allows RSA key logins

+Gary7    7,382

When I had my company's laptop , it took three separate passwords to even get at the desktop. The there was another password to get into the intranet. It took about 3 minutes to boot up on a good day.

cork1958    1,822

User Level login - complex password, and complex password on admin account

I don't care how easy it is to crack passwords on XP, I'm going to make anybody that want's to try anything at least have to make an effort.

Death Blade    0

true-crypt, then visual recognition and thumbprint, followed by my complex password. hmm... i think that's it