Astronomers date star's birth back to nearly the dawn of time

TheElite
Reasonable? Are you seriously going to use that as an argument? I can believe in the purple snake living in my pocket and get a million people to do so with me, doesn't make it true. This isn't hard to understand.

I guarantee that you cant get a million people to believe that.

vincent
I guarantee that you cant get a million people to believe that.

It was analogy.... you get my point. if one guy can gt a group of people to believe that by poisoning themselves to meet up with some spaceship that's near a comet, i don't doubt that i can get people to believe in something else. Hell look at scientology :laugh:

TheElite

But tell me whether these moronic groups have helped the world in any way? Religion has furthered the world, whether you belonged to one faith or the other.

vincent
But tell me whether these moronic groups have helped the world in any way? Religion has furthered the world, whether you belonged to one faith or the other.

It's done far more destruction and continues to do more destruction, than good.

TheElite

No, dont get confused with what people believe religion to be and what it really is.

acies
Why doesn't belief constitute as evidence?

Maybe if there was one madman saying this, then maybe your argument could be right. But with over 3 billion reasonable people believing this, doesnt that constitute as evidence?

Not at all. A lot of people used to think the world was flat, but of course they had an incomplete understanding of the world. If you believe your favourite football team is going to win that doesn't constitute as evidence that they will win. A belief is your conviction of what is true with out any hard proof.

Mathiasdm
Well, if I know that something exists, but can't prove TO YOU that he exists, does that mean he doesn't really exist?

Atleast with this there's belief. With science EVERYTHING is unproven until you can prove it. It's a shame you need leaps of faith with science aswell.

If you prove it exists, it exists (assuming the proof is correct).

If you prove it doesn't exist, it doesn't exist (again assuming the proof is correct).

If you can't prove either of these, it might exist.

Since nobody has proven or disproven the existence of God, he/she might exist.

jackwanders
Why doesn't belief constitute as evidence?

Maybe if there was one madman saying this, then maybe your argument could be right. But with over 3 billion reasonable people believing this, doesnt that constitute as evidence?

Belief is not evidence.

Evidence is the basis for belief. Evidence is the "why" in "why do you believe?"

Would you say "I believe because 3 billion other people believe"?

TheElite

No. But some people might take it is an added incentive.

jackwanders

That doesn't make them right. The number of people that believe something is meaningless. It lends nothing to the actual veracity of the belief.

Saying God exists because billions of people believe God exists is nonsense. At one point in time, every person on the planet believed that the Earth was the center of the universe. They believed the Sun orbited a flat Earth. That didn't make any of it true.

SubjectDelta

I believe people make their decisions...this religion or that...it's not the religions, it is the people...trying to force their beliefs upon other people thus getting people dragged down into this mentality that it is the only way...do what you will, pray to whomever...it's just nonsense how they try so hard to get others to believe...my opinion(which doesn't really matter)is religion is merely a way of scaring people...live a sin free life and you won't go to hell...scaring people to be like you...it is too funny. God loves you, but if you don't do as his followers, he'll send you to hell...I don't understand...but eh...how's the weather?

P.S. I'm not judging anyone...these are just my personal beliefs...I'm not trying to create any hostility...

Mathiasdm

Lots of people think 0.99... != 1

Doesn't mean it's true.

acies
Lots of people think 0.99... != 1

Doesn't mean it's true.

Isn't that proved?

TheElite

Lots of people believe a lot of things that arent true, I dont doubt that.

But in this case, people are believing in something that MAY or MAY NOT be true. As there is no proof to discourage the belief, why are they not allowed to hold it?

vincent
Lots of people believe a lot of things that arent true, I dont doubt that.

But in this case, people are believing in something that MAY or MAY NOT be true. As there is no proof to discourage the belief, why are they not allowed to hold it?

Noone is they're aren't allowed to do so. Just that it's improbable.

TheElite

Whats improbable?

jackwanders

he's referring to God's existence as being improbable.

TheElite

Well, without any proof backing it up, I'll leave that as pure opinion.

freedom77
Well, without any proof backing it up, I'll leave that as pure opinion.

Well the point is why would you choose to believe in something that "could" or "couldn't" actually exist. But the fact is that there is 0 proof of there being a god and then the chance of it being the exact god that you believe is pretty slim.

TheElite

Well, to someone who thinks he's there, he IS definitely there. Its only could/couldnt for people who dont know, and non-existent to non-believers.

I don't think there is zero proof for the existence, and why do you think that the God we envisage is not the one? Thats what the specific religious texts are for.

SubjectDelta

Well we can all agree all of this debating on God's inconclusive existence is always going make people disagree...everyone has their own opinion on the matter and back and forth debating will continue as usual...until there is an answer...but who knows?

MGS4-SS

The position where the human being created God will make it impossible to determine if it is real or not.

Human imagination did a good one when creating God, covering all bases that could be used to prove or disprove its existence.

TheElite

There has been nothing made by humans that is infallible, why would God be?

You think people thousands of years ago could concieve an unbreakable idea such as a supreme deity?