Satisfied Vista Users

I went for vista a month ago and I have had nothing but headaches. Let me just say if this was a car I would have brought it back.

Am I alone?

What are everyones most hated feaututres? I would have to vote for the search. No matter how many places I turn it off it comes back to haunt me. Openning a simple folder become an annoyance.

Edited by zookeeper

Deleting and moving files.... it takes FOREVER.

Acessing computer management, iis manager, etc... require extra clicks and takes up time.

post-3351-1179289186.jpg

Edited by shockz

And then my second favourite refresh in the explorer. This bug has been around probaby since 95. You do something in another program, say winzip that writes files to the system, you go to file explorer and the files are not there. hmm. refresh required. And of course not every time, just sometimes. You would have thought they could have solved this problem by now.

I'm perfectly happy with Vista. There are a few minor annoyances but otherwise it's been stable as a rock.

The only problems I've really had are the occasional slow transfers (which seem to have vanished) and the fact that I had to reinstall due to a dodgy Hard Disk. Other than that been quite happy - probably would be a different matter if I played some newer games but most of mine are a few years old.

odd, I get a blue screen at least every day. Sometimes even just after a restart. The little thingy that searches for "solutions" half the time doesnt even return a result. When it does it blames the one board graphics card.

Oh I just thought about my next favourite problem, I have a small network at home 3 computers (2 xp machines), if those are not up and running, I have a greater chance of getting a blue screen when I power up.

I cant believe the number of positive replys. I think the hardware is ok, I just I am just putting it under a heavy load.

I'm perfectly happy with Vista. There are a few minor annoyances but otherwise it's been stable as a rock.

Ahhhh, so your the one...... ;)

Just kidding.

I run Vista using Bootcamp and don't have problems with day to day stuff. Gaming is a HUGE pain with Vista so I use my XP Bootcamp to get the PC games going. I mostly use OS X (I have a Mac Pro). Since I'm a PC Technician by trade, I have to keep up with the latest Windows offers.

It's going to take a while for the dust to settle on Vista problems but those of us who migrated from 98 to XP have all been through this before. This time next year Vista will have rosier comments.

All i have seen to have heard is the bugs and problems which come attatched to Vista, Im quite happy with XP at the moment, well especially until Service Pack 2 comes out for Vista.

could it have to do with the fact that I am using 64 bit version?!

Has anyone tried the voice recognition program? I cannot believe they shipped with that thing. I broke my hand so I was kind of desperate. But once again they shipped their complete re-write with something that was broken in 95 with something that was broken in vista.

Acessing computer management, its manager, etc... require extra clicks and takes up time.

That must suck... but I've had zero problems with Vista. I don't think this bug affects me. I have 1GB ram and I felt Superfectch speed up my experience. Also, I do a lot of work with my computer - research, typesetting, .NET development, PHP development - and I've really noticed all the little niceties in its shell. It makes me more productive.

They really should get on top of that bug... it does them no good to have annoyed users.

That's never happened to me. I always find it to be rather fast (even faster than XP? :o)

I'm happy with Vista btw :)

More or less happy.

Annoying bugs are that I sometimes get slow file transfer copying to my external HD (over firewire) or between partitions. Other than that, I think I've solved everything else. Sometimes my DVD drive went nuts and kept asking me to format discs that I'd burned and finalized but a firmware update took care of that.

The one thing that remains that bugs me isn't a Vista bug I don't think since it's related to Media Player Classic still allowing my screen to go blank in full screen playback. Worked fine in XP. Anyway, using Zoom Player has solved that issue.

Oh, and I don't like the scrolling start menu. Preferred how it was in XP where I could see everything. Maybe I should try out Start++ or something as an alternative. Also, wish I could start an advanced search by default but that's minor.

All in all, no major complaints here.

I've been happy with Vista, it is so much better than XP. My only complaint is video drivers are a pain sometimes, but that is not microsoft's fault.

no one has problems with the search?

First I turned off the service, because I had a directory that was deep, but the indexor never made any progress. Even after shutting down the index service, I realized that it was still indexing, every time I hit a directory of any depth, serious lag. Then finally I recursivley turned off indexing for every single directory. That "almost" worked. Every now again I go to open a directory and it go goes and trys to index (most of the time it never completes). All I want to do is open the friggen directory! The specs on the machine are not bad, ie 2 gigs ram, 64 bit ok processor, so I really dont think it is the machine.

Oh just remembered one of my favourite bugs. I am in germany and using a german keyboard. Somehow the keyboard binding switches all by itself (from German keyboard to English keyboard). Which means y and z get transposed and all of the symbol characters. Fine job microsoft.

I've grown to really like Vista and I've been using it a whole lot more but it doesn't offer me anything over XP and performance wise its not as good.

I'm a happy Vista user.

I think the search is brilliant. Amongst other things..

I've been using Vista for maybe almost 2 months now. I've only had minor problems which were resolved quite easily. The only thing that I don't really like right now is the nVidia graphic drivers support. When I play Counter-Strike: Source with AA/AF settings turned on, the performance is reduced dramatically. Aside from that, I think everything is close to or if not, perfect. I even think that I can work around much more efficiently!

no one has problems with the search?

First I turned off the service, because I had a directory that was deep, but the indexor never made any progress. Even after shutting down the index service, I realized that it was still indexing, every time I hit a directory of any depth, serious lag. Then finally I recursivley turned off indexing for every single directory. That "almost" worked. Every now again I go to open a directory and it go goes and trys to index (most of the time it never completes). All I want to do is open the friggen directory! The specs on the machine are not bad, ie 2 gigs ram, 64 bit ok processor, so I really dont think it is the machine.

I think you're very, very confused. Indexing doesn't happen when you open a folder. Indexing happens in the background, you will never notice it happening, and it has absolutely no effect on opening a folder, ever. The only thing that's likely being done when you open a folder is thumbnailing, and the contents of the folder will be shown first, then thumbnails will come in as they're ready (if they aren't already cached).

By default, the only directories included in the indexing scope are the user profiles. You should leave this on, as the Vista user experience is built around the indexer. Disabling core system components are only going to cause you problems.

It's possible you have an add-in, spyware, anti-virus, or some other bad shell extension that is causing you problems during folder browsing. Folder browing on a machine of your specs in Vista is instantaneous.

Yeah, sure there's a few problems with Vista, but for the most part it's a solid improvement on XP IMO.

I use it on all my PCs as the only OS, and am very happy - and don't really have any problems.

I find it better than XP, and XP rocks.

I can understand people who have lower spec machines hating Vista though.

And then my second favourite refresh in the explorer. This bug has been around probaby since 95. You do something in another program, say winzip that writes files to the system, you go to file explorer and the files are not there. hmm. refresh required. And of course not every time, just sometimes. You would have thought they could have solved this problem by now.

That is not an explorer bug. Folder contents do not need to be manually refreshed.

If you're having problems like that, it's WinZip (or another shell extension's) fault, not Windows.

I love vista. Huge improvement over XP. Search, security, Superfetch, and Aero! Been useing it since it came out and it works a lot better than XP for me. Seen some small bugs but nothing huge and nothing to be alarmed over.

I was impressed with Vista's Aero to begin with, but having seen BEYRL on Ubuntu the "WOW" factor has turned into the "MEH" factor.