Satisfied Vista Users

you might be right. But I was experiencing this on a fresh install. no virus protector, or anything else installed. All I have to do is turn the index service on go to a folder that is deep ( I do mean a non trivial directory structure here, ie tens of thousands of directorys) and try to open the directory in the explorer. The place where the file path was, is replaced with a progress bar which in many many circumstances never finishes. The little round and round cursor goes on forever. When I turn off the service and tell a directory it should not be indexed, most of the time it is ok.

Im a very satisfied Vista User, iv had no problems since beta 2 no lag no BSOD nothing at all its fine when playing videos or music i get 1% CPU Usage, Firefox kicks it up abit but im not complaining its only up to 10% soo...

The only real issues I've experienced are those caused by drivers. And that is NOT a Vista issue, rather an issue of the driver itself. It's up to the manufacturer of a given product to make it's driver(s) "Vista-compatible", Not Microsoft's job to make Vista "driver-compatible".

Other than that, Vista has been solid as a rock. Outperforming XP SP2 hands down.

odd, I get a blue screen at least every day. Sometimes even just after a restart. The little thingy that searches for "solutions" half the time doesnt even return a result. When it does it blames the one board graphics card.

It doesn't always return solutions immediately. It sends reports to Microsoft, and they figure out what's wrong.

If it's complaining that your graphics card is screwing over your system, Odds are, it is.

I was impressed with Vista's Aero to begin with, but having seen BEYRL on Ubuntu the "WOW" factor has turned into the "MEH" factor.

The effects on Beryl may be impressive, but you have to remember two things. Most people who actually _use_ it turn it down. Shure, the sparkly shimmery and wobbly effects are cool and all, but have you ever tried to use a system with them for more than 5 minutes? Utterly unusable. In the end, I'd bet that 99% of the people who use beryl regularly have no more effects turned on than Vista has. Then you have to take into account the fact that it's pretty unstable. In the months I've been using Vista, I've only seen the Desktop compositor crash once (It was weird, and just the other day. Expression blend was closed, the process gone, but the window was still up, and dwm.exe crashed). I have a ton of friends who complain about Beryl's instability.

you might be right. But I was experiencing this on a fresh install. no virus protector, or anything else installed. All I have to do is turn the index service on go to a folder that is deep ( I do mean a non trivial directory structure here, ie tens of thousands of directorys) and try to open the directory in the explorer. The place where the file path was, is replaced with a progress bar which in many many circumstances never finishes. The little round and round cursor goes on forever. When I turn off the service and tell a directory it should not be indexed, most of the time it is ok.

I'm right, I helped write it after all ;)

If you're seeing the progress bar during regular folder browsing (ie. no filters or complex sorting / grouping / stacking) then something is wrong. The complexity of the hierarchy underneath really doesn't matter. In fact, that sort of folder browsing is largely unchanged from XP.

It's possible, if you have a program like Nero or a busted codec installed, that it is crashing the thumbnail generation and causing the problem. Or if you have a non-Vista compatible program like Adobe Reader before version 8.0.

If you're doing a more complex query like sorting by non-standard metadata, applying a filter (through the search box or the column-header-filters), or grouping/stacking... then things are going to be slower, especially with the Windows Search service disabled.

I'm another satisfied Vista user. Everything that I use runs on it, and Vista great runs on my 2+ year old computer. (XP 2800+, 1GB RAM, nV Quadro2 Pro). I run it on my main machine, which I use for everything but gaming.

Or if you have a non-Vista compatible program like Adobe Reader before version 8.0.

Phft. Don't discount Adobe Reader 8 like that. I have the strange feeling that Windows gets slower just by having the installer sitting in the Downloads folder. You don't even have to install it for your computer to suffer.

I'm right, I helped write it after all ;)

If you're seeing the progress bar during regular folder browsing (ie. no filters or complex sorting / grouping / stacking) then something is wrong. The complexity of the hierarchy underneath really doesn't matter. In fact, that sort of folder browsing is largely unchanged from XP.

It's possible, if you have a program like Nero or a busted codec installed, that it is crashing the thumbnail generation and causing the problem. Or if you have a non-Vista compatible program like Adobe Reader before version 8.0.

If you're doing a more complex query like sorting by non-standard metadata, applying a filter (through the search box or the column-header-filters), or grouping/stacking... then things are going to be slower, especially with the Windows Search service disabled.

Like I said this was on a fresh install. The first thing I did was copy over this directory from my old xp box. What was I greeted with, a twirling cursor and a progress bar when I tried to open the directory. I sat back and waited and waited and waited and then started to swear. It boggles my mind how this problem could be third party related. I am clutching at straws here now, but the only thing that is "different" about my vista version is that it is in german. That brings me to my next gripe, windows seems to be the only programs these days where you cant switch languages.

Like I said this was on a fresh install. The first thing I did was copy over this directory from my old xp box. What was I greeted with, a twirling cursor and a progress bar when I tried to open the directory. I sat back and waited and waited and waited and then started to swear. It boggles my mind how this problem could be third party related. I am clutching at straws here now, but the only thing that is "different" about my vista version is that it is in german. That brings me to my next gripe, windows seems to be the only programs these days where you cant switch languages.

Why can't you switch languages?

Had the files finished copying from the other drive?

of course the files had finished. I can still reproduce this problem.

Can you switch languages? Maybe I have just been misinformed.

I found that if you have Norton AntiVirus and Vista, it takes MUCH longer to do any kind of file copying/extraction.

The effects on Beryl may be impressive, but you have to remember two things. Most people who actually _use_ it turn it down. Shure, the sparkly shimmery and wobbly effects are cool and all, but have you ever tried to use a system with them for more than 5 minutes? Utterly unusable. In the end, I'd bet that 99% of the people who use beryl regularly have no more effects turned on than Vista has. Then you have to take into account the fact that it's pretty unstable. In the months I've been using Vista, I've only seen the Desktop compositor crash once (It was weird, and just the other day. Expression blend was closed, the process gone, but the window was still up, and dwm.exe crashed). I have a ton of friends who complain about Beryl's instability.

As a Beryl user, I have some things to say. You are right about toning down the effects. Mostly what i have turned on is the "fade" effect for my menus, and some cool minimize effects for my windows. The true power in Beryl is the ability to multitask efficiently (multiple desktops that can be switched by scrolling the mouse wheel). Or how about the zoom feature that allows you to instantly zoom on anything (Watch the videos. Super functional). And best of all, its stable. The latest release has zero bugs. The only thing that crashes on my computer is X (once every couple days) and only because I use the beta Nvidia drivers by choice. I've used both Beryl and Aero. Aero may be more complete looking but Beryl is much more usable.

I found that if you have Norton AntiVirus and Vista, it takes MUCH longer to do any kind of file copying/extraction.

Is that really the reason why? I've found that deleting a large file (or amount of files) takes a long time, as does copying. I'm using SAV 10.2 Corp and I'd be interested to know whether or not this is causing its sluggishness.

And then my second favourite refresh in the explorer. This bug has been around probaby since 95. You do something in another program, say winzip that writes files to the system, you go to file explorer and the files are not there. hmm. refresh required. And of course not every time, just sometimes. You would have thought they could have solved this problem by now.

That actually has been fixed in Vista... you are still seeing that?

Honestly just not that impressed. It works, its slightly prettier than XP. On the downside its slower, everything is more buried away, stuff like the new network setup is just an absolute minefield, and hardware support seems pretty flaky. I've had so many problems with soundcard drivers - and the irony is they have always been drivers that Windows Update has reccommended / supplied me!

Don't go beserk at me for those who love it.. this is just my experience of it on the variety of machines i've tried it on since getting it late last year (corporate / enterprise user).

yup.

Do you have the DreamScene beta installed? They have some known issues that affect a few people regarding refreshing (especially of the desktop, but it can affect other folders as well). But that's why it's a beta.

Do you have the DreamScene beta installed? They have some known issues that affect a few people regarding refreshing (especially of the desktop, but it can affect other folders as well). But that's why it's a beta.

nope, never heard of it.

very very satosfied vista user here...

I hada dodgy machine which caused me a world of pain, but have had a very enjoyable experience since I RMA'd it.

of course the files had finished. I can still reproduce this problem.

Do all folders have that problem or just one? It could be a corrupted file, disk problem, etc. Hard to know.

Can you switch languages? Maybe I have just been misinformed.

Which SKU are you running? For full MUI support you need to be on Ultimate or Enterprise.

nope, never heard of it.

It's one of the Ultimate Extras that shows up in Windows Update if you're running Ultimate.

I'm more than satisfied with Windows Vista. It works flawlessly on my notebook, the power management options and Windows Mobility Center are by far one of my most favorite things about having Windows Vista on a notebook computer. Another one of my favorite features is the Search capabilities and especially Start Search, it just makes life so much easier.

Do all folders have that problem or just one? It could be a corrupted file, disk problem, etc. Hard to know.

Which SKU are you running? For full MUI support you need to be on Ultimate or Enterprise.

It's one of the Ultimate Extras that shows up in Windows Update if you're running Ultimate.

all folders seem to have the problem, but it is cleary more apparent on folders that are deeper.

Ok well then language depends on my distro. didnt know that, thanks, I have home premium. retailer clearly told me that changing languages was not an option.

I'm very happy with vista, asside from the minor issue i had with it the other day i've not had any problems at all.

All my problems have been with other companys, Nvidia, Creative, EA Games etc etc. However everyone seams content to blame microsoft for other companys problems.

If vista was just XP 2 then it'd be a pointless upgrade.