Satisfied Vista Users

Have been very happy with Vista untill one week ago, when I suddenly started getting BSODs uncontrollable. Have reformatted several times and the only thing which seems to make my computer run properly is installing XP. I thought that it was hardware faults or something, but since XP seems to be running just fine, I really can't see that it's any HW errors. Problems occur both in 64 and 32 bits version.

Overall I'm satisfied -- initally there were of course driver isses and application problems (Nero for example) but, it seems like those have all since been resolved.

Athlon X2 3800+

MSI GeForce 7800GT

2GB Ram

Vista Ultimate

hey,

Im Very happy with Vista..never going back to xp...i have a fix for the slow file transfer found it here a few days ago...can't remeber source..sorry

Solved.

Go to the Control Panel

Open Programs and Features

Click on " Turn windows features on or off" on the left side of the panel

Uncheck "Remote Differential Compression"

or

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/931770

i purchased vista for $249.99 CDN (the OEM ultimate version) and i must say, it's been worth every penny.

i'm going to get flammed for this, but here goes nothing.

Windows XP was a headache for me. i had XP pro (no service pack) and i could never connect to the internet on a fresh install.. so i had to keep a burned copy of SP1 and SP2 on cd.. that was for people without internet.

let me tell you, it sucked every fresh install i got. I have never had so many BSOD's and errors since windows ME.

Vista has not given me a single BSOD, graphics error, unsupportive hardware... i don't know what everyone is bitching about, vista computability for me is 100% so far.

Sure i had my run-in with this blue-tooth adapter that was only made for windows XP, but i found a work around

My biggest grip when I used it was that Superfetch sometimes fails to release the memory back to the system when it's needed and that results in out of memory errors for simple tasks like copying files.

I've been using Vista since November, and I've got to say that while I'm over-all satisifed with it I keep running into different bugs that just irk the hell out of me. One of the biggest issues I have/have seen is the fact that when attempting to connect to a computer on the work group, if you don't get the password right the first time you're basically SOL.

One bug I just ran into yesterday in the office while installing Anarchy Online was that after about 3 patches, the entire desktop will disappear. Everything will still be running, however there's no start menu nor icons. Attempting to restart Explorer does nothing, and the only way to get it all back is to either log out or shutdown completely and start back up.

i purchased vista for $249.99 CDN (the OEM ultimate version) and i must say, it's been worth every penny.

i'm going to get flammed for this, but here goes nothing.

Windows XP was a headache for me. i had XP pro (no service pack) and i could never connect to the internet on a fresh install.. so i had to keep a burned copy of SP1 and SP2 on cd.. that was for people without internet.

let me tell you, it sucked every fresh install i got. I have never had so many BSOD's and errors since windows ME.

Vista has not given me a single BSOD, graphics error, unsupportive hardware... i don't know what everyone is bitching about, vista computability for me is 100% so far.

Sure i had my run-in with this blue-tooth adapter that was only made for windows XP, but i found a work around

Or you could have saved yourself a hell of a lot of trouble and just created a slipstreamed XP Pro disk.

I just don't get it. Vista compatibility is 100% for you one second, then a second later you say you had a problem with a bluetooth adapter that required a work around. Which is it, or do you know understand that concept of percentages?

That doesn't mean Vista's not going to have service packs...

I actually do like vista, and all my programs work fine in it, but there's too much customization you lose when you transfer from XP to Vista. I'm leaving it in my second partition for now.

Or you could have saved yourself a hell of a lot of trouble and just created a slipstreamed XP Pro disk.

I just don't get it. Vista compatibility is 100% for you one second, then a second later you say you had a problem with a bluetooth adapter that required a work around. Which is it, or do you know understand that concept of percentages?

the device was years old, and not designed for vista. It was a quick work around and works for vista now with a new driver update. thus it still works, and is still compatible.. thus all my hardware is 100% compatible with vista

That doesn't mean Vista's not going to have service packs...

I actually do like vista, and all my programs work fine in it, but there's too much customization you lose when you transfer from XP to Vista. I'm leaving it in my second partition for now.

but when xp is first installed, from the original disc, it doesn't have the proper drivers for my Ethernet. So i couldn't install any updates, thats without SP1 and SP2.. so i was unable to connect to anything, leaving me with one expensive piece of bull s***

Deleting and moving files.... it takes FOREVER.

Acessing computer management, its manager, etc... require extra clicks and takes up time.

The file transfer problem has been identified and is part of a MS KB article with an associated patch.

The KB Article can be found here: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/931770

Some releated KB articles can be found at http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/932170/en-us

--ScottKin

hey,

Im Very happy with Vista..never going back to xp...i have a fix for the slow file transfer found it here a few days ago...can't remeber source..sorry

Solved.

Go to the Control Panel

Open Programs and Features

Click on " Turn windows features on or off" on the left side of the panel

Uncheck "Remote Differential Compression"

or

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/931770

Ya beat me to it, blade1269 - I should have checked before I just posted about KB931770.

--ScottKin

I agree with most everyone else here, I have been super happy with Vista, I can't stand going back to an XP machine.

I just reformatted and reinstalled everything the other day because of a weird Photoshop issue, but I copied my personal files, reformatted, isntalled windows/updates and all my software in about 3 hours, XP would have been quite a bit longer.

Love the simple detail of when you rename a file it only selects the name and not the .extention, sooo handy.

Certainly there are a few things that annoy me still, like not being able to attach the quick launch bar to the side of my screen like I could in XP :(

Overall a great experience with Vista, can't wait for the next version of windows though, now that you have MS Expression Studio to develop with.

Zebb.

My biggest grip when I used it was that Superfetch sometimes fails to release the memory back to the system when it's needed and that results in out of memory errors for simple tasks like copying files.

Umm, no?

Do you have your pagefile turned off or something?

i am satisfied with vista then again i am a rather advanced windows user so i can make anything work for me. if a program does not work on vista i simply decompile it and fix it so that it does or just make a patch for it or something. but i have had no problems what so ever with vista so far other than the fact it is always telling me that its not genuine till i connect to the net. lol. but its not very bothersome at all.

Very satisfied with Vista. Driver support has been great so no problems on that front. Turning off UAC was not a problem quite simple actually. No need for tweaking anything other than except Windows Updates and such. All my programs run fine in vista and never ever crash. I has alot of BSODs in the early days but that was due to ATI drivers and nothing else.

Umm, no?

Umm, yes!

Do you have your pagefile turned off or something?

When I was using Vista I did not disable the pagefile or anything else system related. Superfetch was not releasing the ram when it was needed. Running out of memory to copy 50 megs worth of files is rediculous. If it weren't for the fact that I had that problem with Vista, I'd still be using it. It does have some nice features but until some of the more critical bugs are worked out I'll stick with XP until Windows 7.

Most of my problems are 64 bit driver related and a lot of IE crashes which Microsoft Solution Center has said it was one of my add-ons, I just haven't figured out which one yet. I also have the annoying problem shockz described. I read another thread about the same problem and someone mentioned that Microsoft had a hotfix, but you had to call them to obtain it?

Edited by MchWalte

Deleting and moving files.... it takes FOREVER.

Acessing computer management, iis manager, etc... require extra clicks and takes up time.

There is a patch for that copying/moving bug , but it is not available through automatic updates.

Certainly there are a few things that annoy me still, like not being able to attach the quick launch bar to the side of my screen like I could in XP :(

Open the parent folder of QuickLaunch and drag the Quicklaunch folder to the side of the screen. You can do that in XP as well but Brandon had to remind me.

I hate the new folder and photo thumbnails in Vista. It's one of the major contributions to the slowness of the interface; especially the folder thumbnails which are usually unnecessary and show less detail than the XP style thumbs. In XP we had small thumbs.db files that would load relatively quickly but now it has to open thumbnails from giant indexes that can be hundreds of megabytes. I can't believe anyone finds them in any way faster.

Programs like task scheduler and Event Viewer have more details and functions but they are so slow and kludgy. The old event viewer sort of works but some fields are missing in the list view.

well I used to be getting random bsods but they seem to have gone away now I increased my page file size as I read recommended at another forum. no idea why it worked though could just be getting lucky right now.

Umm, yes!

When I was using Vista I did not disable the pagefile or anything else system related. Superfetch was not releasing the ram when it was needed. Running out of memory to copy 50 megs worth of files is rediculous. If it weren't for the fact that I had that problem with Vista, I'd still be using it. It does have some nice features but until some of the more critical bugs are worked out I'll stick with XP until Windows 7.

There's a rare bug where copying files can give an "out of resources" type error, I think it was related to certain IDE or RAID drivers. That has absolutely nothing to do with running out of memory, or SuperFetch.

It's not possible for SuperFetch to "not release the RAM when it was needed."

I'm 100% happy with my windows Vista Ultimate! Picked it up the day it was released, installed and never looked bacl! I just love Aero ;)