Satisfied Vista Users

Guest xiphi

I have Windows Vista on both my desktop and laptop and have had a great experience with it. I've even "WOW'ed" my mom with it. I love its ease of use and the new interface. Vista's new network diagnostics has also "WOW'ed" me a few times, too!

I'll never go back to XP. :)

BoDEAN
There is a patch for that copying/moving bug , but it is not available through automatic updates.

Do you have a URL?

Ironman273

I'm also very happy running Vista Home Premium. I'm running on a homebuilt Core Duo system with 2Gb of RAM and an ATI X1800. I'm glad I'm running an ATI. I think nVidia is causing a lot of headaches with the lack of good drivers.

Anyways, no looking back for me.

A poll would be interesting in this thread to see the percentage of bad vs. good experiences.

Laughing Man

I've had relatively positive experiences with Vista on my laptop..though it took some tweaking (removing UAC, restoring the real admin account, etc..). There are still some bugs too..my VAIO has a built in camera and occasionally it keeps telling me that it's in use by another program (which it's not). I haven't found a way to fix it without restarting, and a google search determined that it's actually a problem in Vista. But there's a patch for it that you can ask Microsoft for, or wait to the first service pack to come out.

But yeah..just some things that annoy me. Overall I'm alright with it.

Flummery
Open the parent folder of QuickLaunch and drag the Quicklaunch folder to the side of the screen. You can do that in XP as well but Brandon had to remind me.

I hate the new folder and photo thumbnails in Vista. It's one of the major contributions to the slowness of the interface; especially the folder thumbnails which are usually unnecessary and show less detail than the XP style thumbs. In XP we had small thumbs.db files that would load relatively quickly but now it has to open thumbnails from giant indexes that can be hundreds of megabytes. I can't believe anyone finds them in any way faster.

Programs like task scheduler and Event Viewer have more details and functions but they are so slow and kludgy. The old event viewer sort of works but some fields are missing in the list view.

Ohh sweet, I have my quick launch back like I used to, that totally makes my day, thank you very very much.

Zebb.

qkslvr221

100% satisfied Ultimate x64 user since 11/25/06

I admit, the driver issues were very frustrating for the first couple of months, but since the end of January, it has been nothing but a great experience.

The ONLY bugs/issues that I have now are occasionally, DWM will freak out and make all my windows act funny upon mouseover (like watching a mosaic moving) but a simple restart of explorer.exe fixes this immediately. Also, there seems to be an issue with the WLANconfig service that causes a ping spike every 60 seconds, and there is a third party solution for this.

The added aesthetics, features, and potential make Vista worth it in the end, for me. :)

Pikey

Vista working good here! .. even on my 4 year old box! .. a bit slow maybe ...

Only real gripe was the lack of decent sound drivers ...

I've tweaked a few things ... UAC turned off, booting straight into 'Administrator' account ... usual things ..

Specs

PCChips M810 mobo .. on-board SIS 7018 chip (Win2k drivers!!)

AMD XP 1400

512 mb ram

Nvidia Geforce 6200

3 x 80 gig hard drives

Liteon DVD writer

I don't play the latest games though, maybe if I did it would be different!

alternateshadow

98% Satisfied with Vista Ultimate. I would have liked to see the interface even more customizable and Windows Mail is (N), then again its being replaced by Windows Live Mail so these are my only complaints.

PGHammer
I'm right, I helped write it after all ;)

If you're seeing the progress bar during regular folder browsing (ie. no filters or complex sorting / grouping / stacking) then something is wrong. The complexity of the hierarchy underneath really doesn't matter. In fact, that sort of folder browsing is largely unchanged from XP.

It's possible, if you have a program like Nero or a busted codec installed, that it is crashing the thumbnail generation and causing the problem. Or if you have a non-Vista compatible program like Adobe Reader before version 8.0.

If you're doing a more complex query like sorting by non-standard metadata, applying a filter (through the search box or the column-header-filters), or grouping/stacking... then things are going to be slower, especially with the Windows Search service disabled.

Actually, the process that does all that has been included in the last two desktop (not server) versions of Windows. It's called the Indexing Service (and before that, it was Microsoft Index Server) and it was originally part of Windows NT *Server* 4.01; however, it hit the desktop with Windows 2000 Professional, and has been part of Windows ever since. The last two versions of Index Server were based on the Microsoft Jet database engine (the same one used to power Microsoft Access databases) and weren't linked into either the Find dialog box or the Run dialog box. Vista's developers fixed both seemingly-obvious errors; they changed the Indexing Service's foundation from Jet to the same database engine used by Microsoft SQL Server, and they linked the Indexing Service to a lot more of Explorer's features, in addition to the obvious ones such as Find and Run. Because I actually use the Run dialog box to launch applications and data files (and to feed URLs into my browsers) I can seriously give the new Indexing Service a bit of a workout (which is why I refuse to turn Windows Search, or the Indexing Service, off; it is FAR too useful a feature to willingly hobble). This is a feature that XP sorely lacks, and it is one major reason that I strongly recommend Vista on *capable hardware*.

98% Satisfied with Vista Ultimate. I would have liked to see the interface even more customizable and Windows Mail is (N), then again its being replaced by Windows Live Mail so these are my only complaints.

I am absolutely satisfied with Vista Ultimate (in a surprise to her, so is my Mom, and she has a LOT less PC than I do). I replaced Windows Mail with Microsoft Outlook 2K7 (my mail application of choice); my biggest quibble is that Outlook doesn't support NNTP cleanly (but that isn't a Vista problem).

stockwiz

fairly satisfied.. some delays in accessing folders but I suspect it's caused by the antivirus and not vista itself. No major problems beside lack of video card drivers... xp was a solid OS though and plenty good so it was hard to leave it.

Danrarbc

100% satisfied with Vista, only turned UAC off when installing my applications and now it's back on with no nagging.

Only 33% satisfied with nVidia and Creative though. Damn drivers.

jhaks

I like Vista too. There are a lot of nice features in Vista that make things much more productive. Especially like the admin features and new shell features. System restore which now uses volume shadow copy really does a great job when you run into incompatible software or an unstable driver. Overall Vista seems a lot more stable than XP and it is much easier to diagnose what is happening on the computer. What I would like to see though is for software and hardware vendors to start taking advantage of new underlying features in Vista. DX10 is an obvious example but there are a lot of other features like the WPF and the new networking features. Hopefully we'll see more new features being utilized in the future.

BTW I find it strange that so many people turn UAC off. After initial setup there really aren't much UAC prompts. I think the protection and awareness of the system that UAC provides are worth handling a prompt once in a while. Unless I'm accessing some system components, installing software, or using admin tools UAC never shows up.

DoubleThink

Vista is darn good. Better than Windows XP.

J_R_G

vistacopy.jpg

Long copy times are not vista related, I've never had slow copy speeds, might be mother board chipset drivers or broken antivirus programs. On the whole, vista is more stable, unstable programs cause less problems (crashed codecs no longer restart explorer for instance), far less 'death by a thousand bugs' in the interface like in XP,

security is so good it's become a non-issue, XP had 20 security exploits in it's first 90 days, OS X: 30, Vista: 2.

Protected mode IE greatly increases my general feeling of ease when surfing, and I have no fear of going anywhere on the web anymore, aero looks fantastic now that I've got used to it, and so on. I predict just like we heard 'win2k is better than xp' every day for the last 6 years, we'll hear it about XP, but now only like 6% of users are on win2k and the same is expected for XP, so it's just the vocal minority at it again. Some will have problems, of course, but that's true of any OS. Vista will rule computing, obviously, no matter how hard some try to stop it.

shockz

^ - I've got the slow copy issue... and I can copy fine on various other os'es including XP and Ubuntu. My motherboard isn't the issue.

J_R_G
^ - I've got the slow copy issue... and I can copy fine on various other os'es including XP and Ubuntu. My motherboard isn't the issue.

Maybe Vista's calculating is off for some reason for you? Try timing the copy with a clock, and divide the bytes by time, and see if it matches what Vista said.

J_R_G
The file transfer problem has been identified and is part of a MS KB article with an associated patch.

The KB Article can be found here: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/931770

Some releated KB articles can be found at http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/932170/en-us

--ScottKin

Ya beat me to it, blade1269 - I should have checked before I just posted about KB931770.

--ScottKin

I guess it is a vista bug, I've never seen it so I assumed it was the driver/antivirus issue some were having.

Brandon Live

Well the copy engine in Vista is actually significantly faster in most cases, and faster than just copying via the command-line usually. There are some big exceptions, though, like moving (which causes re-ACL'ing) especially within the same disk (it wastes some time calculating file sizes when the move should be instantaneous. But I think that's related to the re-ACL'ing). Anyway, I wouldn't be surprised to see some of those issues addressed sooner rather than later.

ManMountain

Vista is my primary OS. I am extremely pleased with it's stability and performance. Go back to XP? Don't make me laugh :)

BorgDrone

I also have the copy bug, i tried to move my 20GB music folder from one hard drive to another and it took about 10 minutes(The usual microsoft time estimate was showing 3-4 hours lol), when i reimaged my pc back to XP and tried the same thing it takes about 3-4 mins.

I'm pretty sure my transfer speed was down to about 10mb/sec as well.

As far as i'm concerned this is a showstopper bug, stayin with XP until thats fixed.

Obviously the beta testers missed this.

Shetland

It's a solid OS, my only real issue is with incompatibility - most of my needed apps are buggy in vista, a few have been patched up now to work but its gonna take some time before everything is 100% compatible.

3dsmax 10 here we come :-/

Quicktime bluescreens me, god thats annoying - had to switch to QTalternative.

I also get the file transfer slow speed bug.

HawkMan

More than satisfied, my only gripe is with 3DS max liek the guy above, but it works fine if I just disable the DWM inthe shortcut, otherwise the quad viewports seems to have problems working with the desktop composition. This isn't really MS fault though, rather how the viewports are coded, I was a bit dissapointed they didn't fix it in SP1 for MAX but I suspect it might require a bit more coding than an SP1.

But other than that I'm more than happy with Vista and would never go back to the stoneage of XP, if anythign I dislike the way explorer keeps resizing the width of the collumns in detail view.

midway40

Very satisfied here :)

Once some software companies updated their software for Vista, such as HP printer and Nokia PC suite, I am now back to the usability I had with XP.

But, as mentioned many times, the only thing lacking is good Creative and Nvidia drivers. I have Alchemy running for my X-Fi but EAX doesn't sound as good as it did in XP (7.1 Surround).

I really can't see me going back to XP either. It would be like going back to Win98 from XP, lol.

spacesurfer

I'm not that satisfied with Vista, despite that it's stable on my system. Lot's of annoyances and buts that really *bug* me.

In terms of performance, XP is snappy because it requires less RAM, etc.

I really can't figure out what is the advantage of Vista over XP. I can pretty much do everything in XP that I can do in Vista. Moreover, there are probably some things I can't do in Vista that I can in XP b/c of compatibility.

Ironman273
I'm not that satisfied with Vista, despite that it's stable on my system. Lot's of annoyances and buts that really *bug* me.

In terms of performance, XP is snappy because it requires less RAM, etc.

I really can't figure out what is the advantage of Vista over XP. I can pretty much do everything in XP that I can do in Vista. Moreover, there are probably some things I can't do in Vista that I can in XP b/c of compatibility.

It might help if you were a little more specific. What problems are you having exactly?