Satisfied Vista Users

Crono21

Ive had a new computer with Vista Home Premium for about a week, and a half now. Love it so much its been perfect no problems.. Just takes getting used to.

MtnDewCodeRedFreak

I, too, am 100% satisfied with Vista. All my programs are Vista-compatible now (including the Lexmark printer, which they released the drivers for it last week - yippee!).

On Vista Business 32-bit here, but I'll upgrade to Ultimate next month. I can't wait!

I still have XP Pro, which ran just fine on this computer; same with Server 2003 R2. I use Vista just abt as much as I use XP/2003 as I need those for older apps.

NEVER85

Took another plunge into Vista, after using vLite to cut out all the fat (got the ISO from 2.6 GB to 883 MB), and I've been satisfied since then. Vista seems just as fast, if not faster, than a slimmed down XP. Can't see myself returning to XP now.

KiwiNZ

I had Vista on my main PC , (A core 2 Duo 6600, 2gig ram ,7900GS graphics), I have gone back to XP .Vista was just not a quick as XP .Everything just seemed sluggish.

Vista is a sweet looking OS with some really good features. But why have a really fast PC and slow it down with the OS.

Googintosh

I'm not displeased, but I'm not particularly satisfied either. If I want to experience a "wow" factor as seen on the Vista advertisements, I need to use the Macs at work.

^ - I've got the slow copy issue... and I can copy fine on various other os'es including XP and Ubuntu. My motherboard isn't the issue.

Ditto.

sMiK

can't use it cause drivers for my Audiophile 2496 do not exist for vista yet, and,, i have 1GB of ram at 667mhz, wasn't very happy with it's performance

gtho

I made the switch from XP MCE to Vista Ultimate on my laptop about two months ago. I must admit I updated purely because I love haveing the newest and best but to be honest I see no real advantages at the moment.

Althoug Vista has a few better extras such as bitlocker, backup and better search, I still find myself using the old tools I used on XP, eg Acronis True Image 10.

Cons: The wow factor definetely doesn't exist, the blue screens I occassionally get and the Aero going mad on me, I also hate my performance index being 3.7 just because of my Video Card (ATI Mob. x1400 256).

Pros: Search folders, Search in General. Some improvements in the add remove menus (I can hit unistall and then close the add remove) and Windows Update is better.

To be honest I don't see many advantages, I feel that my PC was faster under XP and finally the fact that my desktop which is a P4 3.00 Overclocked 3.4 with 512ram feels faster with XP than my labtop does with a Duo Core 2.00 2024ram running vista.

Yusuf M.

Windows Vista looks really bad on my CRT monitor. And some of my drivers are buggy. I uninstalled it and reinstalled Windows XP. Now everything works the way it should.

jesseinsf
I made the switch from XP MCE to Vista Ultimate on my laptop about two months ago. I must admit I updated purely because I love haveing the newest and best but to be honest I see no real advantages at the moment.

Althoug Vista has a few better extras such as bitlocker, backup and better search, I still find myself using the old tools I used on XP, eg Acronis True Image 10.

Cons: The wow factor definetely doesn't exist, the blue screens I occassionally get and the Aero going mad on me, I also hate my performance index being 3.7 just because of my Video Card (ATI Mob. x1400 256).

Pros: Search folders, Search in General. Some improvements in the add remove menus (I can hit unistall and then close the add remove) and Windows Update is better.

To be honest I don't see many advantages, I feel that my PC was faster under XP and finally the fact that my desktop which is a P4 3.00 Overclocked 3.4 with 512ram feels faster with XP than my labtop does with a Duo Core 2.00 2024ram running vista.

you should not overclock and you should have 2gig of ram or more for the "Superfetch" service to work better...since you don't have 2gig of ram then just disable the sidebar and the Superfetch service and you will be back to normal...and don't be stupid and do an upgrade to Vista. you should "Zero" write the hard drive and then do a clean install....If you only have the upgrade CD then do a clean install when you are in XP. Also keep in mind that MS works closely with nVidia not crappy ATI.

multimediatechy

just got vista yesterday on my new laptop - so far so good..had to download some driver updates thats the only gripe at the moment. I am running 2 Gig RAM and Home Premium - i have wireless network and can view folders from my desktop PC which runs XP so satisfied so far!

richardsim7

I LOVE Vista :D

-Rich-

gtho
you should not overclock and you should have 2gig of ram or more for the "Superfetch" service to work better...since you don't have 2gig of ram then just disable the sidebar and the Superfetch service and you will be back to normal...and don't be stupid and do an upgrade to Vista. you should "Zero" write the hard drive and then do a clean install....If you only have the upgrade CD then do a clean install when you are in XP. Also keep in mind that MS works closely with nVidia not crappy ATI.

Umm, I am running 2 gigs on my laptop, clean instal Vista

I am running 512ram on my desktop, running xp.

My point is that my Desktop, which has 1/4 of the ram of my labtop, but is running XP feels alot more responsive than my labtop which is more powerful but is running Vista, PS that does not include the startup times as vista is way faster on boot. I am sure that if I turn off all the bells and whistles in Vista that would not be the case, but what's the point in that.

J_R_G

-Rich-

Vista has a LOT to love. :)

Quillz

-Rich-

As do I. I use Windows Vista Ultimate on my laptop, and it's the only Windows OS I'd ever use. I don't think I could ever go back to XP. Vista works perfectly for me, and at the end of the day, that's all that matters to me.

daniel_rh

Happy with Vista, as an User, as a Developer, as a Designer, as a Gamer... Of course is not the "perfect" OS but I consider is better than XP

PT 13

I used to not like vista because it was slow, and the extras were useless for me...

Today I still think the extras are useless but since I got my ASUS G1 (Core 2 Duo 2.0 GHz, 2 GB Ram, 7700 nVidia, 160Gb Sata) laptop Vista performs so much better than XP.

In my laptop I get up to 980 FPS on UT2k4 on Vista :o thats much more (about 10 times) that I really need so I'll stick with Vista on my laptop

PS: I got this laptop/Vista mainly for gaming (UT2k4 mainly) and for my programming class in University and so far it performs excellent on both aspects

Hooya

Vista is more stable for me on this system. Never yet a BSOD that wasn't purely my fault (don't ask) and that wasn't totally fixable. XP would BSOD on me all the time randomly with this machine although I had no problems with my last machine.

Quillz
I used to not like vista because it was slow, and the extras were useless for me...

Today I still think the extras are useless but since I got my ASUS G1 (Core 2 Duo 2.0 GHz, 2 GB Ram, 7700 nVidia, 160Gb Sata) laptop Vista performs so much better than XP.

In my laptop I get up to 980 FPS on UT2k4 on Vista :o thats much more (about 10 times) that I really need so I'll stick with Vista on my laptop

PS: I got this laptop/Vista mainly for gaming (UT2k4 mainly) and for my programming class in University and so far it performs excellent on both aspects

You make a good point. I think a lot of people who aren't satisfied with Vista tried running it on older hardware that could handle XP well enough. So, of course, since they just barely met the minimum system requirements, it didn't run so well. I think if you have newer hardware, most people will see that Vista runs much better, since it manages memory and system resources far better than XP.

phunkymunky

Am very happy with it......now I have 2gig of ram :)

Was running Ultimate for a while, but since left the company whose license I was using. Now running Home Premium.

Apart from an issue with the MS Wireless Desktop 7000 mouse and keyboard, it's great.

Not a big PC gamer anymore (not since my 360 purchase) so the 6800GT is working well. Civilization 4 works well.

DigitalE

I'm definitely happy with Vista as of now. :) Much better than XP

Mordkanin
Windows Vista looks really bad on my CRT monitor. And some of my drivers are buggy. I uninstalled it and reinstalled Windows XP. Now everything works the way it should.

Probably because ClearType is enabled by default, and only works on LCD monitors (it causes rainbow stuff around all your text on CRTs)

You make a good point. I think a lot of people who aren't satisfied with Vista tried running it on older hardware that could handle XP well enough. So, of course, since they just barely met the minimum system requirements, it didn't run so well. I think if you have newer hardware, most people will see that Vista runs much better, since it manages memory and system resources far better than XP.

That's part of Vista's problem - even with the 3D accelerated UI, you almost need 2GB of RAM and new CPU just to get all out of it.

I really like Vista, and I run it on an AGP A64 3000+ with a gig of RAM and 6800, but this is really the first time I really wish I had 2GB. It still boots and shuts down faster than XP, and other than games, it runs better or about the same as XP in other tasks.

Maybe it's a good thing I'm looking at a new laptop.

Tantawi

A happy Vista user here, never going back to XP.

PGHammer
Probably because ClearType is enabled by default, and only works on LCD monitors (it causes rainbow stuff around all your text on CRTs)

The *rainbow effect* is not the case on all (or even most) CRTs; that effect is purely driver-specific (I've never run Vista, or XP for that matter, for any extended period with ClearType turned off (I had it turned on in XP, and leave it turned on in Vista Ultimate), and I don't have that issue, and I have a CRT that dates back to 1998). At what resolution (and using what display driver) did you notice the rainbow effect (also, what CRT were you using?)?

ClearType is the direct descendant of Font Smoothing, which dates back to Windows 95 (and I have *always* activated it) and its Plus! Pack (it was later released as a free add-on for Windows 95, while Windows NT 4.0x and Windows 98 and later included it). Usually, what I have found personally is that the *rainbow effect* occurs when you are not running a display (either LCD or CRT) at an optimal resolution/refresh-rate combination (this used to be quite common in Windows XP when you had the 60 Hz refresh-rate bug and had your desktop at 1024x768; it's also common when running LCDs in analog mode). I run my 17" CRT at 1280x960 (its designed ceiling) at a 60 Hz (NI) refresh rate.

gshapiro

I am extremely happy with Vista Ultimate. Much faster then XP IMO. First thing I did was disable UAC. What a PITA.