Satisfied Vista Users

PnP

I am extremely happy with Vista Ultimate x64. Much faster then XP and work with 4 gb of ram :)

null_
I am extremely happy with Vista Ultimate x64. Much faster then XP and work with 4 gb of ram :)

It is nice to see that people are having a good experience even with the 64-bit editions of Windows Vista :)

PnP

yes my system spec such asus p5b deluxe and intel conroe e6600 with 2 hd raptor 150gb sata 10000 raid0 work good.. work good also x32 version but i want to use all my ram :)

I also try xp64 but have much crash.. xp32 its too old :D

Invizibleyez

So far the only problems I have had have been with unusable hardware, and dreamscene. I would definitely recommend not using dreamscene just yet, even though I love the lavaflow dreamscene. Dreamscene does tend to crash or even "Lockup" my computer. I haven't seen a genuine lockup in a long time, but with Vista Ultimate 64 and dreamscene, I have had several. I will disable dreamscene and continue testing, but so far so good.

null_
So far the only problems I have had have been with unusable hardware, and dreamscene. I would definitely recommend not using dreamscene just yet, even though I love the lavaflow dreamscene. Dreamscene does tend to crash or even "Lockup" my computer. I haven't seen a genuine lockup in a long time, but with Vista Ultimate 64 and dreamscene, I have had several. I will disable dreamscene and continue testing, but so far so good.

Are you using a NVIDIA-based graphics card by any chance? There are several issues with NVIDIA's drivers and DreamScene acting flaky and having unexpected behavior.

Chester0

I've used Vista since build 4008 i think it was, until a month ago.

Back to XP now - better gaming, faster (for me), hardware accelerated sound, better divers.

I miss some nice Vista goodies tho but i found out you can add most (if not all) Vista goodies using 3-party applications.

Malisk

I think I'm satisfied by now. :)

I don't have the copy problem either, and Vista's copying is indeed clearly faster than XP's as it was intended to be, at least for me.

Actually, it's still sometimes quite shocking how fast it can be. Is it using much larger read/write buffers perhaps?

beanboy89

I've used Vista in some form as my main OS for over six months now. In early December I installed Vista x86 RC1 onto my Athlon 64 X2. Everything ran pretty well, but as some of you may know, all pre-release versions of Vista expire at the end of the month, so I dished out $200 and bought an OEM copy of Vista Ultimate x64. I just installed it tonight. Everything seems flawless. Nearly all my drivers were detected by the installer except my sound card (which was found on Windows Update). All the software I've installed has worked well; Ive ran into no compatibility issues.

To sum it up, I'm very satisfied with Windows Vista.

null_
I think I'm satisfied by now. :)

I don't have the copy problem either, and Vista's copying is indeed clearly faster than XP's as it was intended to be, at least for me.

Actually, it's still sometimes quite shocking how fast it can be. Is it using much larger read/write buffers perhaps?

I notice file transfer operations are much faster than on Windows XP as well and have not encountered the "slow copy" issue, I'm wondering if it has to do with transactional NTFS.

benac

I liked Vista for the short time period I used it (A bit heavy for my notebook though), But i decided to swap back to XP.

I'm going to reinstall it and remove alot of the bloat, after I back up my steam games on my external HDD.

EduardValencia

I'll move soon to Vista,but i only have 1 Gig of ram,i'll need another Gig,and with my radeon x1300,it will be fine

ffpsx

I have been running Windows Vista for a few months and it runs great. Ill never be able to go back to XP...

.Markus
I've had relatively positive experiences with Vista on my laptop..though it took some tweaking (removing UAC, restoring the real admin account, etc..). There are still some bugs too..my VAIO has a built in camera and occasionally it keeps telling me that it's in use by another program (which it's not). I haven't found a way to fix it without restarting, and a google search determined that it's actually a problem in Vista. But there's a patch for it that you can ask Microsoft for, or wait to the first service pack to come out.

But yeah..just some things that annoy me. Overall I'm alright with it.

Dowload the latest MotionEye Camera drivers from Sony's vaio-link, that's compatible with Windows Vista. Worked like a charm on my Vaio!

Only grife I have at the moment is with the Nvidia graphics drivers, that leaves me unable to play many games unfortunately...

*RedBull*

I'm seeing really nice things about Vista, basically improvements over XP. Then some things aren't quite up to par yet. I think over time Vista will completely own XP hands down. Currently however, it's a give and take. I can't say I'm completely happy yet, but give it time.

Marcel T

I've been running it on my notebook for 3 months and I'm pretty happy with it. Not amazed by it over XP but I find it very capable. My notebook isn't exactly highly spec'ed either (Turion 2GHZ 64-bit DC, 1GB RAM, 128 MB shared GFX) and runs Vista just fine, even under load using Aero (trans at max) with my 24" hooked in it can pull Flip 3D cleanly.

After initially grabbing the few latest drivers for various components on my notebook (display, bluetooth, wifi and sound etc) I've had NO problems with Vista. I still keep XP Pro installed as a VM, mostly for web development (IE6) and other testing, but I enjoy using it now and then for old times sake.

ryanmcv

Been using it since it RTM'd last November... no major problems or crashes. Just a few annoyances that I've learned to live with.

smurphy999999999

I have had Vista for a week and so far had only three problems. 1. the old wireless card i used was imcompatible. But as this card was 5 years old i expected this and so it doesnt really make me upset. 2. Have had problems with video codecs. I have total faith that this will get fixed in the first big patch. 3. 5.1 speakers dont work except when the speaker fill option is selected, unfortunately this causes the minimum volume to be kind of high. This I also have faith will be fixed in the first big patch. Other than that it works great.

On a side note i would say that most people who complain about Vista complain because they dont like the idea of having to have a graphics card, having to have 2 gigs or more ram and so on. They fear change that was inevitable.

r47xdy88

Using Vista since beta 1 and i am satisfied with the final product (though its not all it started as)

daniel_rh

I've installed Vista Home Premium in my Dad's laptop with no problem yesterday, its run very well! I was worried because HP doesn't have support for Vista in this laptop model but everything ran as expected.

Laptop specs: HP Pavilion ZD8000

- CPU Pentium IV 3Ghz w/HT

- ATI Mobility Radeon X600 w/128mb

- 1GB of RAM

- HD 100GB 5400rpm SATA

Helba

Honestly, I am perfectly satisfied. I've been running Ultimate for about two or three weeks now. I've only had very minor problems. One was a driver issue with my USB WiFi adapter. I had to use XP drivers to get it to work, but it's fine. I also don't like the horridly long transfer times and whatnot. I wish they had gone a different direction with Control Panels. Instead of consolidating them, there seem to be many more. That's a bit of a let-down.

The only other thing I can think of would be some program compatability issues; Cakewalk and Azureus have both had some issues, although Cakewalk's seem to have resolved themselves. I think everything using Java is sort of funked right at the moment. Also, going into and out of full screen mode in a game such as WoW can take a while because Vista gears down to Basic (and subsequently back up.)

However, it should be noted that I am running with a dated Pentium 4 and half a gig of RAM.

It should also be noted that performance in games like 2K4 and WoW are exactly the same as under XP.

We really like it around here.

PT 13

Ok found my first "problem" with vista...

I need to be able to program in C (not C++ or C# or ...)... does anybody know any software with I can do that in Vista??

I tried Dev-C++ but I cant compile my code... If anyone knows please PM me

Other than that Vista running on my laptop fully operational and faster in games than XP (flyby test of UT2k4 on several maps @ 1024x768) gave me a maximum of 1054 fps :D that's good enough for me

IMO people with newer hardware (Intel Core Duo/Core 2 Duo/Core Quad or equivalent and more than 1.5 GB of ram) should all try Vista because it is much faster than xp

• 2 weeks later...
cork1958

I can't believe for a minute that after all the delays and stuff with Vista, they actually released such a POS! I have 2 Vista systems now and hate both of them. Half of MS's own stuff won't install or work if it does install. Third party apps are still hit and miss. Sure as heck am glad I didn't pay for this crap and no, it's not a pirated version either.

Very close to the edge of wiping Vista from both machines and installing XP back on them.

Co-ords
Very close to the edge of wiping Vista from both machines and installing XP back on them.

Exactly what I did... I was a tester, and received a free copy end of last year. I used it for a while, but have gone back to XP SP2. Faster and stable. MS can keep all their bells and whistles! At least if Vista gets better after SP1 I can go back and try again LOL!

ThisSiteHasLostItsCharm

I'm very satisfied, vista has grown on me (not literally, for those of a insane background might think otherwise) , i love everything about it, i even like the bsods in vista, as not one has actually forced me to format, with xp i used to get those dumb registry missing or corrupt or some other dumb bsod error and have to start again fresh.

vista = sexy os (again not literally) or maybe it is to some of you peeps? you know who you are!

dare i say it? vista F....no i can't bring myself to say that.

Malisk

I wrote earlier, but one more thing I really like is the steps MS has been taking with UAC and folder virtualization to encourage apps and users to use their home directories (C:\Users\) better. That's great if you in the future want to move your settings, for example. It's something *nix users have had all along this time, and finally Vista starts using that system too. Just say no to what's really user settings in application directories! :)

Oh and of course... C:\Users\<UserName>\Downloads... Most useful new standard directory MS has added in some time. :D It has completely replaced my Desktop as a download folder. :blush:

I can understand the trouble if people still have compatibility probs with Vista though. It's slowly improving as devs release patches, but sure, some may never get updated, like older apps. In that case, it's really as usual -- you simply need to use the OS that works best for what you want to do and what you ask of it. For me, as for Microsoft operating systems, it's Vista, for others it may be XP. :)