• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Satisfied Vista Users

Shaun N.    569

^^ I have just started using that Downloads folder as my Desktop was always so full of stuff I was yet to install or look at etc.

Very good addition I'd say :D

PGHammer    1,268
^^ I have just started using that Downloads folder as my Desktop was always so full of stuff I was yet to install or look at etc.

Very good addition I'd say :D

That is something I've had to set up *by hand* in Windows XP (not only on my own PC, but whenever I built or worked on one); that is one thing I am glad I no longer have to do! (Vista's installer automagically sets one up as part of the default folder list for each user; this is the case in every version from Home Basic to Ultimate. Now why couldn't Windows NT 4 have done that?)

Why am I picking on NT 4? Simple; NT 4 (especially Workstation) was the first truly Internet-friendly Microsoft operating system (despite Windows 95 being the launch point for Internet Explorer, it was NT4WS that really had both the tools *and* the stability to put the Internet to use right out of the box) as a client. (In fact, most of the Internet-related add-ins that Microsoft included with Windows 95's Service Release 2, including the Winsock2 TCP/IP stack improvements, were originally written for NT4WS.)