XM Suspends Opie and Anthony for 30 Days

McLEAN, Va. (AP) - XM Satellite Radio suspended shock jocks Opie and Anthony for 30 days Tuesday, one week after they aired crude sex comments about Condoleezza Rice, Laura Bush and Queen Elizabeth II and one day after they made light of the incident in their broadcast.

"Comments made by Opie and Anthony on yesterday's broadcast put into question whether they appreciate the seriousness of the matter," Washington-based XM said in a statement. "The management of XM Radio decided to suspend Opie and Anthony to make clear that our on-air talent must take seriously the responsibility that creative freedom requires of them."

Opie and Anthony, who last week apologized for the sex comments, struck a more defensive tone on Monday's broadcast. They lamented the state of radio and what they perceived as excessive reactions to comments made by themselves and other radio disc jockeys.

"We're under the same scrutiny as (National Public Radio)?it doesn't make sense," they said on Monday's show.

The pair also expressed sympathy for Don Imus, saying his career is now "gone, just because he was trying to entertain people."

Last month, cable network MSNBC dropped its simulcast of Imus' show, then CBS Radio fired him for using racist and sexist terms to describe the Rutgers women's basketball team.

On May 9, Opie and Anthony, whose full names are Greg "Opie" Hughes and Anthony Cumia, aired a segment with a man they call Homeless Charlie. As the names of Rice, Bush and the queen came up, Charlie said in vulgar terms that he would like to have sex with each of them.

Opie and Anthony laughed as they imagined Rice's "horror" while describing a violent sexual encounter in which Rice is punched in the face.

Opie and Anthony were fired by CBS Radio in 2002 after broadcasting a call from two listeners who said they were having sex in New York's St. Patrick's Cathedral.

XM hired the pair in 2004. Because the show airs on satellite radio, its content is not subject to regulation by the Federal Communications Commission.

Opie and Anthony also host a syndicated, tamer terrestrial radio program for CBS. Opie and Anthony will be on the air for that program as scheduled Wednesday morning, CBS Radio said Tuesday.

A call to Opie and Anthony's agent, Robert Eatman, was not immediately returned Tuesday.

A spokesman for XM Satellite Radio Holdings Inc. declined to say whether Opie and Anthony would be paid during their suspension, calling it a contractual matter.

Source

I agree with the comment about being under the same scrutiny as NPR. XM is the same thing as cable TV. 30 days suspension is ridiculous.

You'd think XM would've known what they were paying for when they hired O&A. I honestly don't give a hoot what they say, but it's pretty stupid when you pay someone to mow your lawn, then get mad when they cut it.

they did know exactly what they were paying for. i think a suspension is totally uncalled for. i personally pay to listen to them, and anyone who doesn't want to hear it can simply not subscribe to xm, change the channel, or have it blocked by xm. besides the whole thing was a homeless guy talking about that, and not them, they just commented about how nasty being screwed by homeless charlie would be.

Good, what they said was irresponsible and way over the line.

So on May 9th, did you call XM and complain that you were going to cancel your 12.95 Subscription for something 'irresponsible and over the line' that you heard on their XL (explicit language) channel?.... It was neither irresponsible or over the line, it's the type of humor that is to be expected on that particular program. I personally think it is disgusting that intrest groups are now running around and trying to tell listeners of these programs what is and is not funny. None of the people complaining listen on a regular basis they are just looking for ammo to help their agenda, so much for free speech! Agree or disagree, if people don't like this stuff they wont listen, they won't support sponsors and it will fail, people do not need to be told by talking heads what is acceptable and not acceptable.

peopleagainstcensorship.org

I love when there is a big news story with some particular person, and at the end of each article it says "calls to the agent were not returned."

In other words the columnist called about 100 times, left 100 messages, and got 0 callbacks...

This is totally unjustifiable bull****. We might put up with censorship on terrestrial airwaves but satellite radio was supposed to be better than that. For XM to suspend them for something ridiculous like this makes me not care to support that company. They shouldn't have even had to apologize. Their comments were not racist or sexist. Someone talked jokingly about having sex with public figures, I just can't understand the huge deal being made over free speech on airwaves that aren't regulated by FCC nazis.

This is totally unjustifiable bull****. We might put up with censorship on terrestrial airwaves but satellite radio was supposed to be better than that. For XM to suspend them for something ridiculous like this makes me not care to support that company. They shouldn't have even had to apologize. Their comments were not racist or sexist. Someone talked jokingly about having sex with public figures, I just can't understand the huge deal being made over free speech on airwaves that aren't regulated by FCC nazis.

Because XM and Sirius are wanting to keep on the good side of the FCC so that the proposed merger will go through. You don't think the FCC wants to regulate them also? Look for it to be a provision of the merger...

What they said was tasteless bull****, but that doesn't matter in the least. They are cocks and if you listen to them, you should know what to expect. People fight for white supremacists to be able to get their message out, but bitch when this comes along? I don't know how much that makes sense.

The fact that XM has stooped to this kind of self censorship is a joke and is laughable. I would hate to be someone who paid for that service expecting integrity.

That all said, I am happy they will be off air, as the blatant degradation of women is disgusting.

The fact that XM has stooped to this kind of self censorship is a joke and is laughable. I would hate to be someone who paid for that service expecting integrity.

QFT

Jesus, people need to loosen up. I've been considering an XM sub for quite a while. Looks like my mind has been made up for me. No way would I support this kind of censorship.

If this had been Nancy Pelosi, there would be no issue.

It would have been an issue with me. Talking about raping a women is no laughing matter, period!

I think XM had every right to pull the plug. It is after all their radio station.

So let me ask this, does anyone think people had the right to get so upset about Rush Limbaugh's comments about Donovan McNabb on ESPN back in 2003. Anyone who hires Limbaugh knows what they're getting. Of course the difference here is that he voluntarily resigned his position, but I'm sure he didn't actually do it voluntarily though.

I'm sure some of you aren't familiar with his comment, so here you go: "Sorry to say this, I don't think he's been that good from the get-go. I think what we've had here is a little social concern in the NFL. The media has been very desirous that a black quarterback do well. There is a little hope invested in McNabb, and he got a lot of credit for the performance of this team that he didn't deserve. The defense carried this team."

At the time of the comments, McNabb was the highest-paid NFL player in history, and had the NFL's lowest passer rating among starting quarterbacks that season. But of course people through those comments, which weren't racially motivated, way out of proportion and made it a race issue.

heh... all the more reason why i have sirius... i love the fact that howard stern can do those things and get away with it. In terms of what O&A said? I could care less... all the people in this administration are incredibly stupid so say what you want about them

It seems as though XM is facing serious backlash. A select few advertisers have canceled their XM support and, apparently, tons of subscribers are calling to cancel their accounts.

It would have been an issue with me. Talking about raping a women is no laughing matter, period!

I think XM had every right to pull the plug. It is after all their radio station.

So let me ask this, does anyone think people had the right to get so upset about Rush Limbaugh's comments about Donovan McNabb on ESPN back in 2003. Anyone who hires Limbaugh knows what they're getting. Of course the difference here is that he voluntarily resigned his position, but I'm sure he didn't actually do it voluntarily though.

I'm sure some of you aren't familiar with his comment, so here you go: "Sorry to say this, I don't think he's been that good from the get-go. I think what we've had here is a little social concern in the NFL. The media has been very desirous that a black quarterback do well. There is a little hope invested in McNabb, and he got a lot of credit for the performance of this team that he didn't deserve. The defense carried this team."

At the time of the comments, McNabb was the highest-paid NFL player in history, and had the NFL's lowest passer rating among starting quarterbacks that season. But of course people through those comments, which weren't racially motivated, way out of proportion and made it a race issue.

I was present when all that happend...he was bashed for his political lean...he said nothing wrong. XM has every right to do as they see fit...if you do not like do the same as others preach....cancel or turn the channel. You must have personal responsibiltiy. What is wrong with having standards? Certain lines cannot be crossed. Rape is not funny!