'Windows Vista' - The Name

'Windows Vista' - The Name  

138 members have voted

1. 1. Vista or Longhorn?

• When they first announced the name 'Vista' I said they should keep the name 'Longhorn' and I stick by that decision
    • I said they should keep the name 'Longhorn' but I now think 'Vista' is more suitable
    • I prefered the name 'Vista' as soon as it was announced
    • I only heard of Windows Vista once they had stopped using the codename 'Longhorn'
    • Either name would have been fine with me

Now that Windows Vista has been released and has had time to take off, do any of the people that were complaining that the decision to name 'Windows Vista' regret saying that they should have stuck with 'Windows Longhorn'?

well i must say i preferred Windows Vista over longhorn in terms of being shorter it's hard for some people to understand because up until now Microsoft have had 2 letter abbreviation names 95,98(SE),NT,ME,2k(000),(eXPerience) I think now they're breaking away from that which is good and something like vista is clean and simple and was a good choice in the end. I also know its good they aren't using Windows VI for its short name and just Vista it sounds a lot better lol.

I also prefer Vista over longhorn. Vista = View in spanish, something people usually have when confronted with a window. :p

I think Vista sounds a lot better. I know what it means.

Longhorn, is just strange. I don't know what it means.

i liked longhorn but when vista was announced it just sounds so right. longhorn sounds stupid. and american.

It would have been confusing because if they had kept the name "Longhorn" then people would be asking if they were talking about "Windows" or the restaurant!

To be honest, i think it should have been called Microsoft Windows System 2007, and bundled with Microsoft Office System 2007. but hey.

It would have been confusing because if they had kept the name "Longhorn" then people would be asking if they were talking about "Windows" or the restaurant!

rofl... Good restaurant that one ;)

Longhorn would have been laughed at by the general public. Its a codename, and would have been absolutely stupid to name it that.

Vista is good.

Windows Vista has a ring to it. Something sublime, I suppose.

It sounds more attractive than Integer Basic or Applesoft Basic (hmm- Apple and Microsoft?)...

... less technical than ProDOS or MacOS ... and far more personable than OS-X / OSX (which is it?).

(I keep waiting for IBM to chase Apple over the OS* name.)

I preferred Vista over Longhorn immediatly, though when I first heard it would be Vista, I thought it sounded cheesy, but it grew on me.