What do you miss about PC?

I switched two years ago to an iMac G5, I don't miss anything from Windows except for Winamp. iTunes is alright, but it's more than I want in a player. Just a few days ago I was thrilled to find a working early version of WA that Justin F. had worked on. It lacks some features but the playlist and EQ work, so I'm smiling. I do game pretty much daily, you just can't be on the cutting edge of whatever is hot and new.

I'll never go back to a Windows box as my primary machine (my daughter and wife still use Windows--daughter wants a Mac), I'm anxiously awaiting the next revision of the iMac.

I completely agree with you about iTunes. I just want a "Winamp" or "Foobar" for OS X.

Don't miss PC's at all (I've got Parallels and a work PC that I can use in those rare instances that I need to run a windows app).

I probably only miss solitaire and the large game support. Most of the games I like are windows based, so I have to have a Windows partition to play them. I could play through parallels, but that doen't work well all the time. The other things I miss are the wide range of free programs available to Windows compared to Mac, of course, all the Mac apps are much higher quality, and don't give you viruses.

PS: While I do own a 360, for some reason it seems far more Mac like than PC like. Maybe thats why I love my 360 so much :p

Nothing. I miss nothing about windows since I've switched. I am put into so much pain when I go to work and have to use those horribly slow PCs w/ XP pro installed on them.

I don't miss anything about Windows. I have it installed through Bootcamp, but yesteday was the first time I booted into it since like June of last year. (Y)

I'm not really a "switcher" -- I've been using Windows and Mac OS for as long as I can remember (and still use Windows at work to this day). So I do think there are some things Windows does better, although I could make a similar list of things that Mac OS does better.

1.) flash playback. much smoother on windows.

2.) wmv playback. not as big of an issue, but when someone sends you a wmv you're stuck with flip4mac's sometimes jerky playback.

3.) mouse acceleration. the cursor feels "muddy" on OS X unless you buy a 3rd-party utility, which doesn't always fix the problem. I've found Linux (at least the dists. I've used) and Windows both have a much better mouse acceleration curve.

4.) Windows explorer. Finder is not very fun to use. It has a lot of funny quirks and I think Explorer's different views are way better.

5.) Picture and fax viewer. There are tons of preview alternatives but none really get it right, imo.

6.) Visual Studio. Or, more specifically, Microsoft's take on making 3rd party software and the number of options you have. C# is insanely fast and easy to bang out windows apps, whereas the xcode environment feels clunky and I'm not a big Obj-C fan.

I have a mac mini... love every bit besides the occasional slow performance... wish I could expand the ram past 1 gig.

I built a custom PC with vista to keep up with the times, but my next computer will for sure be a mac. I was/am disappointed with Vista. I haven't found any features I use now then I did when I used XP.

And another "miss nothing" post. Alot of people are misinformed about macs, which I have slowly realised. Whenever I tell someone I have a mac the first thing they thing is, oh theres like no programs for that? Little do they know that there are equivilent if not better programs for the mac, and they all seem to work flawlesly. I think PC's and Mac's are good at their own thing, but mainly PC's dominate because they are the standard, if OS X was the standard in the business world, it would easily be the better system. Peace :)

- Brandon Mattalo

And another "miss nothing" post. Alot of people are misinformed about macs, which I have slowly realised. Whenever I tell someone I have a mac the first thing they thing is, oh theres like no programs for that? Little do they know that there are equivilent if not better programs for the mac, and they all seem to work flawlesly. I think PC's and Mac's are good at their own thing, but mainly PC's dominate because they are the standard, if OS X was the standard in the business world, it would easily be the better system. Peace :)

- Brandon Mattalo

Don't forget the only reason PCs (running MS) are the "standard" is due to licensing decisions made by MS many, many years ago, and not because they hold any real advantages over Macs running OS X.

Don't forget the only reason PCs (running MS) are the "standard" is due to licensing decisions made by MS many, many years ago, and not because they hold any real advantages over Macs running OS X.

And Apple could've licensed ProDOS 16 for non Apple hardware and thwarted the Microsoft behemoth eons ago while the MacIntosh was still being developed....

But they didn't....

And normal people rejoiced...

'yay'.

... because they saw the IBM.

Yes- IBM.

IBM could've stopped Microsoft... but... IBM had more to gain by cooperating....

And AppleSoft thus morphed away from Microsoft (who helped write it BY THE WAY)...

thus ProDOS16 was born.

... and the PC world rejoiced, for the Apple /// and Lisa worlds were left without a clue.

It was for the Apple //gs and Macintosh to provide salvation.....

Were it not for educational facilities, Apple.... well....

it wouldn't be no different now- the elusive 'holy grail'.

Dang, I love fiction.... :D

Edited by tao muon

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmh...

basically nothing.

i mean appart from the games that make me actually boot windows.... nothing.

maybe the advanced icq features, then again my adium is skinned so it looks that sweet i don't care about the lack of cam-ing... i do it on mercury (wlm) where all my contact are at i do video chat with

Glassed Silver:mac

Why do people seem to think that because THEY had a problem with something, everyone else does too.

For example, some guy said Windows is slow, buh? Sorry but for me it's not, its lightning fast at anything and everything I want to do in the OS... maybe poor hardware on your side?

And blue screens? I don't think I've seen a blue screen in years.

IMO it's all about configuring it properly, if you don't know what good hardware is or you don't know how to disable services then you are asking for slow performance and blue screens. I guess Mac is more user friendly that way...

I miss ****en round with the hardware, as when i had my PC i got excessively into it every part handpicked running to a specific specification and whatnot, Also miss the games and I use Windows Vista now through parallels for Visual Studio programming for college

I'm a newish switcher but so far there's nothing at all I miss. Unfortunately for work I need to test sites on IE and I groan each time I have to open XP.

Don't get me wrong, I don't hate Microsoft, it's just that for me, Mac just feels nicer. Fast, stable and all the programs I needed were either able to be run on OS X or there was an (often nicer) equivalent version available for the Mac.

Keeping in mind i use windows at college and at home aswell as my macbook for home use also. There isn't much i miss apart from Gaming really oo and wide spread customization.

Since I use both PC's and Mac's (and wouldn't call myself a switcher), I get irked over the mouse differences. I feel like often times, if I spend too much time on one, I squeeze too hard, in the other.

I much prefer OS X's idea of acceleration, but Windows often causes me into bad habits (including gaming) - Hard to break.. :(

Other than that, I much prefer using even OS9 over Windows. I also prefer the default Finder, over Windows Explorer, even though I think the Explorer implementation is great. That's about as close as I can come. On Mac, I can navigate much easier throughout the system by just using the keyboard.

The biggest feature I miss is arrowing through confirmation dialogs. Perhaps someone knows of an alternative. :)

The biggest feature I miss is arrowing through confirmation dialogs. Perhaps someone knows of an alternative. :)

Space bar? I always tab to the selection I want and just hit space bar.

Space bar? I always tab to the selection I want and just hit space bar.

Unless I've missed something, I've never been able to tab or arrow through these confirmation dialogs. :(

dialogwj9.jpg

It's fine when you can just use enter/space or escape, but not for those that have more than two, negative/positive options. I rarely like to use my mouse for anything more than absolutely necessary.

I r nub. ;) Thank you, sir! :D

That is such a huge life saver and can't believe I don't look through that panel more often! :(

That really should be turned on by default (IMO), but I suppose there are more +/- confirms than multiple confirms, overall - And prevents some unseemly accidents for more novice users.