What do you miss about PC?

• 2 weeks later...

Nothing really.... I use all these OS's.... Windows, Mac and Linux.

But my preference is Mac for the zero problems and simplicity.... "So easy, a cave man can do it"

maximizing a window.

This is true, I suppose Apple's answer to this would be Spaces which will help you not have a cluttered desktop with 50 windows. I normally drag my browser windows really big and they remember their size, so after a couple of months I forgot there should be a maximise button.

Many have said before that GUIs shouldn't have maximise modes, I'm not sure if I agree but I'm pretty sure it doesn't matter awfully.

I'm still confused on what exactly the "maximize" button does in OS X. Safari, for example, will sometimes actually "maximize" into a smaller, more squared window, other times it will fill up nearly the entire display. Does it do various maximization techniques to avoid the horizontal scroll bar or something?

just bought a macbook pro yesterday after years of saving as a poor college student... its my first mac and i would say the thing i miss the most is RIGHT CLICK cuz i normally delete files by right clicking on them but now i gotta manually drag it to the trash bin or press delete. and oh yea i dont understand the maximize button either. The only way i can maximize things is by manually dragging the corners to make it bigger. and im still not quite sure how to uninstall things.

but the thing i love the most is when i told the people at the Apple Store that this is my first mac and im switchin to PC they all cheered and gave me high-5s! and some of the workers wanted to shake my hands too hahaha! best experience i ever had from the moment i bought it.

As stupid as this sounds, I miss the frustration of Windows and having to deal with it. For me though I think it was the fact that my prior computer was so slow and that may've been the only real reason why I hated Windows. To me also file structuring seems a little better..not structuring, rather, how it's presented (Windows Explorer v. Finder). I still love Mac, but for me it seems to be that the chase was better than the result

Giga, your tip has improved my quality of life..... thank you!!!!!

I agree with Hessey, i miss all the work from windows like defraging, chdisk, running all sorts of utilities, trimming the registry, etc.

Now with my mac a cant waste time on this stupid tasks.... its like i sit in front of it and never is anything that needs fixing!

I also keep a windows install for the games, the sad thing is that its for games like diablo II, starcraft and warcraft III: I lost/scratched the cd's so i was left with images of the cd's than run only on windows :(

A Windows keyboard :) and a UK keyboard layout. Where is the hash key?

I find the keyboard a little weird especially in its key placements.

i want a mac... but they seem pricer than pc.... i was around town and some person had an mab book.. a nicely equiped one and he said he can get 5 hours of battery when he's surfing the web... dangit.. i only get maby 1.5 hour on my dual core dual channel ram pc with xp... adn barley an hour when i boot into vista( just mainly i think because of the aero glass crap stuff

Get a better laptop, not a mac :)

I get 4 ish hours on my C2D 2.2GHz, 2GB DDR2, X1400 256MB Dell, and that's not even geared towards power saving,

and with Aero Glass enabled

Chris

just bought a macbook pro yesterday after years of saving as a poor college student... its my first mac and i would say the thing i miss the most is RIGHT CLICK cuz i normally delete files by right clicking on them but now i gotta manually drag it to the trash bin or press delete. and oh yea i dont understand the maximize button either. The only way i can maximize things is by manually dragging the corners to make it bigger. and im still not quite sure how to uninstall things.

Hold two fingers down on the touchpad, then click. If it's not set up already you can do it in System Preferences (Trackpad, under Mouse & Keyboard). Or, just get a two-button mouse.

The maximize button sizes windows to what's supposedly the ideal size... I don't really like it. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.

If you want to uninstall apps, just delete them. The occasional program will have an uninstaller, but those are usually things that are more attached to the OS - in most cases you can just delete programs and they'll be gone.

A Windows keyboard :) and a UK keyboard layout. Where is the hash key?

I find the keyboard a little weird especially in its key placements.

ALT+3 :)

I miss the virus/spyware problems :no:

Because of the mac owners ignorance towards virus and spyware infections, when a storm does finally hits they will be greatly unprepared

Because of the mac owners ignorance towards virus and spyware infections, when a storm does finally hits they will be greatly unprepared

You would buy an application that purports to protect you against something that is yet to exist? :blink:

I guess since I have a G5 system (no Intel compatability), I miss certain Windows-only programs for which there are no Mac equivalents. As well, I find that apps run slower on my system then what was an equivalently configured (an cheaper PC). More of a hardware thing - but its the experience, no - no expandability for my iMac. This is also to some extent the problem with Macs in general. Even on the Mac pro, to upgrade you have to buy new - no mobo swap and such.

I've saved myself the headaches of dealing with spyware, stupid Windows problems (e.g. Registry, hardware) and some other things. No more dual-boot from Windows to Unix (yes, there are other ways). There are some really neato Mac programs that I've found as well. And some programming languages + scripting languages (Perl, etc) are better integrated into OS X. In a sense, not to contradict my next para, but OS X is a pretty kick butt OS and its worth the "price of admission".

Overall, I think the "Wow" factor for hey I've got a Mac has worn out. My friends are still jealous. If I could easily run everything I wanted, I'd probably go with a 'Nix based PC desktop but in a few months I'm looking for a new system. I waiting to see what Apple pulls out of its hat come the fall. My iMac though is sticking around anyways.

You would buy an application that purports to protect you against something that is yet to exist? :blink:

This is true but when a virus does get released and does break through some flaw and spreads like wildfire then what?

• Office 2007. No substitute for that.
  • Full keyboard navigation. One of the most convenient things is to hit a letter corresponding to a button or menu (usually the first letter of the word). Tab, Enter and Esc, even with Giga's tip, are only half as handy. One of many examples I can think of now is the Shutdown Menu on Mac. There are 4 options, only one of which is accessible with one keystroke (shutdown = enter). I always get caught pressing 'R' or 'Alt+R' for Restart, which does nothing.