Exchange 2007 withoust SMTP server

Can someone explain to me the purpose of having an SMTP server in conjunction with Exchange. I am running exchange 2007 and everything works great except I do get an error when I run the mailflow troubleshooter. I believe it has something to do with not having an SMTP server installed. The thing is that when I install the SMTP server the Exchange Hub Transport service will not start. I think I found a solution an it suggests that I remove the Hub Transport Role form Exchange, reinstall SMTP server, and add back the HUB Transport Role.

My email is functioning but I do want to get rid of the error. The error that I am getting from the Exchange 2007 mailflow troubleshooter is: error submitting mail 5.7.3 authentication unsuccessful. As I mentioned before I can send and receive mail.

Should I try to resolve this issue and try installing SMTP in IIS? Should I follow the suggestion I mention above? Or should I just say, "If it ain't broke don't try to fix it."

As you can see my knowledge in this area is limited. I set this up for my small home based company partly because I want to learn and because I am a computer geek. Any help will be appreaciated.

Thanks in advance.