What Plasma/LCD should I buy?

Well I have never owned a Plasma tv and for LCDs only for my computer so I was wondering if you guys could give me some tips on how to choose the best one for me.

What i want is a BIG tv, if posible 50" or bigger, Plasma or LCD

The price should be arround $1,000.00

If what im asking is not posible because the price is to low for a tv that big then maybe a tv a little smaller for that amount of money or a tv that size for a little more money would be good... i just want it to watch some regular dvds, watch regular tv (no hd) and maybe (maybe) ill buy a xbox 360 or Wii to play on that tv someday, im giving you this details for the 1080p and HD stuff this new tvs have that i might not need... well i apritiate any help guys, thanks in advance

Any decent TV for $1,000 and that size simply won't work. If you're seriously limited to $1,000, you'll be looking at a 32" LCD.

Well, before people throwing out random suggestions, I would suggest you look at the following models:

Samsung LN-T3242

LG 32LC7D

Sharp LC-32D43U

All three of those sets are great mid range LCD's with very impressive images. I may wind up recommending a Sony or JVC come August, but, for now, those sets would be a great place to start.

(I'm only talking about the Vizio LCD. There are few plasmas I would recommend, Vizio isn't one of them, and none of them fall within your range)

Vizio would be in the same line as Westinghouse. People rave about them because of the price but forget that picture quality is always more important. The picture is going to be decent enough, but with a contrast of only 800:1, it's a bit behind the times. Granted, many sets use dynamic contrast ratio ratings and, therefore, the numbers are skewed, most good sets will give you a 1200:1 contrast before taking into account the dynamic contrast ratio.

To sum it up, if you want to simply go big and ditch some quality, go for the Vizio. If you want great picture and are willing to sacrifice a decent amount of screen space, go with one of the one's I suggested.

I got This Sony Bravia and I love it, I almost feel like crying seeing I paid $1,200 in January for it and it's now $900 lol but well that's life, this set is amazing HD TV on it looks out of this world; standard TV looks great on it too, something that is not true for many LCDs and Plasma TVs. It has lots of inputs and ability to set up color settings for each input individually, and lots lots more other cool features, it works great as a PC monitor too.

The Sony you have is dated compared to the newer sets I suggested. It's also on clearance in most places so he'd have a harder time finding it.

Oh bangbang yeah; those are great sets, I was just saying and showing an option since he says he is on the $1000 range and trust me you can't go wrong with Sony.

One thing I learned is the following: BangBang knows what he's talking about so take his advice.

Before I purchased my 32" Samsung LCD, I asked for his advice and when he approved, I went out and bought it :yes:

I know that most people highly recommend Samsung products when asked what brand of television to buy, but I have to strongly disagree. I am a strong believer that a comapanies service reflects their products and if you ever need samsungs help with any of their products, you might as well have an easier time asking the neighborhood kid next door for help. I purchased an LCD projection tv from AAFES military sales at my previous assignment and within four months of owning my televison, the LCD screen had about 40% pixel loss. After contacting Samsung, I recieved the runaround and had to contact three other samsung country divisions. Finally after six months and dealing Sansung USA, UK, Japan, and Portugal my tv was finally repaired. Now the Lamp in my televison has burned out and I can not find a replacement part anywhere online. I contacted the service department again and to no avail I have been told to contact their Asian division. The problem is, I only speak english, I do not know anyone where I am stationed that speaks any dialect of an Asian country, and I can not use the tv that I payed a great deal of money for. So if you are still reading this, PLEASE, DO NOT BUY ANY SAMSUNG PRODUCTS. Pay the extra money and buy a Sony or if you don't have the money you might as well buy an off the wall brand television. You will be getting the same product in the long end.

my friends house is flooded with samsung LCD's and plasma's of various sizes and they all look great (well the 60" is a little 'eh' in quality compared to the 52 but its expected) and he hasnt had a problem, he continues to buy samsung

me personally, im waiting for the XBR2 Sony 40" to go down a little, its hovering around $2200 online, and i think the set is gorgeous and all the one's i've seen look amazing (not that stupid bestbuy demo of it playing blu-ray, i watched cable and regular DVDs)

I know that most people highly recommend Samsung products when asked what brand of television to buy, but I have to strongly disagree. I am a strong believer that a comapanies service reflects their products and if you ever need samsungs help with any of their products, you might as well have an easier time asking the neighborhood kid next door for help. I purchased an LCD projection tv from AAFES military sales at my previous assignment and within four months of owning my televison, the LCD screen had about 40% pixel loss. After contacting Samsung, I recieved the runaround and had to contact three other samsung country divisions. Finally after six months and dealing Sansung USA, UK, Japan, and Portugal my tv was finally repaired. Now the Lamp in my televison has burned out and I can not find a replacement part anywhere online. I contacted the service department again and to no avail I have been told to contact their Asian division. The problem is, I only speak english, I do not know anyone where I am stationed that speaks any dialect of an Asian country, and I can not use the tv that I payed a great deal of money for. So if you are still reading this, PLEASE, DO NOT BUY ANY SAMSUNG PRODUCTS. Pay the extra money and buy a Sony or if you don't have the money you might as well buy an off the wall brand television. You will be getting the same product in the long end.

On the other hand, I know people who have had great experience with customer service from Samsung. It's always going to be hit or miss. When I recommend sets, I recommend on picture quality and value alone. If a set has any obvious defects in it, I'll be sure to mention it here, but I can't factor in everything and anything that may have happened to a few people.

my friends house is flooded with samsung LCD's and plasma's of various sizes and they all look great (well the 60" is a little 'eh' in quality compared to the 52 but its expected) and he hasnt had a problem, he continues to buy samsung

me personally, im waiting for the XBR2 Sony 40" to go down a little, its hovering around $2200 online, and i think the set is gorgeous and all the one's i've seen look amazing (not that stupid bestbuy demo of it playing blu-ray, i watched cable and regular DVDs)

1. Don't wait too long. By June or July, it will probably start phasing out since Sony releases new models in the area of mid July and early August.

2. You act like the blu-ray demo isn't impressive lol. That single demo gets more people interested in high definition media than any other one I've seen set up.