Nikon D80 Versus Canon 30D

Well, after nearly a year I finally have saved my money for a new camera. I was deciding upon one of two cameras, and I want your opinions on them. I am not a canon or a nikon fanboy so either one is fine by me, but i want your opinions on which is better STOCK.

Budget: 1200, (can get up to 1700)

Lense: Basic Lense

Also I will be using the camera for random shooting such as macros, waterdroplets, and portraits.

All and any advice would be appreciated.

I could be wrong, but I didn't think that the D80 was typically compared to a 30D?

You are correct! Many good sites out there to help you make a good $$ decision. When you start considering the amount of money for the body, remember you will spend a great deal more for good lenses. The kit glass is a start, but most replace it with 2 or 3 types on a dSLR camera. Try DPreview (www.dpreview.com) to start for reviews and forums. Be aware that most all forums are ripe with fanboys for a particular brand. Oh, and once you have the body and a couple of nice pieces of glass, you will want to carry them over you when you upgrade the body to "the next big thing" which means the same manf. Hope this helps. BTW, I've got a cheaper than D80 Nikon. But if in the market, a good discount on a 30D would sway me towards the Canon. Read the details in the reviews.

Brian

I understand about the different leagues thing. Reason I was saying is there is a deal here for a canon 30d for 1499 with a basic 18-75mm lense. The Nikon d80 is about 1395 for a 18-200mm lense. Thats why I was curious as to which would be more appropriate for my shooting style. I routinely use that camera site its just lately I want to find someone with a first hand experience with those cameras to get a good idea of which would be better for me.

If the D80 is coming with a Nikon 18-200mm VR lens, I say you get that kit as quickly as possible. The 18-200mm lens will allow you to take a wide range of shots and not be limited by the zoom. It's one of the more versatile lenses that nikon put out.

However, you might want to take my advice with a grain of salt as I have never used the 30D to know how good of a camera it is compared to the D80, though it is supposed to be better.

If its just for macros, waterdroplets, and portraits. The Nikkor zoom lens seems like a waste.

Otherwise it looks like a fantastic deal. Provided it comes with warranty or good return policy.

You are comparing and old 8MP model (Canon 30D) with a brand new Nikon D80 10MP.

First, why you ended up by choosing D80 and 30D? Just because of the deal you are having right now?

Personally, between the 2, I would have difficulties to choose.

The canon is better build with his magnesium framce compared to the Nikon D80 that is in advanced polymer (some say plastic but oh well).

On the other hand, 10MP is better than 8MP is you plan to print large pics. And I say large! In the past, I was able to print 8.5"x11" with my old D50 (6MP) without any problems at all.

I'll tell you what I say to everyone, "try them in store" have them in your hand and shoot.

Reasons why I picked Nikon (not in particular order):

1. 2 rolls for Aperture and speed changes.

2. Wireless exrernal flash control possible with the built in flash. (you have to buy a module to put in the hotshoe for Canon models)

3. Viewfinder (hot hot hot)

4. AF (Nikon is Nikon!)

5. Better grip over Canon XTI

6. Manual temperature preset directly on the camera (in Kelvin) But if you shoot in raw, this can be changed in pp for every cameras brands

7. autoISO adjusting.

8. custom button you can set to change an option in 1-push

Canon 30D? Faster shutter (5fps over 3fps for D80)

Better built and probably sealed. If you plan to shoot outside during events where it could rain

The hardest part is to choose the brand first. Because once you have choosen and will have lenses, it will be hard to change them unless you have a lot of money

And like others said, read reviews and specially users reviews

gl

yea, it's the system you are buying into. not the body. you will throw the body away in about 5 years. but the glass will always be around. in a VERY general sense, nikon has better wide glass, and canon has better long glass.

in a VERY general sense, nikon has better wide glass, and canon has better long glass.

heh that's the first I've actually ever heard that. good to know, although I'm already bought into the whole Nikon system.

The 400D isn't that far from the 30D and is a lot cheaper. I am looking at upgrading my 350D to a 30D, i dont want a full framed one (5D etc) since i dont want my lenses to go to waste. Wait it out, hopefully a new 30D wont be that far away.

I got a 30D recently - its far superior to the 400D / D80.

It has the features that you won't miss - until you've had them on a camera then lost them :)

and the body feels absurdly solid!

Canon already had a webpage up for their 30d successor (the 40d) so it shouldn't be long before that is released. I would wait another two or three months to see if they release that then you can decide if you want the 40d (which will definitely be superior to the D80 [not that I'm knocking the D80, it's actually the camera I own and use often....and I love it, too] however it will be more expensive, too) or if you want the 30d for its inevitable price drop after the 40d is released.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't know much about Nikons. But after having a Canon 10d for about 3 years I just got a 30d. It's an amazing Camera. It's ready to shoot the instant you turn it on, it has spot metering, practically no noise at all even with higher ISO shots. Focuses quickly even in fairly dark situations. I love it. As for 8mp vs 10mp, that's really not the issue with a good DSLR. I mean, even with my old 6MP 10d I could easily make 20x30 inch prints. With 8 or 10mp that's plenty of extra detail for all the cropping or large printing I could imagine needing. I picked it up the 30D Kit + 18-55 lens + free 1gb card for $1099 at newegg. I thought that was a good deal for 30d kit. The Nikons are good too I just don't know how they compare, but I love my 30d.

Well just for an update I went with the Nikon D80, A deal went on here.

Deal:

Nikon D80 *Body*

Nikkor 18mm - 50mm Lense

1gb Memory Card

+ 138.99 For a full warranty for a brand new camera if i break mine as long as i have the broken parts I get a new

replacement camera for free. I can have up to 60 new camera replacements. But after a year I lose my ability to replace the camera.

I got a 30D recently - its far superior to the 400D / D80.

It has the features that you won't miss - until you've had them on a camera then lost them :)

and the body feels absurdly solid!

Please stay objective and do not misinform ppl. thanks