Confirmed PS3 Firmware 1.8

What were BD's playing at when 720p was selected? 480p?

Well my TV supports 1080i and 720p but it's native resolution is 720p so things usually look best like that on my TV.

When I have 1080i and 720p enabled it would display it in 1080i, when I only have 720p on it would display in 480p. So yeah like you guessed 720p only was playing at 480p.

I'm at school now but I'm so pumped to get home and play all my PS1 and PS2 games! Also checkout blu-ray movies in 720p

Well my TV supports 1080i and 720p but it's native resolution is 720p so things usually look best like that on my TV.

When I have 1080i and 720p enabled it would display it in 1080i, when I only have 720p on it would display in 480p. So yeah like you guessed 720p only was playing at 480p.

I'm at school now but I'm so pumped to get home and play all my PS1 and PS2 games! Also checkout blu-ray movies in 720p

I must have been getting 1080i then, because they looked phenomenal when I told it 720p(but still had 1080 selected as an option). No way it was 480p. I think I am going to pick JUST 720p before I do the update and see what it does, just because I'm OCD like that. haha

So lets me get this straight. When your PS3 is connected to your home router and so is your PC, you can stream video over to your PS3 and watch it?

So lets me get this straight. When your PS3 is connected to your home router and so is your PC, you can stream video over to your PS3 and watch it?

Yup it can also stream music and pictures! Nero Media Home is great it transcodes on the fly to a watchable format for the Ps3 :) But sometimes stuff like fast forword and rewind cant be used!

Yes - like the X360 can

Thanks for the Nero MediaHome tip. I also got .avi files working on the ps3.

It shows up as a 'mpeg 2' file. :D

What about Divx and Xvid and Quicktime files?

I just set up the home media server but I am having trouble getting the PS3 to read .avi files I told Nero to share.

I'll have to play around a little more.

I got it to work. It works great :D

Edit One thing I do notice is that MediaHome disconnects me from Pidgin every 2 minutes.

Edited by L3thal

I got MediaHome all setup, but for some reason when ever I try and access the files on the PS3 I keep getting access denied messages. Anyone know what might be causing this? The port I selected MediaHome to use are opened, not sure if I forgot to open other ports.

I got it to work. It works great :D

Edit One thing I do notice is that MediaHome disconnects me from Pidgin every 2 minutes.

What did you do to get it to work?

The quality is amazing on my HDTV through upscaling, BUT, I cannot pause or fast forward none of the videos I play, which is a turn off. If I have to use the bathroom, I have to let the video play unless I stop it and if I do, I am forced to watch it from the start :pinch:

OMG, I am buying a PS3 60GB! I didn't like PS3 until this firmware.

Wait till you see what is rumored for the 2.0 update :p. The 2.0 update info that you can find all over the net was said to be found on the playstation website but quickly taken down, so that makes me think the list of the 2.0 features are legit. With the 1.8 update and the features from the 2.0 update we are really starting to get some awesome features.

Yup. Both Divx/Xvid work as well as .mov quicktime files.

How did you play Divx and Xvid files? With Nero MediaHome? I don't think the added support for Divx and Xvid yet just Nero MediaHome codes it as it's sending it. But still very nice, I'm very excited.

Edited by cloudstrife13

Impressive Update!

Anyone know of any effective alternatives to windows applications Tversity, Media@Home, WMP11 and so forth, for OS X ?

The wife and I are always on our laptops and store all our media on them. Our windows PC is confined to a room and mainy used for gaming.

Impressive Update!

Anyone know of any effective alternatives to windows applications Tversity, Media@Home, WMP11 and so forth, for OS X ?

The wife and I are always on our laptops and store all our media on them. Our windows PC is confined to a room and mainy used for gaming.

Twonky Media Server

Nero MediaHome

Havent tried any of them myself, yet

I cant get mediahome to work :/ - the ps3 just cant see anything :s no files show up

Edited by Huleboeren

Twonky Media Server

Nero MediaHome

Havent tried any of them myself, yet

Nero on a Mac?

I'm gonna have to look into that :p

For OS X I found Twonky Media Server and Allegro Media Server. The Allegro site doesn't look that good so I'd probably try the Twonky Media first, but who knows it could work great.

Huleboeren you mentioned Nero MediaHome as a solution for Mac OS X? I'm not 100% sure but I didn't think Nero had any software for Mac OS X.

OMG, I am buying a PS3 60GB! I didn't like PS3 until this firmware.

Ok, just bid one off ebay. new sealed 60gb version with motorstorm. $520 shipped to my door. good deal?

For the files to work the files HAVE to be indexed by Nero Scout! When you try to add a folder to the sharing do u get a pop up about the folder not been indexed by Nero Scout? Also try shutting down and restarting the server and also your Ps3!

The quality is amazing on my HDTV through upscaling, BUT, I cannot pause or fast forward none of the videos I play, which is a turn off. If I have to use the bathroom, I have to let the video play unless I stop it and if I do, I am forced to watch it from the start :pinch:

Yeah thats a limitation but i've noticed if i watch mpg's and videos that i have converted using Ps3Video9 then all the pause rewind fast forward etc are working!

Sorri for double post!

Yeah thats a limitation but i've noticed if i watch mpg's and videos that i have converted using Ps3Video9 then all the pause rewind fast forward etc are working!

Sorri for double post!

Is that right? Looks like I may have to go ahead and do that then.

For the files to work the files HAVE to be indexed by Nero Scout! When you try to add a folder to the sharing do u get a pop up about the folder not been indexed by Nero Scout? Also try shutting down and restarting the server and also your Ps3!

I figured that out as well. If you do not click index after adding the files, the PS3 will not find them.

Is that right? Looks like I may have to go ahead and do that then.

I figured that out as well. If you do not click index after adding the files, the PS3 will not find them.

If you dont say yes to popup, the folder will not add. So you have to add it with neroscout enabled - and I did.

Still nothing :/

Did you tamper with ANY other settings before starting the server? :s