Best Linux Dist

eh easy to use? id say lycoris but when i used it there was no gnome support and it uses rpm. Redhat and mandrake are similar tho i hear rh8 is better ive only used 7.2.

In my opinion though the best is definitely Gentoo, its just uh...difficult, to install.

I read a post on Slasdot from an earler Ask /. thread about this very question earlier and some people commmented they're all the same basically. I thought he was blantantly wrong at first but I gave it some further thought and I think the poster was right.

Most of the distros are basically either pre-built and source only.

Personally, I find the pre-built much better. I like Slackware because I like the way it organises the files w/ in directories and I'm much more used to the way /etc is setup. Plus, I know Pat. and the other Slack team members spend a lot of time testing and making sure none of the developer tools will break compiling other software (RH and Mandrake are somewhat notorius for this IMO); of course if you don't source complie it doesn't matter.

W/ the source only distros like Gentoo, you download only what you need and recompile the rest. It can take quite a long time, but you should get a faster running distro if you mostly use X.

If you like pre-built Linux distros the top 5 are the better ones: Slack, Debian, Suse, Man, RH. You're choice. Try em all and pick the one you like. They're pretty much the same - Linux is linux and you end up w/ mostly the same packages.

Ultimately, if you're using the Linux for the desktop only and care about nothing else try Debian, Suse, Man and RH. Your deciding factor will prob. be which way you like the desktop/system is organised.

Heh, hate to be the party pooper, but no one pointed out to the sticky about the guide to Linux distros? There's no need for any "Best Linux Dist" threads. This is all only going to be opinion. The best way to find out about which Linux distro is best (for you), is to download ISOs and install and mess with each one until you find one that you love. I'm no linux guru, and I don't know which one's best. I've messed around with Slackware, Redhat and Mandrake. Personally Slackware was my fav so far, just the nice feel of it. Redhat's getting better and a little more user friendly. Mandrake's trying to do the same. I'll most likely try gentoo when I put an extra HDD and get my new power supply (out of cables) in.

The only distros I tried were Mandrake and Slackware. I don't like Slackware because it doesn't automatically detect the hardware devices. I even tried to install my sound card in it once without any luck. I personally like Mandrake 9.0 since I can do nearly everything I can do in Windows. Nearly everything can be done with the GUI, but I can still do it with the console if I have to. As a matter of fact, I'm running Mandrake-Linux 9.0 as a stand-alone OS. I'll miss playing Empire Earth, but I'll figure out a way to get the sound and network working in VMWare. Then I can run Empire Earth and any other DirectX-related games! :) My biggest gripe towards Mandrake-Linux 9.0, however, is that they do not include Java with the installation. This will be a must once the average user gets his/her hands on Linux.

There's no need for any "Best Linux Dist" threads. This is all only going to be opinion.

All i wanted was an opinion...and to know if there is one i shouldnt try...

thanks for the information from everyone...still dont know which to try...

I don't like Slackware because it doesn't automatically detect the hardware devices.

Actually, its not Slackware, Mandrake or Suse, etc that are responsible to detect the hardware. Guess what? It's the kernel. Slackware has the exact same kernel as the other distros. The other distros throw in a huge kernel w/ everything built into it. That's how they can detect the Noname sound and video card in your system. When they say they detected a SB Live! card, its really a call to the kernel and they output the result on the screen.

So in other words, I would have meant that Slackware doesn't automatically configure the hardware for you so you can use it on the fly. Mandrake, Red Hat, and SuSE all do that except for some USB devices and/or Winmodems.

I started out my linux experience with slackware many years ago (mostly because there weren't any other distributions to choose ;) ). I find it to be fast and stable and relatively free of bloat. I know what software I want (Enlightenment, blackbox, gnome) and what software I don't want (kde, etc) so I only downloaded and install the stuff I wanted to use. IMHO slackware feels closer to BSD than most other linux distributions - I find that comforting. It's a solid distribution and I can understand why so many people are still loyal to it.

That being said...

I'm now using gentoo linux on my PC's. It's by far the best distribution I've ever used but the setup is a dog. It's not terribly hard to configure (even from stage 1) if you have any linux experience at all but it takes a VERY long time to compile everything. On my 1.1 ghz AMD + 1.5gb ram it took nearly 30 hours to get Linux, X11, Gnome, and the utilities I use all running; 99% of that time was waiting for stuff to compile.

There are three things that I really like:

rc-update -> checks to make sure your config files are proper when you add commands to them.

portage -> the _ultimate_ method of downloading and installing programs

everything is from source -> by compiling everything specifically for your own hardware (even the C compiler!) your distribution will be as faster than any other on the market. You can set compiler flags to use features unique to your processor (mmx, sse2, altivec, 686 instruction set...) and you can compile in (or leave out) support for certain things:All of my applications have gnome, dvd, and x support built in but don't know anything about kde or evolution. This keeps the applications fast and the binaries files small.

The way I see it: you spend all your waiting time during the installation of the distro so you don't have to do it when you're actually trying to get something done.