[Football] Houllier steps down as Lyon coach

Lyon coach Gerard Houllier has quit the six-time French champions.

Houllier won the title and the French Super Cup in each of his two seasons at the Stade Gerland and reached the Champions League last eight in 2006.

The Frenchman previously spent six years at Liverpool between 1998 and 2004 when he won six trophies, including a cup treble in 2001.

And Houllier, 59, who has also coached France, Lens and Paris St Germain, has been linked with a return to England.

He has been mentioned as a potential successor to Stuart Pearce at Manchester City and a move to Dynamo Kiev has also been rumoured.

He was also reportedly in the running for the Newcastle job before Sam Allardyce took the helm.

Houllier maintained Lyon's domestic supremacy but failed to match that on the European stage.

After an unbeaten Champions League group campaign this season they fell at the first hurdle in the knock-out stages to Roma.

Last season, having again come out unbeaten and on top in a group including Real Madrid, they crushed PSV Eindhoven before falling to AC Milan in the quarter-finals.

Lyon president Jean-Michel Aulas had stated that he would endeavour to keep Houllier on board but seemed to be preparing for every eventuality last week.

Aulas said last Sunday in remarks reported by L'Equipe: "A good president must have foresight.

"I don't envisage the departure of Gerard Houllier but I have planned ahead with the board and I will not be deprived."

Madness...I thought Lyon did well this year I suppose Chairman wants the CL more then anything....

Its pretty easy to win the French league for Lyon and this year i've noticed that they lost a little more than usual with an earley CL exit.

French League is no way the best league, but it's a good place to find younger players.

And Pompey have signed there last defender. So we are close to the third (Munty thingy bob) So far we've done some early work in the transfer window!

French League is no way the best league, but it's a good place to find younger players.

And Pompey have signed there last defender. So we are close to the third (Munty thingy bob) So far we've done some early work in the transfer window!

The French league recently has become to easy and to predictable with Lyon winning it the last 6 years but I think all this chopping and changing managers will not help either...

Gerard Houllier appears to have ruled himself out of the running to be the next Manchester City manager after confirming he is to take a break from the game.

The French tactician has fuelled talk of a possible return to the Premiership, in quitting his post at Lyon but while City could well be keen on his services, this proposition now looks unlikely.

Dynamo Kiev were also known to be suitors of the former Liverpool chief but Houllier has made clear his intention of taking a step back from football, in order to recharge his batteries.

Having guided Lyon to successive French titles, Houllier feels now is an ideal time to bow out and take a sabbatical from the football world.

"I need a break, full stop," he added. "I will not go to another club in France and initially not to a foreign club. I am firstly going to take a holiday.

"I need a rest. I have experienced two exceptional seasons.

"I have driven a Formula One car that had won four grand prix to first its fifth, a record, and then to an historic sixth.

"We have progressed in these two seasons. I would like to thank the supporters, who have been truly great.

"It is uniquely for personal reasons that I am leaving, not for health reasons.

"It is the end of a coach's cycle at OL. I do not have the time and energy to throw myself into a longer spell."

He had a seasons break after leaving Liverpool! Sven to Man City :p?

He had a seasons break after leaving Liverpool! Sven to Man City :p?

Yeah its got to be Sven interesting tho when he signs up for a manager post the FA Stop paying him...finally!!!!

Wonder who is next for Lyon tho?...

Yeah its got to be Sven interesting tho when he signs up for a manager post the FA Stop paying him...finally!!!!

Wonder who is next for Lyon tho?...

Dechamps is my guess, I think he will be leaving Juventus. The maybe Lippi to Juve? That is my prediction!

Dechamps is my guess, I think he will be leaving Juventus. The maybe Lippi to Juve? That is my prediction!

If that happens!!!...then I am asking you for season predictions :D

Well Part 1 of Martyns Premonition is true...

Didier Deschamps, 38, has resigned as Juventus coach despite successfully guiding them back to Italy's Serie A.

The former France captain took over at the Turin club last summer when Fabio Capello quit for Real Madrid following Juve's demotion for match-fixing.

Deschamps, who had signed a two-year deal, is expected to be on the bench for Saturday's home game with Mantova.

The Frenchman has already been linked with the vacant manager's post at Lyon following Gerard Houllier's departure.

Deschamps had spoken of his desire to manage Juventus in Italy's top-flight and held talks with the club's officials last week.

However, there were growing speculation in Italy that a new face would be brought in, with former Juventus and Italy coach Marcello Lippi amongst the names mentioned.

Deschamps helped Juventus win promotion to Serie A last weekend with a 5-1 win at Arezzo, despite carrying a nine-point deduction because of match-fixing allegations.

The former Chelsea player also won the Champions League with Juventus as a player in 1996 as well as the Serie A crown three times.

Edited by Rappy

Actually I take it back!!!....BBC Football reporting that he hasn't left...we'll put that on hold :D

Well he has now :p

Didier Deschamps has resigned as Juventus coach after guiding them to the Serie B title and back to Italy's top flight at the first time of asking.

They were demoted last summer and began the season on minus nine points after being found guilty of match-fixing.

At first the club denied rumours he was going but later issued a statement.

"The manager and the club, noting that conditions no longer exist for a satisfactory mutual relationship, have decided to part company," it said.

Deschamps, who won the Champions League with Juventus as a player in 1996, took charge of the Turin side last summer following their demotion to Serie B.

He had said he wanted to coach them in the top flight but there had been persistent rumours in Italy that he could be on his way out.

Former Juventus and Italy boss Marcello Lippi had already been linked with the job even before Deschamp's exit had been confirmed.

Deschamps, who captained France to World Cup glory in 1998, has in turn been linked with the vacancy at French champions Lyon, following Gerard Houllier's resignation on Friday.

:D

I wondered how long till it was confirmed...

Lyon might have replacement....

Sochaux boss Alain Perrin has revealed he has been approached by Lyon about taking over at Stade Gerland.

Lyon are searching for a new manager after Gerard Houllier revealed his intention to step down from his post at the end of the season.

Perrin has enjoyed a fine season with Sochaux and he has been linked with a move away for some time.

The former Portsmouth manager revealed he had been contacted by Lyon chairman Jean-Michel Aulas about succeeding Houllier at the French champions.

"Jean-Michel Aulas called me on Friday after telling my chairman," Perrin told L'Equipe.

"He said l'OL is attracted to me. But we didn't go much further.

"He told me how it works in the club and also wanted to know my opinion in case…

"It was a first contact. If things would evolve it would only be after the last day of Le Championnat.

"But I do not get carried away. I also read the newspapers, and there may be one or two other candidates.

"Now the two chairmen have to talk. Anyway it should be quick."

Perrin admitted he would be excited at the prospect of managing Lyon.

"Of course, Lyon would be a very exciting challenge, and very difficult after six national titles. Lyon would be fantastic.

"People will find me opportunist, but you never know when you will get such an opportunity again.

"I have worked in great conditions at Sochaux."

Aulas confirmed he had made contact with Perrin and he revealed he is targeting a manager for the long-term.

"We have thought a lot for a couple of days," said Aulas.

"Indeed we are following Alain Perrin for some time, as before the arrival of Paul Le Guen we already mentioned his name. But we have other trails.

"We will hire a coach who speaks French. The deal is that Houiller's successor has to come for two or three years, to lead the team until we will move to our new stadium in 2010."

Edited by Rappy

Perrin has a pretty good track record in the french Ligue. Shame he didn't get to grips with the english game to quick. His discipline was pretty good. Tatics wise he was ok, it just that loosing the dressing room and below par players made things harder. The many times I've heard pompey dominate a match and not win under him, is sort of sad.

Like a few clubs in the french Ligue he had 57 points which made him 7th, 3 more he could of been 3rd!

But it would be hard to match the sucess of Lyon under Houllier

Perrin has a pretty good track record in the french Ligue. Shame he didn't get to grips with the english game to quick. His discipline was pretty good. Tatics wise he was ok, it just that loosing the dressing room and below par players made things harder. The many times I've heard pompey dominate a match and not win under him, is sort of sad.

Like a few clubs in the french Ligue he had 57 points which made him 7th, 3 more he could of been 3rd!

But it would be hard to match the sucess of Lyon under Houllier

Yeah I agree...he could be really good for Lyon on his FL performance but now Deschamps is officially free I can see him being number 1 target.

Seems Perrin is about to take over...his current club is awaiting compensation from Lyon then its done...

Perrin? Why? The guy who won almost nothing at Pompey? (Including Football Matches!) :p It's all good taking Sochaux to French Cup glory, but Lyon in the Champions League is an entirely different matter. The board have made a very poor decision IMO. They could have attracted a big name manager given their growing success in Europe in recent seasons. So why they appoint Perrin is beyond me.

I'm still baffled as to why Houllier quit, something more sinister up the chain of command?

I'm still baffled as to why Houllier quit, something more sinister up the chain of command?

Many people have said Houllier quit because Lyon are considering selling a lot of players against Houllier's will.

Ranieri has gone to Juve.

Well thats a turn up for the books...I bet Parma are peeved right now!!!