vista ubuntu dual boot?

Your menu.lst looks correct, if Vista is on your first partition on your first drive.

Do that sudo fdisk -l that was requested earlier by someone else in this thread. Post the results here. It seems that maybe Vista isn't where you think it is... :unsure:

Disk /dev/sda: 120.0 GB, 120034123776 bytes

255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 14593 cylinders

Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes

Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System

/dev/sda1 * 1 14405 115708131 83 Linux

/dev/sda2 14406 14593 1510110 5 Extended

/dev/sda5 14406 14593 1510078+ 82 Linux swap / Solaris

Disk /dev/sdb: 251.0 GB, 251000193024 bytes

255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 30515 cylinders

Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes

Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System

/dev/sdb1 * 1 30516 245114880 7 HPFS/NTFS

norman@norman-desktop:~$

I tried this same dual booting process as nukenorman and had no success. I am sure that it can be done, but I believe that Vista has a different way it handles it's bootloader (than the other Windows editions).......

Well I need your help guys. I dont want to uninstall Ubuntu Linux I like it. But if it comes down to it I NEED windows for some certain things and I will have to remove linux by the end of today if I cannot get this fixed.

The "quick and dirty" version was here:

Quick and Dirty version of instructions

for Dual Boot of Vista Beta 2 (build 5384)

and Linux distribution Ubuntu 6.06

Comments and questions always appreciated

in the forums at CommonManComputing.com

-------------------------------------------

Be sure that you install Vista ('Complete' install,

not 'Upgrade' install option) onto the

SECOND of two partitions on a hard drive

which will be dedicated to Linux + Vista.

Next, load up the LiveCD of Ubuntu Desktop

and delete all partitions except for your

Vista install partition. You want only

unpartitioned space and that one Vista

partition.

This will allow the GRUB boot loader of GNU/Linux

to install in the MBR of the hard drive. After

installing Vista into the second of two

partitions, now install Linux GRUB (Ubuntu

or variations) onto that first partition.

Finally, use gedit the GRUB menu.lst from /root/grub

to edit in a title line of:

title Windows Vista Beta 2 build 5384

root (hd0,1)

makeactive

chainloader +1

I saw this earlier, but hesitated to post it, as they were talking about a beta version. I suspect, however, that there is nothing that has changed in the final one.........

Barney

The "quick and dirty" version was here:

I saw this earlier, but hesitated to post it, as they were talking about a beta version. I suspect, however, that there is nothing that has changed in the final one.........

Barney

I already did all that and now it says starting up.. but then it cant find the boot manager for Vista.

I did exactly what they said to do on this page.

It dose not work because now the windows boot manager is GONE.

Can someone talk to me on instant messenger? I need help quick I have homework that is due and I have to get into windows to do it and I cant wait for 3 hrs to get a response and then find out it doesn't work and wait another 3 hrs

I have successfully triple booted Windows XP, Windows Vista, and Ubuntu Studio. My default installation was XP. On my secondary 120 GB HDD, I then installed Vista on one partition. After that, I made another partition for Ubuntu Studio. While installing Ubuntu Studio, I had the bootloader include the Vista bootloader as an option. As a result, the first bootloader menu that comes up is the one for Ubuntu and after selecting the Vista loader, I am directed to the Vista bootloader. From there, I can then enter the XP bootloader by choosing "earlier version of Windows."

Problem fixed. I just Erased Ubuntu and am putting Windows Vista back on. I thank the people on this forum for the help but I cant wait days to get this fixed. I have tried what everyone says and still does work and no one in here knows how to fix the master boot manager problem.

I thank the people in here who tried to help maybe I will try Ubuntu in another 2 yrs.

I talked to this other guy who worked for MS and he said MS made vista to be hard to dual boot with linux so people would not go away from windows. Well it worked. MS wins

I talked to this other guy who worked for MS and he said MS made vista to be hard to dual boot with linux so people would not go away from windows. Well it worked. MS wins

That doesn't surprise me at all. Sorry that we couldn't help you fast enough... please try Linux again when you feel the need.

Barney

Your menu.lst looks correct, if Vista is on your first partition on your first drive.

Do that sudo fdisk -l that was requested earlier by someone else in this thread. Post the results here. It seems that maybe Vista isn't where you think it is... :unsure:

I see... I've become just another "someone else" :(

I did do the sudo fdisk thing and I posted the results. I would of kept linux but I had to get back into window because I have alot of HW that is due on tuesday. If the error wouldnt of said cant find boot manager then I would of been fine but no one seems to know how to fix that problem.

Anyone still know what it means and how to fix it? I dont have linux anymore but im just curious.

:p More likely is that I have become far too lazy and pathetic to scroll up 5 posts and see who originally suggested it. ;)

Haha, that's okay mark... I wouldn't expect much from the memory of an old man like yourself. :p

Oh and nukenorman: I think I know what your problem is, it's something about the way Grub handles multiples physical drives... Something about mapping. I'm not an expert in this stuff but I'll look into it for ya.

You may want to check that Vista is really loaded on the first drive and that it is indeed the "c:\" drive.

I had Vista on a second drive and as e: and all hell broke loose, including updates not working.

Once formatted and installed on the first drive I had no problem installing Ubuntu which I use more and more now, epecially as Vista seems buggy on my machine.

Try in Vista opening the management console (right click Computer and select Manage) and check in Disk Manager where Vista really is.

If it was just a drive order thing, then GRUB has the "map" line that is used to swap them logically. But I don't think that the Vista issue is fixed with that - it is something different.

Well I would be willing to give linux another try if someone knew how to fix the problem. I did the disk check thing and I know that Windows is installed on drive C and I had linux on Drive D. Windows and linux were installed on 2 seperate HD's and yet Ubuntu messed up windows were I could not boot into Vista.

If someone can find a fix for this please let me know. Until there is a fix I will just have to keep using vista.

• 2 weeks later...

I've not installed Ubuntu yet, i'm looking into EasyBCD.

I'll be installing GRUB on the 2nd HDDs boot sector then adding Ubuntu to the Windows Boot Loader (winload.exe) with EasyBCD. :D

(I know my sig shows my laptop btw)

Edited by neo158