[Poll] "133+" Speak

What is your opinion of "133+" Speak  

71 members have voted

1. 1. What is your opinion of "133+" Speak

• It Hurts My Head
    • It Hurts My Head and I Think It Shows Ignorance
    • I LOVE It |)00|)!!!

Seriously Everyone, what is with the use of leet and other 'modern' shortcuts in typing?

How hard is it to type "you"? Why do people always have to be lazy in their typing? I personally loose respect for people when I see someone I previously thought to be intelligent type something like...

"Kewl, C U L8R" or something along those lines...

It's a pet peeve and I'm posting this poll since I'm going to bet I'm not the only one...

It's the wonderful world of instant messaging and microsoft word autocorrect that has led us to this wonderful demise. I cuold type a sentence liek this and word would fix all teh error almost automatically. That's pretty fancy. And instant messaging...if you shortcut and type in all lowercase, you can just crank out the conversation. Especially if you're chatting with multiple people.

But using hax0r speak is different. I don't know about people that do that, or CaPiTaLiZe FuNkY. That just takes more time than it's worth. It's not even a shortcut.

Anyway, shortcuts are just what they are...shortcuts. They let us express ourselves, not necessarily being lazy in the process, but without too much effort either. :) It's true, some peoplez take it to the exxtreemz, yo. But each to his own.

Smileys, even. Do we look down on people that use those? Should they instead type: "Oh, that makes me happy. I am full of glad" Naah, I'd sooner just type :) and be done with it.

Alright, so it's halfway (meaning 12 hours left for me) to christmas, and amazingly enough, it just started snowing here in my town. So again, Merry Christmas to all and to all a good night.

Edited by thingsforjason

Yeah, what he said...

There's a big difference between 1337 5P33K, and shortcuts. A lot of people talk in 1337 because they think it's funny, and a lot do it just to annoy people.

People use shortcuts because IMing is supposed to be like talking to your friend, or whoever. If you're trying to get something out quick, then it saves a lot of time not typing the extra few letters in "you".

Finally - The "Kewl" is a whole different story. It's neither a shortcut or 1337 speak. It's to express a different kind of amazement than just "cool". It's more like "Haha, that's great... Moving on..."

Just my 2 cents. :huh:

I don't have a problem with h4x0r speach. Some time it's annoying but easy to deal with.

What makes me mad is when I make a post and I abreviate you with u or I type in 2 instead of two to or too and some one has to make a big deal over it.

there right though it isn't much harder to type the full thing but I have a question is it harder to read the whole thing?

It is the most retarded thing i have ever come across, as soon as i see it i know its just some kid in there basement shut out from the world around them who gets off on playing counter strike. GOD! before anyone starts flaming me realize its my opinion and im entilted to it! :angry:

oh btw why not ad "It's retarded" to the poll see how many that chalks up!

Seriously Everyone, what is with the use of leet and other 'modern' shortcuts in typing?

How hard is it to type "you"? Why do people always have to be lazy in their typing? I personally loose respect for people when I see someone I previously thought to be intelligent type something like...

"Kewl, C U L8R" or something along those lines...

It's a pet peeve and I'm posting this poll since I'm going to bet I'm not the only one...

translation of ur original post:

53|210u51'/ 3\/3|2'/0|\|3, \/\/|-|47 15 \/\/17|-| 7|-|3 u53 0F 1337 4|\|d 07|-|3|2 '/\/\0d3|2|\|' 5|-|0|27ku75 1|\| 7'/p1|\|9?

|-|0\/\/ |-|4|2d 15 17 70 7'/p3 "'/0u"? \/\/|-|'/ d0 p30p13 41\/\/4'/5 |-|4\/3 70 83 14z'/ 1|\| 7|-|31|2 7'/p1|\|9? 1 p3|250|\|411'/ 10053 |235p3k7 F0|2 p30p13 \/\/|-|3|\| 1 533 50/\/\30|\|3 1 p|23\/10u51'/ 7|-|0u9|-|7 70 83 1|\|7311193|\|7 7'/p3 50/\/\37|-|1|\|9 11|<3...

"|<3\/\/1, k u 18|2" 0|2 50/\/\37|-|1|\|9 410|\|9 7|-|053 11|\|35...

17'5 4 p37 p33\/3 4|\|d 1'/\/\ p0571|\|9 7|-|15 p011 51|\|k3 1'/\/\ 901|\|9 70 837 1'/\/\ |\|07 7|-|3 0|\|1'/ 0|\|3...

haha, now does it hurt anyone?

It is the most retarded thing i have ever come across, as soon as i see it i know its just some kid in there basement shut out from the world around them who gets off on playing counter strike. GOD! before anyone starts flaming me realize its my opinion and im entilted to it! :angry:

oh btw why not ad "It's retarded" to the poll see how many that chalks up!

Haha chill man.

1337-speak is just to have fun :)

I bet you like doing things for fun that other people would consider strange... or how you put it... "retarded".

sure but it doesnt involve sitting in a basement with a bunch of 14 yearolds trying to find new ways to change letters and numbers around on the internet because they've done everything else, and have never stepped outside they're front door.

Generally 1337 words ok for me...words like "C U L8R" is not 1337 word...just short abbreviation. Sometimes I couldn't understand something like |3|_|+ |\|0+ +|-|15 (as Ravager said means "But not this", took me a while to figure it out)...way overdone :wacko:

• 5 weeks later...

I'm with you Cara..I hate it. The 1337 stuff is just plain annoying and stupid, but when someone can't type "you" instead of "u" etc, I think they're a retard. Theres absolutely no time saving factor whatsoever to typing in that manner. I wish more people would wake up and realize that it makes them look like a tool.

Let's face it: it can be fun a couple of times or when it's used properly, but in general it's just plain annoying.

Having a lot of contacts in the hacker community (as in white hats) I know for a fact that '1337 5p34k' is generally frowned upon by hackers (but not by crackers (as in black hats)). It can be used properly to express irony, but any other use is considered lame or at least inappropriate. Considering '1337 5p34k' is an integral part of many illegal hacker subcultures (crackers, warez d00dz...) I can understand why real hackers don't want to be associated with it other than as a sign of irony.

As for those 'c u l8er', 'u 2' and stuff, that's not 1337 5p34k. That's just abbreviations, and I think that's both acceptable and sometimes even desirable. I myself often resort to them when I'm in a hurry and must type really really quick. If you're familiar with many abbreviations it can save a lot of time (esp. if you're not quite as fast on the keyboard as many programmers are). But of course, many users (esp. newbies and lamers) misuse these abbreviations (often in combination with some pseudo '1337 5p34k') in an attempt to 'look cool' and then it's just pathetic.

Notorious examples of unjustifiable useage of abbreviations and 1337 5p34k include 'u h4V3 6n 0w|\|3|)' and 'u 5uX0r' and similar agressive remarks. Such phrases, to me as a geek, is a mark of loserhood or illegality (is that a word?) or both, and anyone who uses such phrases is quickly reduced in my eyes to a filthy script kiddie or worse (if that's possible) and earns himself a quick whack over the head with whatever LART is available.

Smilies (or emoticons, that's probably a better word for it) are useful to convey emotions that are otherwise hard to put into typing, but I more often than not find myself resorting to other, more easily read, methods of expressing feelings, like *smile*, *cough*, *evil smirk*and things like that, as well as common emotion abbreviations such as ROFL.

So to conclude:

1337 5p34k makes my head hurt if it's used improperly (i.e not as mark of irony). It indicates the user is engaged in illegal activity, or is just a sorry loser who wants to make himself a 'kool' image.

Abbreviations like 'c u l8tr m8' can be useful at times but hurts my geek pride (that is, my brain :) ) when used improperly or without good justification.

Smilies are a good thing when not overused. More than one smiley per paragraph is a sure sign of the writer being ignorant to netiqette.

There's a difference between use of shorts for words and talking l33+... On irc for example, it's simply easier and faster to keep the conversation going if you use shorts for common words, so I don't have a problem with that...

L33t-language is different... only script-kiddies use that to try to sound cool... they'll grow up some day :)

I agree with cappuchok and Ravager about 1337-speak, I use it as a joke occasionally ie: my sigs, and on the abbreviations, they

are more a show of laziness, at least when used by someone my age than anything else. I use "@" instead of "at" every now and then.

I suppose that is sort of silly. :blush:

Now THIS is overdone: http://www.google.com/intl/xx-hacker/ :wacko:

1337 can be fun, but not when it's overdone. At some level I prefer ISO 1337 over ASCII 1337. Easier to read even if it's overdone. Does that mean I'm 2 1337, well it does according to my user ID anyway :whistle:

where did you find this? it is reli ovadon but i think overal abr. r useful (except i only use them on text messages)

:alien:

i'm okay with it, as long as it doesn't go and get too technical and carried away like i've seen. if it can be easily translated back into the English language, i am okay with it.

Ryan. :alien: